Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

I'm still completely sickened about this. I think if we had Robbie on as captain we'd have seen it out. Some of the decisions made in the last few minutes were criminal, from both manager and players.

Edit: I obviously mean the injured Robbie Keane, not Brady. I'm saying there was an absence of leadership

Edited by yillan

• 1 month later...

Not getting my hopes up but...

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni said he wouldn’t rule out the Napoli job. “Returning to a Serie A side like Napoli – why not?”

The 74-year-old Coach won seven Scudetti between Juventus and Inter, plus League titles in Germany, Austria and Portugal before becoming Ireland manager in 2008.

“I always want to win,” he told Il Mattino newspaper. “Even returning to a Serie A side like Napoli – why not?

“Am I putting myself forward for the job? Everyone knows my motto: never say never in football. I also tell club Presidents: don’t look at my birth certificate, because that doesn’t reflect my real age.”

Il Trap gave his verdict on Antonio Conte and Walter Mazzarri hesitating over their future unless there are guarantees of improved squads.

“They are bluffing. My young colleagues are simply afraid of not being able to repeat their success. It’s a classic tactic, as in August there isn’t a single club that doesn’t want to do better than the previous season. It’s not easy to achieve that...

“The Coaches are only right to want more influence on transfer strategy. Presidents too often work by themselves and when things go wrong they blame the Coach.

“I used to get on a plane and personally visit the house of the player I wanted to sign. Now things are different, as there are too many agents and intermediaries. You run the risk of meeting a player for the first time on the day of his presentation to the media.”

Link

Napoli won't have Cavani - is the point AVFCforever is making. He'll be off in the summer.

As for Trap to Napoli?

tumblr_lnw0trIf2D1qm46yeo1_400.jpg

Trap to Napoli?  :crylaugh: 

Give it up old man, maybe 10 years ago!

Squad for upcoming WCQ & friendlies:

Forde, Westwood, Randolph, O’Shea, St Ledger, Delaney, Richard Keogh, Wilson, Coleman, Kelly, O’Dea, McShane, Whelan, McCarthy, Green, Hendrick, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean, Brady, Meyler, Andy Keogh, Keane, Long, Sammon, Walters, Cox and Hoolahan.

I like St Ledger, I think he's a good player and I saw an interview (Can't find it now :() where he said he was a Villan when he was a kid :D

Although, he shouldn't have stopped  :flag:  Maybe he hasn't?

I just heard on the radio that Trap was asked to comment on the speculation linking him to Napoli and he said that while it was flattering he was 100% committed to Ireland and that whoever the manager there is is doing a good job.

I like St Ledger, I think he's a good player and I saw an interview (Can't find it now :() where he said he was a Villan when he was a kid :D

I've said for the past few years that he's one of the best players playing in the Chumpionship. He could easily step up to the PL.
  • Like 1

I just heard on the radio that Trap was asked to comment on the speculation linking him to Napoli and he said that while it was flattering he was 100% committed to Ireland and that whoever the manager there is is doing a good job.

I've said for the past few years that he's one of the best players playing in the Chumpionship. He could easily step up to the PL.

...We need help in defence.

I've had arguments with my Dad about him quite a few times, my Dad doesn't like him, thinks he's a bit slow. But I think he seems quite mobile, intelligent (In a footballing sense) and brave.

I like St.Ledger but has been pretty poor in Championship for a while. Leicester have tried ship him out a few times even to Sheffield Wednesday when in League 1 and they even sent him on loan to MIllwall a few months ago as wasnt good enough for them

I like St.Ledger but has been pretty poor in Championship for a while. Leicester have tried ship him out a few times even to Sheffield Wednesday when in League 1 and they even sent him on loan to MIllwall a few months ago as wasnt good enough for them

Oh right I see. To be fair I've seen him a handful of times. What have his main weaknesses been cited as?

I would say as a player he gives you everything, never let Ireland down and except for 3 games against the best nations in Europe last summer he hasnt really put a foot wrong for his country. also a decent punt for a bet on 1st goalscorer ;)

he lacks pace though and maybe a bit of awareness when not playing with Dunne

I would say as a player he gives you everything, never let Ireland down and except for 3 games against the best nations in Europe last summer he hasnt really put a foot wrong for his country. also a decent punt for a bet on 1st goalscorer ;)

he lacks pace though and maybe a bit of awareness when not playing with Dunne

Thanks that's interesting. My Dad feels he's slow too. I always thought he was bright but maybe that's been Dunne carrying him...or in comparison to my own intelligence :D

The Irish bringing 20,000 to Wembley?

I heard that it was 22k tickets allocated between the FAI's away allocation and the FA selling tickets themselves to UK based Ireland supporters. 

RE: Sledge, he's nothing special as a player but come's across as a nice guy in media appearances.

Â