Gym Routine

olboydave

Thought I'd throw some dumbbell bench presses in after my barbell bench press routine last night. Did 3 lots of 8 at 35kg. Haven't done them in aaaages and my last highest was 28kg I think, so to do 35kg AFTER my barbell workout has really shown me how far I've come along.

Unfortunately the dumbbells only go up to 37.5kg so I've nearly maxed those out.

Good work Dante!

I'm hoping for the same sort of progress now I've started a 5x5 routine

(I was up to 32.5kg Dumbells but only for reps of 4-6 on my previous split)

Joined my new gym at the weekend. Wayyyy better than Tudor Grange. Although I managed to make a tit of myself on the first day. The plates are smaller there so I didn't realise how much weight was on the barbell on the squat rack. So I unloaded one side first instead of doing it evenly and the whole thing toppled over, making a huge racket. Red face!

Incredible amounts of totty there as well :D

Incredible amounts of totty there as well

In the free weights area ? :D That's the one bad thing about my gym. Our section is up a stairs off on its own. The only totty we see is walking past the window from the swimming pool or an instructor checking everything's OK. Probably for the best. The last thing I need is a distraction like that or a Jehovah's Stiffness with 60-odd kg hanging over me.

Well the new shoes are a gift. I could properly plant on my hunkers and if anything the squat weight is easier now. The overhead press was tough though. Lost form on 5th set and that's dangerous on that exercise. You can do any amount of things to your back if that goes awry. The workout took a lot out of me. I was dead on my feet at the end. Went to bed at 10:30 (instead of 1am) and couldn't sleep. Gym was jammed too. All big ****. One bloke leg pressing 280kg and squatting a silly number too. Anyway, back to that 60kg bench press on Wednesday :)

The free wieghts section in Virgin is right next to the studio where they do all the classes, so it's perfect viewing.

In fact, a convenient leg press session gives a perfect view. So you can watch and do all the extensions you want. And you're even sitting down to hide the extensions that you don't want...

The free wieghts section in Virgin is right next to the studio where they do all the classes, so it's perfect viewing.

In fact, a convenient leg press session gives a perfect view. So you can watch and do all the extensions you want. And you're even sitting down to hide the extensions that you don't want...

:clap:

Woo! Shoulders are BURNING atm.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press:

30 kg x 10 reps

40 kg x 6 reps

50 kg x 8 reps

50 kg x 5 reps

50 kg x 5 reps

50 kg x 5 reps

40 kg x 8 reps

30 kg x 10 reps

30 kg x 10 reps

30 kg x 10 reps

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press:

20 kg x 8 reps

22 kg x 8 reps

24 kg x 6 reps

20 kg x 8 reps

20 kg x 8 reps

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press:

40 kg x 8 reps

50 kg x 6 reps

60 kg x 6 reps

40 kg x 8 reps

40 kg x 8 reps

Barbell Shrug:

80 kg x 8 reps

100 kg x 8 reps

120 kg x 8 reps

100 kg x 8 reps

100 kg x 8 reps

Woo! Shoulders are BURNING atm.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press:

30 kg x 10 reps

40 kg x 6 reps

50 kg x 8 reps

50 kg x 5 reps

50 kg x 5 reps

50 kg x 5 reps

40 kg x 8 reps

30 kg x 10 reps

30 kg x 10 reps

30 kg x 10 reps

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press:

20 kg x 8 reps

22 kg x 8 reps

24 kg x 6 reps

20 kg x 8 reps

20 kg x 8 reps

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press:

40 kg x 8 reps

50 kg x 6 reps

60 kg x 6 reps

40 kg x 8 reps

40 kg x 8 reps

Barbell Shrug:

80 kg x 8 reps

100 kg x 8 reps

120 kg x 8 reps

100 kg x 8 reps

100 kg x 8 reps

How many sessions is that?

This mornings session.

Nah BOF, my form stayed true on the lifts. Made sure I gave myself ample recovery time so majority was 90 seconds in between sets but on the heavier lifts I had 120-150 seconds.

How long does that take? Isn't that hammering out too much? Don't you hit a point where a work out stops being effective?

Probably not going to be a good workout today. Still tired from Saturday's drinking session. Succeeded on 60kg bench last time out though so it's 62.5kg today. We'll see... Up to 75kg squat now too.

Pendlay day :( I started too heavy @ 70kg and I'm stuck at it (well I can struggle at 72.5kg) - which defeats the purpose of the SL5x5 so I think I'll actually drop to 60kg and see if I can't move up that way.

Oh and I think I'm changing my gym. Visited a new gym in the area yesterday on advice from a guy in my gym and quite apart from the annual fee dropping from €350 to €225, the free weights area is easily 3 times the size (ours is small) and far better equipped. The only drawbacks are the 5 minute drive (as opposed to the 2 minute walk) and I'll actually miss the staff from the other place who are superb (and one is 'fit' ;)).

My gym's annual membership is £564, it's a 20 minute drive and I'll bet the free weights area is smalle rthan your new one.

You've hit the jackpot ;)

P.S. that's a decent row. My max for 5 reps is only 70kg (although i should be going beyond that next week and onwards)

Â