Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Not sure how Whelan played the whole game, he offers absolutely nothing.

Aye and it is even worse when you got two way better players in Gibo and Meyler sitting on the bench. You can throw Ward and Walters onto the pile of absolute trash as well. Robbie Keane has been a fantastic player for us as well but he offers nothing other then waving his arms around which in the end is of no benefit at all. 

Didnt see the game but from highlights of few Everton games I've seen looks like McGeady has had a reasonable start to the season

Yep, has had quite a good start. I've always believed if he could get a bit of consistency to his final ball he'd be a really good player. Great pace and dribbles past defenders with ease. 

some of the hype about McGeady performance really needs be put in context. they were good goals but Georgia were crap and if had any ambition they could have took Ireland.  O'Neill was too cautious which Trap got slaughtered for and after watching Scotland vs Germany I think both will do a number on us.

as for John O'Shea how is that clown still playing, Lewandowski or Muller vs him coud get scary

Thought MON wanted Dunne to stay on but the honey monster chose to retire? I'm not sure Delaney is the answer seeing as he probably isn't a likely starter for Palace this season.

Hopefully Duffy has an outstanding season at Blackburn and finds himself back in the Premier League sooner or later, he looked decent in the summer friendlies. When the penny drops for Clark and he realises his future lies away from Villa perhaps he'll come back into consideration.

It's frustrating to think we have to put up with Ward at LB seeing as Wilson is needed to fill in at CB and O'Brien has some kind of phobia about actually playing for the BIG. No doubt he'll be starting for WHU this weekend  <_< 

Delaney of Palace for me is solid and better defender, still dont know why MON wanted discard Dunne so quick

Do you have any young defenders coming through?

Had a quick look at the full squad and it seems to be getting on a bit. Who are the prospects other than our Jack?

Edited by dodgyknees

still young for a defender but Clark be probably a prospect, Duffy who used play for Everton but had a bad injury was highly thought of but needs rebuild at Blackburn. Slightly older is a lad at Millwall called Williams who is highly rated there and could do a job

not a great prospect pool, might need to hit the granny rule to find a defender (TRS-T will love that)

• Like 1

still young for a defender but Clark be probably a prospect, Duffy who used play for Everton but had a bad injury was highly thought of but needs rebuild at Blackburn. Slightly older is a lad at Millwall called Williams who is highly rated there and could do a job

not a great prospect pool, might need to hit the granny rule to find a defender (TRS-T will love that)

I might take the mickey out of ROI, but I have always had a soft spot. I think it is mainly down to McGrath, Staunton, Houghton etc. I hope they do well - even if the devil is in charge!

Anyone see the interview, god I hate Martin O'Neill.

click

RTÉ Soccer analyst Eamon Dunphy has slammed Martin O’Neill’s reaction to a question about Ireland’s performance in their Euro 2016 qualifier win over Georgia, saying O’Neill needs to “grow up”.

O’Neill reacted strongly to a suggestion by RTÉ Soccer Correspondent Tony O’Donoghue that Ireland’s 2-1 win, courtesy of a late Aiden McGeady goal, masked a disjointed performance.

"We’re playing away from home today; it’s the first game," O'Neill said. "We've won away from home. I think you, even you should be delighted that we've won the game."

When O’Donoghue told O'Neill he was thrilled with the result, the Ireland manager replied: "Well you should show it."

Although O’Neill went on to agree that Ireland could improve upon the performance, he reiterated that “it was a great win for us, you know.

"I know you don’t seem all that pleased about it; [it’s] not like you, Tony, to always pick a negative of anything. But [i'm] delighted, it’s three points away from home, and I couldn't be more pleased."

Speaking on Monday, Dunphy said the reaction was “completely out of order”.

"[Roy] Keane and O’Neill are getting €1.3m between them to do this job, which involves about 10 games a year, and they haven’t got the grace to stop sniping," Dunphy said. 

“These guys would want to wake up and realise how fortunate they are to have the support of the media, actually, some wonderful players to work with, and look down to Croke Park and the amateur game, and see how the people there behave, and don’t throw tantrums, and have a bit of understanding for professional journalists who have to do their work.Dunphy also made mention of a press conference over the weekend where, he said, after being provoked by print journalists, O’Neill “wasn’t very gracious” in his replies. He contrasted the approach with that of the figures within the GAA.

“It disappoints me because, in Martin O’Neill’s case, I have the highest regard for him, but he just should grow up.”

Â