Gym Routine

olboydave

Finally succeeded at 45kg overhead - and sailed it tbh, which in itself was a bit annoying. Confident of 47.5kg now. Breased past 102.5kg deadlift too. Still resting the groin (squat) injury so all in all a very good workout today :D

Finally succeeded at 45kg overhead - and sailed it tbh, which in itself was a bit annoying. Confident of 47.5kg now. Breased past 102.5kg deadlift too. Still resting the groin (squat) injury so all in all a very good workout today :D

It won't let me "like" your posts. If it did, I would "like" this one.

• Like 1

I wonder how much it motivates you even subconsciously when there's a guy in the rack beside yours effortlessly warming up on 60kg overheads. I certainly didn't regard failure as an option, put it that way :)

The way I motivate myself is quite morbid.

I imagine someone will kill a family member unless I push out that last rep, like in some sort of weird film.

Starring Liam Neeson... probably.

• Like 1

My gym was about 30 seconds walk round the corner from my house untill three weeks ago, it's now a car journey away as it's moved to bigger (and to be fair much better) premises.

I think one of the main reasons I put the time in and went 2/3 times a week without fail for the last 18 months, is because it was so easy to get to, no need to drive, didn't need to pack any kit or shower stuff etc, I could just drop in whenever I had a bit of spare time.

I've never minded the hard work in the gym, I get a buzz out of it, but it's the getting up off my arse and getting there that I'm crap at, if that makes sense?

It's a bit of a mission to get there as it's on a busy main road with no carpark, so I have to park streets away sometimes, I have to go through the city centre to get there which is a pisser too, as the only time I can get there is during rush hour, the whole thing from start to finish can take two - two and a half hours, depending on traffic or how rammed the new gym is (loads more people have joined up since the move).

I've already started slacking off, I knew this would happen and need to kick myself up the arse and get back into it! :angry:

My gym was about 30 seconds walk round the corner from my house untill three weeks ago, it's now a car journey away as it's moved to bigger (and to be fair much better) premises.

I think one of the main reasons I put the time in and went 2/3 times a week without fail for the last 18 months, is because it was so easy to get to, no need to drive, didn't need to pack any kit or shower stuff etc, I could just drop in whenever I had a bit of spare time.

I've never minded the hard work in the gym, I get a buzz out of it, but it's the getting up off my arse and getting there that I'm crap at, if that makes sense?

It's a bit of a mission to get there as it's on a busy main road with no carpark, so I have to park streets away sometimes, I have to go through the city centre to get there which is a pisser too, as the only time I can get there is during rush hour, the whole thing from start to finish can take two - two and a half hours, depending on traffic or how rammed the new gym is (loads more people have joined up since the move).

I've already started slacking off, I knew this would happen and need to kick myself up the arse and get back into it!

Ooh, through a city centre to a place with no car park? That's proper shitty. My new gym is a drive rather than a walk, but it's not a particularly arduous drive. I did find that being in a gym gave me the commitment to stay there. I mightn't have joined my 'new' gym initially, because it was too far away, but having been in the close-by gym, I now know I would keep going to the other one. TBH in your scenario, unless the gym is truly fantastic, I know I'd probably start looking for a new gym closer and more convenient to home. They might even give you the year's membership + whatever was left of your old gym membership, just so that you join them.

Can you move gyms?

If you're tied into a contract, then I'd say a change of premises is a significant change to the terms of the contract so you should be able to get out of it.

But I feel your pain. Until a couple of months ago my gym was too busy to go after work, so i used to have to come home, have my dinner and everything, and then head out to the gym at like 9 oclock at night when it was quiet enough to use.

Looking back on it it was horrible. I couldn't really do anything between getting home and going to the gym because there wasn't enough time to relax before I had to get off my arse again and go. And I wouldn't get back until like half 10, and I can never go straight to bed having just exercised, so I'd end up being up until midnight, then getting up at 6 for work.

Not sure how I managed

Anyway, I digress, point is yeah, getting off your arse is the hardest part. The gym I go to now is on the way home from work so I can call in straight from work, be there by 5:30, out and home by 7 ish. Then I have the whole night to myself.

Definitely easier that way, and requires much less motivation.

I'm not tied into the gym contract wise, which was a major factor for joining in the first place I think, well that and the fact it was cheap and I could pay cash over the counter monthly or however I wanted.

I'd rather stay in my gym as it's owned by a good mate, and loads of my mates go there too, besides it's still the closest gym to where I live at the moment anyway.

