Gym Routine

olboydave

There is an inherent danger in the way it motivates me though and I realise that. If you see failure not being an option then you are half way towards injuring yourself out of pure pig-headedness. I've managed so far to avoid that happening (apart from a tweak which wasn't caused by peer pressure), so hopefully I know when to stop. Most of the time, I pay no attention to what's around me, as that's the first thing my first instructor said for me to do.

Anyone know a good site for gym clothing? I'm currently wearing football jerseys which is fine. But I don't want to risk looking like a full-kit rocket polisher even if they are a generic pair of shorts :lol:

45H23TWHT_large.jpg

arnold_is_numero_uno_tshirt-p235867450764297625q6v8_400.jpg

Recently spotted in the gym I go to being worn without irony.

Started 5 weeks ago, and as of last week I'd lost half a stone. I'm fairly fit, qualified gym instructor and know what I'm doing. When I hit 18 though beer and kebabs on nights out took over my life. 2 yeras later and I'm paying the price. I love the feeling of coming out after a good session. Can feel the difference already, even though its a complete pain in the arse having to buy a new pair of jeans already

So I've finally got over my fear of the 'big boy weights' and did my first session of the strong lifts programme. I'm pleased I did it, but i did still feel a little self-conscience when i was doing my stuff, but i'm sure the more time i spend over there and when i start putting more weights on I’ll feel a bit happier.

But anyway day 1 done :)

Great work mate!

Don't worry about feeling self concious, I think it's natural.

If anyone judges you at the gym then they're a complatee clearing in the woods in my opinion. Just trust in what you're doing and take no notice what other people think.

As you get used to the programme and your form you'll realise how many people at the gym don't actually know what the **** they're doing.

Welcome to the programme bcarpet :clap: It's important to do the light weights because that's where you learn the proper form without injuring yourself. I must have been lucky because I never encountered any judgemental or derisory looks from more experienced lifters when I started. It won't be long before the weight goes up and your self-consciousness disappears. You will become addicted to it (in a healthy way!).

So I've finally got over my fear of the 'big boy weights' and did my first session of the strong lifts programme. I'm pleased I did it, but i did still feel a little self-conscience when i was doing my stuff, but i'm sure the more time i spend over there and when i start putting more weights on I’ll feel a bit happier.

But anyway day 1 done :)

No need to feel self conscious mate, the vast majority of people in the gym haven't got the first idea what they're doing anyway so if anyone does judge you they're almost certainly an idiot. You might find that 5x5 quickly becomes too much as you get into the higher weight ranges, if so don't be afraid to dial back the number of sets (I now do 3x5).

Or try Madcow 5x5

5 sets of 5 but you ramp up your weights so you're really only doing one set at or near your max.

And it seems to work. I've been on it for 7 weeks and I've smashed all my previous PB lifts (and all are stil rising) and added 7lbs of LBM (and a few pounds of fat but that's to be expected...) so far.

I think it can be hard not to feel self conscious when your first starting out. I think had I being able to train with my mate who is well into lifting weights I wouldn't have felt that way at all, But i'll stick with it.

I saw on the stronglift spreadsheet it talks about going onto Madcow, I don't really know anything about it if I am being honest. However, i think it might be a little while before I need to change anything.

I really need to get my diet sorted out next really as I know next to nothing about what I should and shouldn't be eating past the obvious! Problem I find, is when I try to read anything on nutrition it tends to either bore me to tears or go over my head!

Assuming you're looking to build muscle (bulk), then read this. There's an excellent Nutrition section on there.

If and when you're looking to burn fat (cut) then read this. Again, an excellent nutritional section.

It's important to know the differences between a bulking and a cutting diet.

When I was lifting (and struggling with) 52.5kg on the bench press, 70kg looked a long long way off. But now I'm there. Succeeded @ 67.5kg on Tuesday which was my 2nd attempt at the weight. Chuffed. Today is deadlift day :D 112.5kg easy peasy.

It's funny. I know I could progress more quickly on the deadlift but I'm refusing to. Simply because I want to do it 'the right way'. I know I'll run out of automatic progress eventually on it, so I just want to enjoy these weights. But it still makes me curious as to what I could lift if I really went for it.

And on that note. A question. Because of the nature of the SL5x5 programme, you never have the opportunity to do your 1 rep max. Has anyone fitted that in? I know I can bench 67.5kg 25 times. But I don't want to hinder my recovery on rest days nor affect my 5x5 workout on active days in order to find out, yet I'm curious what I could lift. I just never get a chance. I think that's the first thing I'll do if and when I switch over to madcow. If 300lbs squat is the average cutoff from 5x5 to madcow then I've a while to go yet. Today will be 231lbs (105kg).

Well I'm on Madcow and I'm nowhere near a 300lb squat. I'm only slightly ahead of you (110kg)

I don't think having one day where you go for your 1RM will affect you, not significantly anyway.

If you did it every week then you'd have a problem. But just doing i once out of curiosity won't hurt

I haven't done it myself for ages!

But you're right to resist the urge to just ramp up the weights. You'll hit your maxes sooner or later, btu they'l be higher than if you jumped to them now.

Â