Photography?

trimandson

I took this in my garden with a point and shoot type, for some reason I really like it.

sdc10213z.jpg

Feck, you even like ginger-ish insects!

They look quite heavily touched up, which I'm not generally a fan of, however they're shots to be proud of I think Roonst. Great work.

Quality on the last few pages has been really good and particularly liked the set in Brum a page or so back.

roonst, you're clearly using some HDR techniques, care to share them?

Absolutly Bicks. You're right those shots were edited using HDR techniques. Basically I had auto bracketted the original shot so that it created images that were both under and over exposed. However, my camera (Nikon D40) does not have this function built into the camera unlike alot of SLR cameras, therefore I manually over and exposed each shot. From here I used the software Photomatix which allows you to tonal map your images after combining all the exposed shots into one image. Then I took some time editing the many features within Photomatix such as saturation, strength, luminosity, shadows, white balance etc until I was happy with the final image. The I processed it.

Im relatively new to HDR but it can change the way you think about certain scenes/photo opportunities. For example, I was out running the other week and passed this disused barn (see below), ive probably run past this plenty of times - but after experimenting with HDR I could see an opportunity for making an interesting composition, so I went with my camera to shoot it then edited it using HDR techniques.

2ak0h9l.jpg

Those NYC pictures remind me strongly of some of the "post-apocalypse" artwork that abounds on the net. Was that deliberate?

I didnt set out with that in mind no, but when I was post-editing I chosethe effect that I felt worked the best in HDR and it turned out to be more dramatic, atmospheric and, as you say, 'post apolocalyptic' than expectd. The barn image, however, I always had in mind to create in a creepy and sinsiter way.

Ps, thanks AVFCLaura. :winkold:

OK Technical question, what is photomatix like if you only use one raw file and then create 3 images, one two stops under, one correct exposure, one 2 stops over?

This is what I did with the photos you can see above - because my camera doesnt have the function to autobracket. As you say, I chose two under, one correct and two over (sometimes 3 under and over to maximise detail). My original file was a RAW file and then the other images thereafter were .Tiff files (16 bit).

Â