John Terry

CI

I'm torn on the Terry saga. Well, I'm actually torn on verbal racism in general. At the end of the day, it's just words out of someones mouth! I suppose it all depends on the sort of person you are though. For example, if someone that is black or asian called me a white word removed, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I would probably laugh, depending on the situation.

I know people will disagree with this post but that's just me. I am not easily offended. Especially by someone calling me a white word removed. I am white and I am definitely a word removed at times. That's not racism, that's just truth telling about myself! :)

I've made a few posts similar to this too.

Maybe it's due to where I live, or my age..... but in my area and with the people I've seen throught my life, racism is just a complete non-issue. To a point where I don't think i've ever heard anyone seriously racist (odd racist joke here and there). So because I've had that upbringing racism really does feel like a thing of the past, and it seems that some black people do get overly offended about something that barely exists anymore (racial remarks). What I mean by that is similar to what the above poster has posted... if anyone called me a "white cun*t"... I really just wouldn't care, and i'm not sure why black people would care if they were called a "black word removed". It's not as if they are embarrassed to be black so... in the same way that i'm not embarrassed to be white. Obviously there's history there with racial abuse to black people but it is just that... history.

Maybe i'd feel differently about it if I was brought up in a City though.

Is that a bit of a backwards view to have?

Obviously I don't think any kind of racial abuse is acceptable at all, I just don't think i'd make a big deal about it if I was racially abused. (If i were black or white)

Minefield. You simply can't even safely discuss this on an intenet forum without it sounding quite wrong to be even typing some of the examples in order to fully explain why something is racist and why something mightn't be. I had a decent response written but I don't want to post it because there are too many who wouldn't be able or willing to fully grasp it and would prefer to take offence instead. It's very much one of those topics where you don't poke the nest. Suffice it to say there are many facets to making something racist, from the obvious one of intent and context to who is the historically oppressed, to the specific words used and even to the structure of the language used. All of these and more go into it. But I'll leave it there.

Unless you have grown up having to deal with racial prejudice you just won't fully understand why it could be an issue for someone.

It's almost like trying to imagine what it's like to be a woman and wondering why they get wound up by stuff that seems trivial.

Tom Adeyemi was crying after the racist abuse at Anfield. "Just words" my arse.

That was a bit of a overreaction tbf.

An idiot in the crowd shouts something and he starts crying in the middle of the match?

You'd think as a footballer he would be used to getting abuse off the crowd.

So you believe abuse is acceptable?

So, say someone called your mother a spasticated spunk bucket as she walked down the street, purely as an example. I wouldn't condone that sort of thing myself as it is offensive and completely unnecessary. Nothing good can come from it whatsoever. I'd imagine you be disappointed and distressed by it.

But I have to ask, what would your reaction be to that? And how would it differ to shouting pointless offensive and racist abuse at a football match?

Obviously that's different to being at a football match.

If you saw Phil Dowd walking down the street would you start shouting out that he's a rocket polisher?

I don't believe racial abuse is acceptable just I rank it below violence.

That guy did overeact. It wasn't like the whole Kop was shouting out racial abuse. Just one isolated idiot in the crowd.

Obviously that's different to being at a football match.

There is no difference though. Both are just examples of unnecessary abuse in a public place. Your answer perfectly demonstrates that you believe in a mob mentality and that such behaviour is acceptable just so long as the people around you are not disapproving.

Without getting personal, I believe this extends to your desire to have the Noses back in the league, for your derby pleasure. While most fans are glad to see the back of the Noses, knowing it will be OK to take the kids to the match, the only people that really seem to want to play them are the same people who want to shout needless abuse at their fans and have the audacity to call it banter.

The fact you are not condemning something that cannot by definition generate merit for any party involved speaks volumes for your character.

There is no difference though.

In that case it's discussion over. Most accept that it is different. A sports arena is for venting, cheering, supporting, lambasting. Sport is not 'walking down the street' and it destroys any meaningful discussion on the subject if you try to paint it that way. So, as I said, back to my first sentence.

You cant get away from the intent.

If you call someone a black c#*t, you are slinging off at them.There is no way that you could be congratulating them and you both know it.

So, the words you use show your intent.Its as simple as that.

No.I am saying that if you call someone a black c@*t, then no way can that remark be taken anyway except as an insult. And the person saying it and the person it is aimed at both know it is meant to be an insult.

As for Terry.He should grow up.The PL is not whites only and the sooner he realises that the better for all concerned.I wonder what his coloured teammates think of their captain ?

No.I am saying that if you call someone a black c@*t, then no way can that remark be taken anyway except as an insult. And the person saying it and the person it is aimed at both know it is meant to be an insult.

I have NEVER said anything other than that and I don't take kindly to the insinuation that I am somehow someone you are arguing against in this matter.

What about geography/nationality based insults?

Are they classed as racism?

For example "you Scouse word removed" or "you Welsh word removed" or "you French word removed"?

Â