Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

Whether the players were right to complain or not has absolutely nothing to do with it, Houllier was the manager and his number one concern should have been getting the results. He almost got us relegated and that is his fault, he needed to manage the players we had to get the maximum potential from them and he didn't do it.

Failure as a manager of Aston Villa, and would have continued to fail had he been in the job for longer.

He isnt that type of manager though is he? I mean we appoint a guy that spends his life at the top of the game, so tip toe'ing around players just to get a result in a game of football wouldnt be his style..He gives out top class and professionalism with his work, so in return he expects his players to do the same...I suppose he has spent enough time at the top to know what is required, so he turns up at Villa and sets about achieving those standards..If he thinks "maybe I should ease off because Dunne and Collins are tempermental" it would filter down into the reserves and younger players coming through...So I suppose its a case of start qs you mean to go on, set the standards from day one...It will begin tough but as it becomes the norm(just like at most top 4 clubs) players then respond better.. He demands the best, it will upset some but at least the foundation is in place. The youngsters would have grown up surrounded by high levels of coaching/training..

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.He gives out top class and professionalism with his work

I am sorry but he was not a professional when he blanked the Villa fans at Anfield and behaved like a fool.

Gérard Houllier has been forced to issue a statement to clarify the ill-advised comments he made after Monday night's defeat at Liverpool, when he infuriated Aston Villa supporters by suggesting that the fact he had lost 3-0 to his former club softened the blow.

Fans used message boards and forums to vent their anger at Houllier's remarks as well as his conduct – the Villa manager marked his return to Liverpool by touching the "This is Anfield" sign and waved at the Kop at the end of the game after his name was chanted. When he was interviewed after the match, Houllier said: "If I have got to lose 3-0, I would prefer it to be to them as I like Liverpool."

That remark particularly badly received by Villa supporters who were already concerned at a run of four straight defeats that has left them within two points of the relegation zone and ended their interest in the Carling Cup.

Aware of the unrest that his behaviour has caused, Houllier sought to defuse the situation by claiming that his post-match comments were intended to be humorous. There was, however, no apology, and it remains to be seen what sort of reception he will receive when Villa host West Bromwich Albion on Saturday in a game that has now taken on added significance.

"To the fans who travelled to Liverpool and to all Villa supporters, let me assure you that we are working as hard as we possibly can to achieve the level of success which this great club aspires to," Houllier wrote on the Villa website. "Everybody is hurting because of recent results and I and my staff are working on putting this right.

"No one likes to lose 3-0 against any team and, if comments I made in the immediate aftermath of our defeat by Liverpool have been misconstrued – comments which were intended to be humorous, by the way – let me put them into context. The experiences I enjoyed with Liverpool some years ago will always stay with me, as will many experiences I have had in football both before and since, and I have taken all these experiences into my job as manager of Aston Villa.

"I understand the fans' feelings of hurt and disappointment at the moment – I am hurting as much as anybody, believe me – and I say emphatically that we will battle through. Building lasting success at Aston Villa is my focus and my commitment to this challenge is resolute.

"It is down to us collectively as a club to work hard to bring joy and success to the fans because the fans are the most important. They are passionate, vocal and fantastic, which I stated when I first came here. They know we are in this together and their support will be vital on Saturday for our game against West Bromwich Albion."

The club remember had to force him to say “sorry”

.He gives out top class and professionalism with his work

I am sorry but he was not a professional when he blanked the Villa fans at Anfield and behaved like a fool.

Gérard Houllier has been forced to issue a statement to clarify the ill-advised comments he made after Monday night's defeat at Liverpool, when he infuriated Aston Villa supporters by suggesting that the fact he had lost 3-0 to his former club softened the blow.

Fans used message boards and forums to vent their anger at Houllier's remarks as well as his conduct – the Villa manager marked his return to Liverpool by touching the "This is Anfield" sign and waved at the Kop at the end of the game after his name was chanted. When he was interviewed after the match, Houllier said: "If I have got to lose 3-0, I would prefer it to be to them as I like Liverpool."

That remark particularly badly received by Villa supporters who were already concerned at a run of four straight defeats that has left them within two points of the relegation zone and ended their interest in the Carling Cup.

Aware of the unrest that his behaviour has caused, Houllier sought to defuse the situation by claiming that his post-match comments were intended to be humorous. There was, however, no apology, and it remains to be seen what sort of reception he will receive when Villa host West Bromwich Albion on Saturday in a game that has now taken on added significance.

"To the fans who travelled to Liverpool and to all Villa supporters, let me assure you that we are working as hard as we possibly can to achieve the level of success which this great club aspires to," Houllier wrote on the Villa website. "Everybody is hurting because of recent results and I and my staff are working on putting this right.

