Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Republic of Ireland XI to play Wales: Keiren Westwood, Seamus Coleman, Ciaran Clark, John O'Shea (captain), Marc Wilson, Jonathan Walters, James McCarthy, Glenn Whelan, Robbie Brady, Wes Hoolahan, Shane Long.

I like the look of that team, apart from Walters on the wing and Whelan on the pitch.

Why does Trapattoni always name his team a day in advance?

Republic of Ireland XI to play Wales: Keiren Westwood, Seamus Coleman, Ciaran Clark, John O'Shea (captain), Marc Wilson, Jonathan Walters, James McCarthy, Glenn Whelan, Robbie Brady, Wes Hoolahan, Shane Long.

I like the look of that team, apart from Walters on the wing and Whelan on the pitch.

one of the better Trap teams in a while. 10 Premier League players and McCarthy who should be in the league.

as for Whelan I wouldnt mind trying Meyler there to see if he any better

It's a decent team alright.  Great to see McGeady not in the side.  We seriously lack quality central midfielders though :(

McGeady and Cox are out :D hope Madden gets on he has to offer more than Cox or Sammon.

not sure agree with center midfield part while not great we have Whelan, Meyler and Gibson if he returns all playing top flight maybe Carruthers could impress this season and get into squad

Do you reckon ROI can get 2nd place in the group?

They can get it, absolutely. They're joint second on points as it stands. We just can't afford any more crucial dropped points against our main rivals. We need to beat Sweden in Dublin in our next game (06/09). Something we're eminently capable of doing based on our performance in Sweden. We then need to win in Austria (10/09) and hope those 2 draw when they play each other (10/10). If that can happen; and assuming we don't mess up by dropping points at home to Kazakhstan; then second will be ours.

i think 8 points from 4 games will be enough for any of the 3 teams going for it. Its close Sweden are a team facing a crisis at moment(germany game looking more and more like a fluke) especially with lack of young blood and Austria are a team with good young players and id say we are probably in a mix of both them problems.

good thing (also a bad thing in if they were all draws it could damage the team that comes 2nd getting into play-offs)is all 3 play each other and all play germany

I don't think we will. It all hinges on Sweden for me. If we beat them then we'll go to Austria with the wind in our sails. I can just see us choking and drawing with them though. Or worse.

I was in Canada for the Austria game in an Irish bar. My visible anguish at the final whistle prompted a kindly American to get a round of whiskeys for both of our 2 groups. It numbed the pain briefly :) I then tried on Tyson Fury's glove. And no I've made none of this up :)

Â