330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier's time in charge was not exactly a success now, was it? I believe he needed *at least* a full season (including a full summer/preseason) to shake it up and make his mark on the squad.

And I feel the same about McLeish.

Whether or not he should have got the job is immaterial: He got it. And he should be given a proper opportunity.

What is more interesting is what happens at the end of this season. IF (notice the "IF") the manager is sacked due to poor results.....

... shouldn't the people/person responsible for getting him also face the chop?

I think most people apart from the most stubborn would take a fit Houllier over Mcleish now the sad realisation of Mcleish's era has set in. Hate to say I told you so and all that. The Mcleish's apologists can't even use the usual clichés because they have been proven to be unfounded - sorting out the defence, lots of fight & spirit etc :lol: WALOS

At the moment we are a nothing club with no purpose. Even Birmingham City have a better manager than us who was freely available when we tapped up Mcleish. :|

The results of the poll say otherwise, McLeish easily winning!

I don't like either of them and think both are over-rated, out-dated and sub-standard for a club as big as ours. Randy is clueless when it comes to appointing a decent manager.

Houllier's time in charge was not exactly a success now, was it? I believe he needed *at least* a full season (including a full summer/preseason) to shake it up and make his mark on the squad.

Whether or not he should have got the job is immaterial: He got it. And he should be given a proper opportunity.

What is more interesting is what happens at the end of this season. IF (notice the "IF") the manager is sacked due to poor results.....

The thing here is that we seem to be going in the same direction as last season and this is with McLeish having a full pre-season and no summer turmoil.

The thing here is that we seem to be going in the same direction as last season and this is with McLeish having a full pre-season and no summer turmoil.

Exactly both are rubbish managers!

It was a huge mistake ignoring Hughes, though with the boards currentambition I can't see him have wanting to move from Fulham to us anyway?

It was a huge mistake ignoring Hughes, though with the boards currentambition I can't see him have wanting to move from Fulham to us anyway?

Well, I don't think Houllier was an entirely rubbish manager and McLeish hasn't really had enough time yet but I was just pointing out that McLeish has had a pre-season unlike Houllier, but I guess that could be balanced out with the fact that he has a poorer squad. Not impressed with McLeish so far.

Well, I don't think Houllier was an entirely rubbish manager and McLeish hasn't really had enough time yet but I was just pointing out that McLeish has had a pre-season unlike Houllier, but I guess that could be balanced out with the fact that he has a poorer squad. Not impressed with McLeish so far.

well neither would have made my interview list, even with the lack of good candidates out there. It seems whether our team is split against the manager or all behind the manager we are still lapsing into the same bad habits and mistakes? And with McLeish looking at the defence and I assume practicing defending we seem no better off? Perhaps it was one statement GH got right?

I think most people apart from the most stubborn would take a fit Houllier over Mcleish now the sad realisation of Mcleish's era has set in. Hate to say I told you so and all that. The Mcleish's apologists can't even use the usual clichés because they have been proven to be unfounded - sorting out the defence, lots of fight & spirit etc :lol: WALOS

At the moment we are a nothing club with no purpose. Even Birmingham City have a better manager than us who was freely available when we tapped up Mcleish. :|

The results of the poll say otherwise, McLeish easily winning!

I don't like either of them and think both are over-rated, out-dated and sub-standard for a club as big as ours. Randy is clueless when it comes to appointing a decent manager.

Bare in mind most of the votes were cast well over a month ago, whilst we were still unbeaten in the Prem. Since the thread was reawoken a couple of days ago, Houllier has been getting the votes. Not that it really matters anyway.

The stat that McLiesh only has a 1.20 point to game ratio so far is bad, considering 8 of the 10 teams we have played, are currently below us in the league.

Looking at the reasons Hughes gave for leaving Fulham, I doubt very much if he would have come to Villa in its current financial state. The reality is probably that McLeish was one of the few managers who would have accepted the remit on offer in summer 2011.

Looking at the reasons Hughes gave for leaving Fulham, I doubt very much if he would have come to Villa in its current financial state. The reality is probably that McLeish was one of the few managers who would have accepted the remit on offer in summer 2011.

If you can believe them. Hughes is a bitter man, as evidenced by his sniping at Citeh and Mancini and he doesn't seem to have been offered anything that has been available since he left. I think he may have created himself a problem with his regular quotes to the press and coming across as a moaner. Personally I wouldn't have wanted him at B6 anymore then McLeish. AM was a second choice after Martinez turned us down, and maybe he's regretting that decision in letting Whelan talk him out of it. At least if Martinez was manager, we'd be playing better football and perhaps be able to defend set pieces. If defending is AM's strong point, then it's pretty poor stuff.

Juan, You miss it mate if you think that..This season alone proves that what Houllier was doing was right. Players like Dunne, Collins etc, I doubt would be at the club now under Houllier. We would be alot further down the road in regards progression than we are at pressent, maybe in contention for European football next season/and still in the League Cup. But you are entitled to your opinion.

I thank God GH isn't in charge of us any more. The guy was a shockingly poor defensive coach, motivator and team selector, made some ludicrous decisions in the transfer market (Pires???) and was a PR disaster. And I don't buy that we were playing better football as a team under GH - he was merely blessed with more players capable of individual flair.

As bad as our current hoofball is, it's better than grimacing every time we concede a corner knowing we're going to concede, or watching our uncultured players try and pass it around in our own half for 5 mins before inevitably losing possession and conceding.

A midfield of Reo, Makoun and Cabaye had Houllier stayed on, could have worked alot better than Heskey, Petrov and Herd.

Houllier wasn't healthy enough to finish last season let alone manage us this season... let it go.

A midfield of Reo, Makoun and Cabaye had Houllier stayed on, could have worked alot better than Heskey, Petrov and Herd.

Houllier wasn't healthy enough to finish last season let alone manage us this season... let it go.

Then this thread may as well be closed ...As im just commenting on the thread topic. :?

For me there are the basics of management that you must have in place before building any type of team

Discipline

Respect

Team pulling together

In my opinion GH never got those and never would have - hence no matter what players he brought , or what his footballing ideas were it was never going to be implemented.

Mcleish I beleive does have those elements - thats not to say he is great manager - I think he runs the dressing room pretty well - and the squabble and fall outs have diminished. I think AM will keep us roughly mid table - I don't think he will push on much further because

His record in transfer market is very suspect

The creative side always seems to be lacking in his teams - and creative players tend not to flourish .

The most worrying aspect for me, is the other managers 'earmarked' for the job Martinez and Mclaren - well lets just say AM is the best of bad bunch !

Â