Final Fantasy

hogso

A word on the way the game runs, seeing as that  was my main concern before release - I have had so few issues with anything it is genuinely surprising! 

23 hours ago, Daweii said:

Final Fantasy VII Remake is being built in Unreal Engine 4 the same as Kingdom Hearts 3. Final Fantasy XV due to its age is on their in-house Luminous Engine which is pretty, but appears to be hard to work with hence why it has been abandoned after one game. 

I suppose this is good news, as you say, a new game wouldn't be aided at all by the age of the engine. Still, if they apply a similar format so far as the game world and towns/cities go, I'll be over the moon. 

And re: your comment of the game being easy, did you not attempt things like higher levels of hunts in the early game? I'm still in the first chapter but have been doing all of them up to level 18 when I'm level 10.

In the process of which I had to do some night time hunts. Go to get the Regalia, Ignis says it's dangerous, let's sleep on it (already annoying having heard it 3 times), I think meh how bad can it be? Lights spoilers for how bad it can be, chapter 1 below 

Spoiler

Two Iron Giants level 30 spawning right on top of me, **** that! The guys abandoned the car, I ran off towards a camp and got there safely. Went back to the car in the morning to find it unmoved across the middle of the road, causing a traffic jam :lol:

I've put a couple of hours in so far.

First off, this game is pretty damned stunning visually. Occasional ropey textures but on the whole it looks lovely and the character models are very impressive.

There isn't much story so far (and almost no cut scenes) so i'm just picking up scraps of info. That's not an issue at all at the moment as i'm just finding my feet with the combat which is solid enough (I was genuinely surprised it wasn't turn based :D).

So, that leaves me with the characters. Wow, how incredibly wafer thin and cliche ridden :) their dialogue is so utterly derivative and daft and yet for some miraculous reason...it really works. I genuinely enjoy hanging around with them and there's an almost fantastical twee quality to their whole relationship. I'm very early in as i've said but i'm already quite attached to them.

Oh, and I just had the toughest fight of the game so far...against a Cactus. Genuine LOL moment when I realised what I was fighting.

So yeah, hopefully i'll continue to have fun. Maybe there's a particularly menacing group of Octotillo I can take on next.

Edited by Designer1

@hogso That's exactly what I was doing. I was taking all the hunts at whatever level I was at the time. Some of those hunts I took on had the enemy level upwards of 12 levels higher than mine. The fights were slow but I never found them all that challenging.

Though due to doing that in the early game my character is now vastly over-levelled for the main quest content. I am not all that impressed with how they have balanced EXP gain in the game thus far. It seems like it could be very very easy to have a late-game level character at around Chapter 3 or 4. I may even try that and see if it's possible. 

That's certainly been true for me so far, take a bit of time with a fight and you can beat mobs way higher leveled than you are. I'm not too concerned about the story fights being too easy or anything, I'm aiming for plat so every level count towards taking down the biggest bosses. I have read that there's a sharp difficulty curve later on too.

I did try to tackle the big mob just north of Hammerhead, in a crater thing, which kicked my ass - although I was only about level 4 at the time. Might go back and try again before I move on.

10 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Oh, and I just had the toughest fight of the game so far...against a Cactus. Genuine LOL moment when I realised what I was fighting.

Cactuar? Not seen one yet. The traditional design wouldn't feature this setting at all, so I'm very curious about how it looks.

31 minutes ago, hogso said:

Cactuar? Not seen one yet. The traditional design wouldn't feature this setting at all, so I'm very curious about how it looks.

Yeah, he appeared early morning in the desert. Killing it gained me about 10 levels so it was worth it!

I am slowly, ever so slowly, falling in love with this game.

First few hours I would have put it as, and you'll have to excuse the extreme nerdyness/fanboyism of this term, lower mid tier FF. It's close to top tier for me now, surpassing XII.

38 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Better than XIII? Please tell me it's at least not so linear and you don't have reams of expositional text popping up every ten steps.

It's set in one of the largest open worlds of this console generation and has almost no story. It's about as far from XIII as the series could have gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginko said:

Better than XIII? Please tell me it's at least not so linear and you don't have reams of expositional text popping up every ten steps.

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

It's set in one of the largest open worlds of this console generation and has almost no story. It's about as far from XIII as the series could have gone.

Yep. What Daweii says.

It's a very different game to the one I was expecting before I read the reviews.

Finding this really dull and boring. Got to Lestellum and about to do the waterfall mission. Not enough 'fantasy' in this one for me, way too real worldy and plain. Combat is rubbish. No story. Boring endless samey roads leading to boring samey garage&motel&shop/shacks/spots, not enough unique locations/towns etc... Controls are so janky, the driving when you can't fast travel is falsely inflating the game timer.

The only thing keeping me playing is the groups interactions. They are all great characters but everyone else are all meh plus the hope all this actually goes somewhere interesting sometime soon.

I really enjoyed Kingsglaive but I'm sadly bored to tears by this so far. Really hoping it picks up and does something different to the repetitiveness I've seen so far.

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

So how does someone who has never played final fantasy before get into this? I have an Xbox one. Really keen to get a good RPG 

Depends what you mean by RPG, really. If you mean a good JRPG this isn't really that game. If you mean just a generally good action RPG, there are better games. As for getting in to it, the fact it's number 15 doesn't matter, there's no continuous story. If this is your first Japanese developed RPG though, there's gonna be some kooky stuff you won't be used to. You could either love that, or loath it. 

As for @Ingram85, it's impossible for me to say, I'm not even as far as you, but I am aware the pacing and play alters dramatically later on. Did you play XIII? Well, XV is basically the opposite of that game, as I understand it. 

Edited by hogso

Â