Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

UEFA have stepped in to help the Football Association of Ireland meet its debt repayments for the Aviva Stadium.

The organisation has confirmed that is has advanced a "solidarity payment", understood to amount to several million Euros from its development fund, to the FAI.

Finance director Josef Koller told the Sunday Times: "It is a really difficult situation, because of the economic crisis, and we said 'Okay, we can advance certain solidarity payments'."

The agreement was reached after a meeting between Koller and Danske Bank, the FAI's main creditor, at which chief executive John Delaney was present.

Koller said: "I just said to John Delaney that if you want me to be there and I can assist by explaining it from UEFA's point of view, I will do it.

"Danske felt very comfortable to have somebody from UEFA there, especially the finance director. It was really worthwhile to explain to Danske how important this is for us."

The FAI declined to comment on the report today.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0609/455575-uefa-help-fai-with-stadium-payments/

A CEO on 400k, LoI prize money cut to ribbons, now a bailout is needed on a stadium they don't even own. The FAI are a farce of an organisation  :bang: 

I ended up watching it. Spain obviously dominated possession and would probably feel they should have scored more. But we defended well and created a few chances, although we did kick it long far too much, losing the ball.

Thought McCarthy (in the first half), St. Ledger, McClean (when he came on) and Coleman were all impressive. Sammon worked hard all night and should have scored but didn't win anything in the air.

So who's silly enough then to be staying up for Ireland - Spain?

Pfff, yeah right :)

Sammon worked hard all night and should have scored but didn't win anything in the air.

And I thought he had a good leap.

It's the away (or maybe even the 3rd as our away is typically white). I like it but then I've always been a sucker for a black jersey.

• 2 months later...

Republic of Ireland XI to play Wales: Keiren Westwood, Seamus Coleman, Ciaran Clark, John O'Shea (captain), Marc Wilson, Jonathan Walters, James McCarthy, Glenn Whelan, Robbie Brady, Wes Hoolahan, Shane Long.

I like the look of that team, apart from Walters on the wing and Whelan on the pitch.

• Like 1

Â