"No one likes to lose 3-0 against any team and, if comments I made in the immediate aftermath of our defeat by Liverpool have been misconstrued – comments which were intended to be humorous, by the way – let me put them into context. The experiences I enjoyed with Liverpool some years ago will always stay with me, as will many experiences I have had in football both before and since, and I have taken all these experiences into my job as manager of Aston Villa.

"I understand the fans' feelings of hurt and disappointment at the moment – I am hurting as much as anybody, believe me – and I say emphatically that we will battle through. Building lasting success at Aston Villa is my focus and my commitment to this challenge is resolute.

"It is down to us collectively as a club to work hard to bring joy and success to the fans because the fans are the most important. They are passionate, vocal and fantastic, which I stated when I first came here. They know we are in this together and their support will be vital on Saturday for our game against West Bromwich Albion."

The club remember had to force him to say “sorry”

This

A true profesional.........lol, he may at his best have been great, however age has took its toll plus the after affects of the heart and lung machine.......

Good luck GH, happy retirement!

Paulo,

That dosnt bother me mate...Im sure if Laursen one day manages a Danish side that plays Villa in the Europa Cup at Villa park, he too may wave at the Villa fans..And if we beat the Danish side, he too may say that if he was getting knocked out of the Europa cup by any team, he would rather it be Villa. I take it with a pinch of salt..

But is you are looking for a stick, yes you could us this I suppose...But I wasnt looking for a stick..I was just hoping he could turn Aston Villa intoo a great club again..And his reputation would have done that, he would never accepted mediocrity..He is a top football manager..

But you said he was a great professional? Why didn’t he act like one? Why did the club have to force him?

He didn’t act with great dignity on that night; and he certainly had previous on this.

He is a top manager...Not a TV personality. I dont care that he makes blunders in the press..All I know is that behind the scenes he is a mastermind in his work. He can coasch players to be world class = proven...He can turn a average looking footballing nation into a world class footballing nation = proven.

I dont give a monkey's toss how he comes accross on the TV or in the press...All I care about is Aston Villa being a top club again...This man was the closest thing we had...It may not come around again now for along time. You dont throw away an opportunity just because he isnt great in the media or on TV..

But you said he was a great professional? Why didn’t he act like one? Why did the club have to force him?

He didn’t act with great dignity on that night; and he certainly had previous on this.

He is a top manager...Not a TV personality. I dont care that he makes blunders in the press..All I know is that behind the scenes he is a mastermind in his work.

Joseph Goebbels was also described as a mastermind.

He can coasch players to be world class = proven...

Oh yea, A Young and S Downing

He can turn a average looking footballing nation into a world class footballing nation = proven.

Average......Viera, Henry, Ginola, Zidane .........the French team were far from average, was he the manager?

A yea, A Young and S Downing

He can turn a average looking footballing nation into a world class footballing nation = proven.

Average......Viera, Henry, Ginola, Zidane .........the French team were far from average

Average......Viera, Henry, Ginola, Zidane .........the French team were far from average

Where do you think that French team were trained? And who help set up this system and training to help these players become as good as they were?

Where do you think that French team were trained? And who help set up this system and training to help these players become as good as they were?

Fantastic idea and i agree with the principle. Hes only mentioned once though, it wasnt his idea.

Reading the Wiki article makes it clear that hes had a mixed career littered with blunders and foot in the mouth moments.

I do like him as a person (as he appears) but i didnt like him in charge of my club........

Err two of those mainly trained at Highbury. My nan could have trained Zidane and he would have been a good player and he **** Ginola off and he still turned out to be a great player.

However, one of his strongest assets is building the infrastructure at teams. He was a major influence behind the French set-up at Clairefontaine, which was recognised as one of the main reasons behind the successes in 1998 and 2000. He also oversaw the complete overhaul of Liverpool’s training complex, turning it into a state-of-the-art modern complex that is the envy of many a club. Villa’s Bodymoor Heath training ground is already amongst the best, but Houllier is likely to improve it further with the support of Randy Lerner.

Tactics, style, coaching, training for the best in the world...Houllier has wore the t-shirt, sees it everyday, understands it like its drinking wine, its part of him, he brings that to Villa and you dont like it? Yet McLeish is merely scratching the surface. He is so far behind its unreal..And this article asking who is best is a joke, a total joke!

I never said whether I did like him or not but the problem is when you try and argue that Houllier is repsonsible for the success of the likes of Zidane, Henry and Viera it makes your whole argument that less credible, in fact its total bollocks.

Â