We're moving out of our house and will be staying at my parents house in a couple of months time (We're emigrating in six months and need to get our house decoraed and ready for renting out) which is going to be even worse, it's even further away from the gym and there's nowt else around by them either.. :(

Oh, sounds like you've no option but to go or slack then. Good luck. It's all about the routine for me. I don't even think about it. It's quite simply what I do Mon/Wed/Fri.

Oh, sounds like you've no option but to go or slack then. Good luck. It's all about the routine for me. I don't even think about it. It's quite simply what I do Mon/Wed/Fri.

Yep, this definitely helps too.

I'm not too strict with what days I do it, but I know I have to go 3 times a week. So once that's in your routine, you just do it.

It was much harder years ago when I'd just "wing it" at the gym

Well yeah, if my day to day stuff throws me something on a Wed or Fri evening I'll just switch to Thu/Sat. But always 3 times. As Mehdi says, even a bad workout is better than no workout.

I workout 6 days a week. Sometimes 2 a days. I have been switching up my workouts and diet for over a year to have almost 0 result. I am freakishly strong which no one seems to expect but my body hasn't changed at all. Turns out I am slightly allergic to many of the healthier foods *and crap foods* I enjoy eating so my body doesn't digest them properly, and bc I am fairly hyper it takes my body a lot more effort to get my metabolism going. Who knew?!?! That being said none of this swayed me from my workouts. I run 6 days a week. Anywhere from 1.5-4 miles. Changing it up, some days are sprints. Some days a straight run. Some days run walk. Then Tuesday mornings I have a boxing class. Thursday nights I have an insane personal trainer that thinks I'm bionic or something. I also *laughter about to be sent my way* Do Tae bo workouts all thanks to Billy Blanks. And if I get time at night the mini gym in my apartment complex helps me with weights.

It should be said that IF I had to drive 2 hours to workout....I wouldn't. My main gym is attached to my job and I train for free. Because of this it seemed wrong and incredibly lazy to avoid working out

ME, if you're working out that much, and seeing no change in your body, it's almost certainly down to diet.

The fact that you're getting stronger supports that because the excess calories have probably gone into making muscle.

I would guess that if you cut out 300-500 calories per day from your diet you'd shrink

(not that you need to by the way, I've seen your Facebook pics ;) )

Also, don't discount the possibility of overtraining, especially as I know you have a pretty hectic work schedule.

ME, if you're working out that much, and seeing no change in your body, it's almost certainly down to diet.

The fact that you're getting stronger supports that because the excess calories have probably gone into making muscle.

I would guess that if you cut out 300-500 calories per day from your diet you'd shrink

(not that you need to by the way, I've seen your Facebook pics ;) )

Also, don't discount the possibility of overtraining, especially as I know you have a pretty hectic work schedule.

It's definitely down to diet. Bc of my crazy work schedule the herbalist said I'm not eating enough so she's mad at the idea of me cutting calories, it's just what source the calories are from. And the healthy stuff I was eating (mixed nuts, edamame....) My body can't digest it properly bc I'm slightly allergic. So I can't have anything with soy. I can't have cheese. I can still have some sweets and a little bit of bread but only at lunch. For the most part what I can have has been fine. I just really REALLY miss pizza. And with a trip to Brum fast approaching the Mermaid pizza is gonna get it. But just one day or so while I'm there. And FYI to the VTers, Brumerican, Rob and his lovely other half, and myself will be at the Norwich game.

PS. Thank you for the compliment.

Back to failing at the overhead :angry: Managed 9 @ 47.5kg and finished the rest @ 45. Succeeded at 107.5kg deadlift though. Must say that's the first time the deadlift has taken anything out of me. It was quite heavy. I don't think it helped that I was back doing squats for the first time in 2 weeks after the tweak (started back @ 90kg which was easy). I did the deadlift last. I think I'll do squats last from now on. So a partially successful workout.

Anyone know a good site for gym clothing? I'm currently wearing football jerseys which is fine. But I don't want to risk looking like a full-kit rocket polisher even if they are a generic pair of shorts :lol:

I wonder how much it motivates you even subconsciously when there's a guy in the rack beside yours effortlessly warming up on 60kg overheads. I certainly didn't regard failure as an option, put it that way :)

Works the opposite for me.

When I'm doing dumbbell bench presses, I will sometimes fail to get them up at all, maybe 1 in 10 times. I find the added pressure of having a large number of people around increases the likelyhood of that happening.

I'm much happier in a quiet gym where I can just do my thing without worrying about others.

Â