Predictions and general chat

BOF

It won't be like that though. Fans of American football in the UK already have their teams, and very few will change. Then it's a reliance on the current American football fans going to watch American football because they like American football and then people who are interested in seeing what it's like. 

As a Panthers fan, would I make noise on 3rd & 1, no, probably not. 

Things like this take a generation to embed, and the NFL isn't gonna hang around in London for a long time.

I am aware, hence my previous post.

Its a really big shame though. How good would it be to go to your teams home NFL game 8 times a year?

The stubbornness of supporters in the UK is irritating

Can't disagree more.

I know a Canadian guy who was a Pats fan. The Bills suddenly play games in Canada and they become his new team. Where's the loyalty in that? Just dropping your team because another one becomes more convenient?

I think loyalty is a trait to admire, not to be criticised for. If they brand it as a British team, I'd happily support them in none-Giants games. If they go with the London angle, then why would I support a London team? They're as little to do with me as New York.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 3

It won't be like that though. Fans of American football in the UK already have their teams, and very few will change. Then it's a reliance on the current American football fans going to watch American football because they like American football and then people who are interested in seeing what it's like. 

Things like this take a generation to embed, and the NFL isn't gonna hang around in London for a long time.

Its a really big shame though. How good would it be to go to your teams home NFL game 8 times a year?

You're saying that I, and others, are being stubborn because we won't change allegiance to another team? If so, that's ridiculous.

I chose the Panthers as my team 3 years ago (I know it's a short time, but the bond is there). I genuinely couldn't care how the (potential) London franchise does. It'll more than likely tank. Anyway, I don't even think there should be a franchise over here at all. 

Can't disagree more.

I know a Canadian guy who was a Pats fan. The Bills suddenly play games in Canada and they become his new team. Where's the loyalty in that? Just dropping your team because another one becomes more convenient?

I think loyalty is a trait to admire, not to be criticised for. If they brand it as a British team, I'd happily support them in none-Giants games. If they go with the London angle, then why would I support a London team? They're as little to do with me as New York.

As they say on all the best forums. This 

I dont think Loyalty like that is a trait to admire, I would say the most Loyal fans are liverpool fans and they nearly seem like a cult but as i am on a soccer forum i will leave it there as there is no point arguing the case. We will agree to disagree.

The London Franchise will no doubt tank and attending games at wembley will never be anything like the real thing due to this loyalty which as i said is a shame.

If they brand it as a British team, I'd happily support them in none-Giants games. If they go with the London angle, then why would I support a London team? They're as little to do with me as New York.

So if its called British they have more to do with you but if its called London it has as little as New York? 

If they brand it as a British team, I'd happily support them in none-Giants games. If they go with the London angle, then why would I support a London team? They're as little to do with me as New York.

So if its called British they have more to do with you but if its called London it has as little as New York? 

Because I'm British, yeah. If they bring a team over with the idea of embracing all of Britain, then that includes me. Just like I support Team GB, but don't support Scotland/Wales, it's the same concept. But if they're bring a team over and it's all London this and that, then you're alienating the rest of the country IMO. It's the same reason I, and probably many others, don't follow Premier League sides in Europe, they're nothing to do with me. I've probably only been to London about 10 times, even then it was for Villa/England/Nets/Giants games. I've spent more time in New York than I have London, so by that logic the Giants should be my team anyway.

• Like 1

"A football life" with Terrell Davis tonight. Nice!!

In his 2000 yard season he sat out 2 whole games worth of garbage time. 8 frigging quarters. If you think he was just another Chris Johnson you are gravely mistaking. And his post-season stats speak for themselves. His only setback, friendly fire knee-blowout hunting a interception cutting his career in half.

Leauge MVP, SB MVP, 2x SB champion, 2000 yards

Greatest RB of all time over a 19 game season

Rk Player Age Year Team G Runs Yards YPC TD Result

1 Terrell Davis 26 1998 DEN 19 470 2,476 5.27 24 Won SB

HOF if there ever was one.

Edited by Tegis

If he truly did sit out 8 quarters of that season, he still had 392 carries which is the 7th most of all time. Johnson only had 358 in his 2k year and added another 500 or so yards receiving, which I believe is the season record for yards from scrimmage. 

I would personally have an extra person go into the HoF each year, that takes things like these into account. Have players who had amazing starts to their career that were cut short due to injuries, or players in positions like punter/kicker where they don't really get much credit or deemed worthy enough to get in amongst position player stars, maybe have general managers and the like too. Because TD isn't going to get in the HoF with 4 good seasons and 7.5k yards otherwise and that's a shame, because injuries shouldn't define a career.

Edited by kurtsimonw

If he truly did sit out 8 quarters of that season, he still had 392 carries which is the 7th most of all time. Johnson only had 358 in his 2k year and added another 500 or so yards receiving, which I believe is the season record for yards from scrimmage. 

We were run-heavy as **** :) And he could handle it, every down back.

I might have been a bit harsh on CJ2K, it's more the non factor he was for the Titans in the grand scheme of things. AP suffers from the same. Thats more a testament to the bad way those teams are operating, Davis took the Broncos by the neck and dragged us to the absolute top from being pretty good. Elway was great but three losing SB by annihilation shows how much a piece of the puzzle Davis was.

I'm fanboying hard :)

The London team thing is an idiotic idea and I really hope it doesn't happen. Imagine if the FA decided to put a new club in the USA. There would be an absolute uproar, and rightfully so. If this does happen though, the league would be smart to name them the "England Crusaders" or whatever, not limiting themselves to a London market. But because the league brass are all idiots, they'll keep London in the name.

It is amazing to me that getting a team in London is a higher priority than getting a team back in L.A., the second biggest market in the US. 

• Like 2

Stayed up in London last night , my train into Town and all through the day we just kept seeing NFL fans

Putting it in perspective when i'm in town and arsenal or Spurs are playing I don't see as many football shirts

I guess it's a good money maker for London in general having these games ? Lot of fans sounded liken they had come over from the states for the game and made a short holiday out of the trip ... Maybe as a novelty but would fans from the U.S. Do it time and time again ?

And stupidity of the week award goes to Lamarr Houston. Tore his ACL, out for season, after celebrating a sack on Jimmy Garoppolo while down 48-23.

Oh dear

lamarr-houston.gif

Â