Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

Ray Wilkins has got it spot on. We're set up ok defensively, but haven't played any football. We've got good passers in the team (as Friedel corroborated) and are not playing to our strengths with the hoofball. Almost zero play through the midfield and no confidence to take the ball in tight areas. I think McLeish should watch Barca play in La Liga and realise that you can actually play the ball in the middle of the pitch! Wilkins said that we've hit it long despite having small players and he's absolutely right. I want someone to ask McLeish whether he's ashamed of that kind of football.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If were playing this anti football don't we need someone to hold the ball up to bring other people into play like a targetman

Of course that would require us to actually have a midfield that can press the opposition and get on the end of stuff and not dropped so deep were snorkelling with humpback whales.

Wow. I tend to be one of the more optimistic supporters, but good grief what an embarrassing first 45. Granted the last 5 minutes showed more promise, but I think there is a real problem that needs to be addressed.

The weird part is, as much as we like to think it's AM's tactics to just hoof the ball upfield from defence, I don't think that's the case. There was this one shot of AM absolutely incensed, yelling at the players to keep the ball on the floor. I think there are 2 problems here. 1 being James Collins. He's not confident enough to play a pass on the floor most of the time, and just ends up clearing the ball rather than chesting it down and keeping it. And 2, we don't have a midfielder who makes himself available to the defenders to pick the ball up from them. Since our defenders can't pick a pass to them, it's imperative that the midfielders make themselves available. This is another reason why I think it was a poor decision to let go of Makoun. He was that link from defence to attack, while also being creative.

I feel bad for Delph because it isn't his game to play the deep lying midfielder who collects from the defence. He's looking quite poor because of it. We are crying out for a Tiote like player, and only then do I think we'll see the best of him.

Sorry for the tl;dr btw.

mostly agree, please post more.

If your watching Sky sports, totally agree what Francis said. Some great players on the field for us, just not playing attacking football what so ever. Not using them to there strengths.

This is the problem. You could put Messi in our side but if you tell him to sit on the edge of his own box he's gonna do nothing. If you've come for a draw then at leas play defensive players instead of attackers who cannot defend.

How can anyone blame collins? Yes he's guilty of long balling.. yet he's been in the side a while now and we've never played this poor. Besides firecrotch picks him even if he is frustrated with him.