Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Looks like he was expecting to be sacked, and apparently if the backing means Trap will have to start going to games and watching players he will walk...

Associates of Giovanni Trapattoni were fully expecting that the Italian would be relieved from his duties as Republic of Ireland manager' date=' according to Irish Times’ Rome correspondent Paddy Agnew.

Speaking on Today with Pat Kenny on RTÉ Radio this morning, Agnew stated that the Trapattoni camp felt that the Ireland boss would be sacked and that they are now seeking clarification of what are the terms of the FAI’s support for his continuing in the job.

Agnew said that people close to Trapattoni were surprised when contacted on Wednesday night to hear the FAI had confirmed he would continue in the role.

“The reaction (within the Trapattoni camp) was a certain amount of surprise because, speaking to the camp (Wednesday) afternoon, they were convinced it was only a matter of time before he was sacked,” Agnew told Pat Kenny.

“The business of him not doing his post-match briefing in Dublin and being told to just go back to Milan was, for them, indication that the writing was on the wall, so they were surprised when I contacted them and said the FAI had confirmed Trapattoni (was to remain in charge).”

“The situation with them now is that Trapattoni is now in contact with the FAI and wants to hear exactly what the terms of that confirmation are.Agnew explained: “He does have a sister who is sick in Milan, but she has been ill for some while. As far as the Trapattoni camp were concerned they were instructed that the press conference was not being held and he should go on home to Italy.

“If you look at the statement the FAI issued last night they talk about continuing to work closely with the manager. Does that mean anything in particular? Are all of Trapattoni’s back-room staff being reconfirmed as well?”

“It (the statement) does not look like a big endorsement. It looks like the classic ‘the club has every confidence in the coach’ and the coach is sacked the following day.”

When it was put to Agnew by Pat Kenny that the FAI might be putting conditions to Trapattoni that he would find impossible to fulfil, such as being at matches in England every weekend and attending matches in the Airtricity League, Agnew was certain what Trapattoni’s response would be.

“For the time being we don’t know what the new terms are, if there are new terms. But if those sort of terms were outlined or suggested to Trapattoni he would absolutely walk away,” said Agnew.

“I have spoken to him before about the criticisms that he does not follow players enough and he does not go to enough games in England and he absolutely rejects that criticism. He says Marco Tardelli goes to hundreds of games every year and Trapattoni trusts Tardelli’s opinion.

“’I’m fully informed about all the Irish players’, is the way he would put it. As for the League of Ireland, I don’t think he would see that as a serious prospect at all.

“He claims that once Tardelli has highlighted a player to him that he eventually gets to look at that player at some point, even if it’s only on DVD.

“He says that there are not that many extraordinary new Roy Keanes popping up every day of the week in English football for him to go and have a look at.”

• 2 weeks later...

26 man squad for the Greece game:

Westwood (Sunderland)' date=' Forde (Millwall), Randolph (Motherwell), Coleman (Everton), O'Shea (Sunderland), O'Dea (Toronto), Kelly (Fulham), McShane (Hull), Ward (Wolves), Duffy (Everton), Clark (Aston Villa), Delaney (Crystal Palace), Andrews (Bolton), McCarthy (Wigan), Fahey (Birmingham), Meyler (Sunderland), Whelan (Stoke), Clifford (Chelsea), Keogh (Millwall), McGeady (Spartak Moscow), McClean (Sunderland), Brady (Man Utd), Hoolahan (Norwich), Doyle (Wolves), Cox (Nottm Forest), Walters (Stoke).

Good to see Clark still there (as long as he's fully fit of course) and the inclusion of Hoolahan is very welcome.

Still the usual dossers in O'Shea, O'Dea, Ward and McGeady. good to see he has looked for a bit of youth on Duffy and Clifford see what their like.

Brady has to start competitive games, offered more in his cameo vs Germany than McGeady in his entire ireland career

Ireland XI to play Greece: Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, Clark, Ward, McClean, Whelan, McCarthy, Brady, Cox, Long

Heading up for this, going to be my first Irish game. :mrgreen:

As for the team, I like the majority of the line-up, just need to get rid of Whelan, Ward and probably O'Shea too.

Not actually a bad team to pick at all except for Ward & JOS, I must say I've been quite impressed by Brady from his previous cameo's in the green shirt, much more so then McClean.

Although still raw, hopefully Enda Stevens will be coming into the squad sooner rather then later after a few more Villa starts to make that LB slot his own. Can't be any worse then what's there at present.

I saw progress last night. The style of play was better and the names on the pitch were better. It was their first time together so we shouldn't expect miracles and Greece are a very competent side that we looked better than for long periods. It vindicates what we've been saying. Get the new guys in. Get them playing together and let them get their bumps and bruises and their bad results out of the way. Let them grow as a team so that when the important stuff comes around they'll be ready. I saw more to be hopeful for from last night than I have in a long time. And the performance convinced me that these guys are good enough. I figured I knew already, but it's nice to see it in action. I was particularly impressed by Hoolahan. Not so much by Cox. How he missed one header in particular was astonishing. Clark still has a reckless side to him that will cost him and his teams a few red cards.

Greece are better than Ireland so not really surprised by last nights showing. That said I really do not understand why Wes Hoolahan isn't the first name on the team sheet.

his willingness to pass the ball short isnt one of Trap's likings

Agree with BOF was positive to see players not really regulars in the team but will Trap trust them for Sweden?

I think it would be ill-advised to use all of them and I wouldn't expect for a minute that he would, but it wouldn't surprise me to see some of them begin to make an impression on the competitive first team. Hopefully then the gradual introduction of them all can start.

Even the goal we conceded was good for us, because it was one of the few old guard (O'Shea) who was at fault for it.

• 2 months later...
Â