Gym Routine

olboydave

Back in the gym tonight after precisely 2 weeks off. I cannot be bothered and have no motivation for it.

I find that the additctiveness of progress is what keeps me interested and motivated. Having had 2 weeks off, I know I wont be up to scratch and I can see myself ducking out.

Surely you won't have slipped much; if at all; in 2 weeks. You might surprise yourself. If you can see yourself 'ducking out' then I'd worry that you've decided that you already have if you know what I mean.

I went, which I was quite pleased about, but I wasn't quite up to the level of strength I had before my 2 week break. This may have been psychological as much as anything but I was finding it difficult to get up to 8/9 reps for my usual weights by the end of the session.

Will go again tonight in an attempt to get fully back on track.

Back in the gym tonight after precisely 2 weeks off. I cannot be bothered and have no motivation for it.

I find that the additctiveness of progress is what keeps me interested and motivated. Having had 2 weeks off, I know I wont be up to scratch and I can see myself ducking out.

Surely you won't have slipped much; if at all; in 2 weeks. You might surprise yourself. If you can see yourself 'ducking out' then I'd worry that you've decided that you already have if you know what I mean.

I went, which I was quite pleased about, but I wasn't quite up to the level of strength I had before my 2 week break. This may have been psychological as much as anything but I was finding it difficult to get up to 8/9 reps for my usual weights by the end of the session.

Will go again tonight in an attempt to get fully back on track.

Strength training and doing 8/9 reps?

I'm guessing it's ass to grass as in good form? Yeah perfect form.

EDIT : You beat me to it :)

Guy in work reckons there's no reason you shouldn't be able to squat 100kg because legs are very strong. I know it's not quite that straight forward but in essence he's right. The strength is there. It's just balance and resting that bar that's more difficult :)

To be fair, I'm training with a mate at the moment, he's a big guy, probably about 17 stone (fat, not muscle) and he's **** strong.

He's keeping up with me on Squats (but he's clearly more or less at his max whereas I'll carry on progressing for a few more weeks) and he's never deadlifted before but he's lifting 125kg for 5 reps at the moment.

He sucks at bench press though.

But yeah, just being big does give you a certain amount of strength.

Started my new gym last night. Really was the 'new kid'. Didn't know where machines were; walking around like a lost lamb for a while. Their machines are different and not necessarily better. My old gym had this kind of ab crunch which is very good because all forward power comes from your ... abs! My new gym has this one where you can clearly see that you could cheat with arms and shoulders. I'll get used to it I suppose.

Also, the power racks are different. Old gym | New gym. Not overly fond of being enclosed within a cage because it limits your movement to some extent but; again; I'll get used to it I suppose.

I did finally reach my first 100kg weight though. Squats. With deadlift at 97.5kg so that'll also be 100kg on Saturday :hooray:

If that picture is right then your new gym only has a Smith machine? Not a real squat rack?

That sucks.

Good work on the squats though!

I'm hitting over 100kg myself this week in my linear progression. So setting some new PRs (I'd squatted more than 100kg before but with sloppy form, so I started from scracth and I'm working my way back up)

No it is a rack, not a smith machine. It doesn't have rails. It's just that when you lift the bar off the hook, you 'reverse' back into the square floor within the overall cage. It is a fully free bar though.

EDIT : Yeah that pic isn't quite right. It's essentially that but without the smith (i.e. limited movement) bit.

As for the squats. The only thing I'm now having to concentrate on is my knees not slightly buckling inwards on the lift. It's easy enough to avoid but it does need a little concentration because that amount of weight makes them naturally try and do that. I'm still not near my limit on that or deadlift though. I'm struggling on overhead. I think I'll complete 45kg on Saturday but I've been at that for a while. I've had to modify my form because I was hurting my back by leaning backwards on it a little too much. I'm now overheading with a very straight form and extremely tight core so as to not allow the spine to flex much if at all. That's good for 2 reasons. Firstly it is obviously not hurting my back and secondly it means that all of my lifting has to be done solely by the muscles in the shoulder and upper arm areas rather than the other muscles you can bring in to play by tilting even slightly backwards.

How's your stance on the squat? Do your feet face directly forward?

I used to buckle a bit, as does my mate who's started at the gym with me.

I found a wider stance and pointing your feet ouwards helped to stop the buckling, and also made it easier to get lower.

Plus it engages the glutes and hamstrings more, whereas your feet facing forward is a more quad dominated squat.

(You may well be doing all this already :) )

Â