Photography?

trimandson

Chuffed to see a Photography topic - Some fantastic photo's in here.

Looking for my first DSLR, Anyone have any suggestions/advice?

I'll be doing a lot of Nightlife/nightclub shoots, Sport too hopefully. I was told to get the Nikon D5000? Bare in mind i have minimal experience with SLR's, Have used them occasionally at College so i'm not completely clueless. Budget is about £400-£600.

I'll be doing a lot of Nightlife/nightclub shoots, Sport too hopefully. I was told to get the Nikon D5000? Bare in mind i have minimal experience with SLR's, Have used them occasionally at College so i'm not completely clueless. Budget is about £400-£600.

Buying a DSLR - Chose Nikon or Canon.

Trouble is ith what you want to do, you'll need a fast lens (f2.8 or bigger, wide angle) for the nightclub / dark interior stuff and a fairly long lens (300mm) for the sport stuff (preferably the faster the better), neither of those lenses are cheap, both will be more expensive than the body

Buying a DSLR - Chose Nikon or Canon.

Trouble is ith what you want to do, you'll need a fast lens (f2.8 or bigger, wide angle) for the nightclub / dark interior stuff and a fairly long lens (300mm) for the sport stuff (preferably the faster the better), neither of those lenses are cheap, both will be more expensive than the body

To be honest mate im not too bothered about getting overly technical with the lenses until i get more funds of corse, As long as i can take decent shots & edit them i'm happy.

Is it still possible to get good results using manual settings in a poorly lighten area using a Nikon D5000? i ask because a mate of mine wants me to take some photos for a night he has coming up.

I'll be getting a Nikon because i can get a nice discount on them.

I've had the Nikon D3100 for about 6 months or so now, it's awesome and I fully recommend it. Think it has a slightly better spec than the D5000, and it's well within your budget. Decent kit lens to in the 18-55mm.

Performs pretty well at high ISO. Bought the 35mm f1.8 lens which produces some really nice images in low-light. Haven't used it for any club/night photography thought but its always done well at parties. As said above though, it's all about the lenses, as good as the kit lens is I usually have my super 10-20mm wide angle or 35mm lens on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Came accross this this morning, thought you guys might find it interesting..

2gtya8z.jpg

The Most Beautiful Suicide

On May Day, just after leaving her fiancé, 23-year-old Evelyn McHale wrote a note. ‘He is much better off without me … I wouldn’t make a good wife for anybody,’ … Then she crossed it out. She went to the observation platform of the Empire State Building. Through the mist she gazed at the street, 86 floors below. Then she jumped. In her desperate determination she leaped clear of the setbacks and hit a United Nations limousine parked at the curb. Across the street photography student Robert Wiles heard an explosive crash. Just four minutes after Evelyn McHale’s death Wiles got this picture of death’s violence and its composure. The serenity of McHale’s body amidst the crumpled wreckage it caused is astounding. Years later, Andy Warhol appropriated Wiles’ photography for a print called Suicide (Fallen Body).

• 1 month later...

Debated whether this should go in the Phunnay Pics thread or here, but...

You Are Not a Photographer

How many people do you know that bought a nice camera, started a Facebook page and called it a photography business? Having a DSLR does not make you a professional photographer. We're outing these no talents with daily pictures from the worst of the web. We only post pictures that were from a photography "business," and we use that term lightly. Maybe you are one of those photographers. Have a good laugh at yourself. You submit the photos, and we provide the snark.

tumblr_lqh2lxmepc1qgr205o1_500.png

tumblr_lpzlaqnphK1qgr205o1_500.png

tumblr_lpzmbriy2G1qgr205o1_500.png

• 2 weeks later...

6124199519_ee18cb0d6f_z.jpg

o.k., first day with my 'new' Lumix G1 which is a borrow from someone that upgraded without trading in.

Photo taken earlier today on Sheppey and it is NOT in black and white. Oh yes, it's difficult to beat a traditional British holiday.

Please do give any crit you care to, I haven't cropped tweeked or fiddled with it in anyway. Spots in the sky on the right must be birds or litter!

It's early days.

Well, the pros will hopefully be in later with more informed criticism, but my comments anyway:

It's a really interesting scene, and skyline, but maybe earlier/later would be more interesting. A lot of empty sky in this shot makes it hard to see eg the boats on the river.

Is it automatic exposure? Seems like the detail is blacked out because the camera is exposing for the average of the light that it sees. You need to override the camera. It doesn't know what it's doing.

There's a couple of interesting scenes within the shot, like the bottom right and the lower left quarter. Might be worth getting more detailed about those, as well as the overall shot.

cheers, yeah auto exposure was on. I was trying to see how intuitive it was (mauals are for girls and all that). But this doesn't work when I'm looking at buttons and dials that don't let me change the f stop or speed. Yes, I'm that far behind. I'll have another visit to this spot soon enough for another go.

Next week's assignment, London without tourist cliche shot.

I like it but think it could have been slightly better executed, if thats is natural mono, then bottle it, my only real criticism is that the horizon seems to be at a very slight angle. I like shots like that, the sillouetted industrial / urban landscape thing, though another slight crit would be that the curve of the shoreline in that light is a natural leading line that is slightly wasted in that it is too far right in the image as it leads the eye to the far right of the picture, a couple of steps to the right may have solved that but despite that I think is a decent shot

Agree with Bicks, I like the photo overall but have a read up on "thirds". You've got all the ingredients there for a great photo, and bit of minor tweaking would make it excellent. Not that I know what I'm on about or 'owt!

Â