Gym Routine

olboydave

More success yesterday :hooray: Finally I've reached 50kg on the overhead. That's turned into a bastard exercise. Deadlift was easy. Up to 115kg next. And the squat was tough but I managed it. Up to 107.5kg next.

So I've canned the protein shakes off lately, pre/post workout supplements (Creatine, Tourine) aswell, and have noticed absolutely no difference in my ability to lift weights or my physical appearance.

Have been eating more beans, taking cod liver oil and trying to get protein in more natural forms and it seems to be doing the trick.

Seems like a bit of a waste of money now. :mellow:

So I've canned the protein shakes off lately, pre/post workout supplements (Creatine, Tourine) aswell, and have noticed absolutely no difference in my ability to lift weights or my physical appearance.

Have been eating more beans, taking cod liver oil and trying to get protein in more natural forms and it seems to be doing the trick.

Seems like a bit of a waste of money now. :mellow:

You say that, but protein shakes shoul donly be taken to hit your daily protein goals.

So if you're aiming for 200g of protein a day, then you should only be taking shakes if you're only getting, say, 150g from your food.

The mistake that people make is they take shakes just for the hell of it because it's the done thing, when actually that could be detrimental because it might, for example, push you over your calorie intake if you're trying to lose fat.

If you replace the protein you get from shakes with protein from whole food, like chicken, then shakes are certainly not a waste of money.

In a 908g tub of whey protein that I buy, there is 700g of pure protein. Costs about £30

If you bought enough chicken breast, for example, to get 900g of protein you'd have to buy (based on Tesco Chicken Breasts) about £45 worth of chicken breasts (done on quick calculations)

it's not a vas difference, but powdered protein is cheaper than whole foods. Getting it from whole foods is probably better for you, but not better for your wallet

You say that, but protein shakes shoul donly be taken to hit your daily protein goals.

So if you're aiming for 200g of protein a day, then you should only be taking shakes if you're only getting, say, 150g from your food.

The mistake that people make is they take shakes just for the hell of it because it's the done thing, when actually that could be detrimental because it might, for example, push you over your calorie intake if you're trying to lose fat.

If you replace the protein you get from shakes with protein from whole food, like chicken, then shakes are certainly not a waste of money.

In a 908g tub of whey protein that I buy, there is 700g of pure protein. Costs about £30

If you bought enough chicken breast, for example, to get 900g of protein you'd have to buy (based on Tesco Chicken Breasts) about £45 worth of chicken breasts (done on quick calculations)

it's not a vas difference, but powdered protein is cheaper than whole foods. Getting it from whole foods is probably better for you, but not better for your wallet

As ever, you're knowledge on this matter is pretty impressive.

That said, I'd argue a little about your comparison in terms of costs. Paying money for protein shakes is an additional cost above what you'd normally spend. You still have to eat, regardless of what supplements you take. It may be cheaper to tweek your diet in order to fulfill your protein needs, by swapping what you buy, rather than necessarily buying extra.

That said, I have no real idea what my protein intake should be, when I buy the stuff, I tend to take 2 a day regardlesss of whatever else I may be eating.

That's my point. Protein shakes shouldn't be additional to what you eat. They should be to hit protein goals. As in if you didn't drink a protein shake you'd have to eat some food to make up for it.

Your last sentence is how a lot of people approach it, but it shouldn't be

For my most recent workouts I've re-visited my technique so as to eliminate any possible shortcuts that were creeping in as the weights went up. Nothing serious; because I don't want to injure myself or knowingly reduce the effectiveness of what I'm doing.

On the bench press for example, I found I was beginning to let the bar bounce off my chest. So yesterday instead of benching 70kg I went back to 62.5kg just to see how difficult it would be to do it without any bounce at all. It was fine, but I still think it was worth doing because it was definitely more difficult.

I also went back to 60kg on the pendlay to make sure I could hit the bar off my chest at the top of the rep so as to have an objective gauge of a successful lift. Again, worth doing because short of videoing yourself you don't know whether your lift is getting worse as your pendlay weight goes up. So by tipping the chest you not only guarantee the lift, but you remove the advantage (shortcut) of straightening your back because by doing that you move the 'finish line' out of the way.

Squat was fine. I just wanted to make absolutely sure that the lift was coming from the thighs & backside rather than the knees i.e. that I wasn't in any way leaning forward on the lift. Which I wasn't. The other thing a re-visit of Rippetoe's squat technique reminded me that I'd forgotten was an easier way to hold the bar on your shoulders i.e. forcing your elbows backwards collapses the shoulder blades creating a shelf. Not a biggie and doesn't affect effectiveness but certainly makes it more comfortable.

Deadlift & overhead were fine. So from here we plough on :thumb:

Had a really odd session yesterday, just completely lost a whole lot of strength from absolutely nowhere.

I don't normally have too much trouble benching 26kg dumbbells, but yesterday I couldn't even get them up. I really struggled to get the 24s up, but forced them up out of sheer doggidness.

Was quite odd, and a little disoncerting.

I've had that happen once or twice. At the time it's annoying and worrying but then I just put it down to it being 'one of those days' where my body was just in a lower gear. One of the times it happened was a Saturday morning workout as opposed to my normal weekday evening workout.

The time of day makes a massive difference to me aswell. If I go in the morning then I know i'll have to push extra hard just to stand still. But this was a prime time evening work out, half an hour after eating a decent meal and raring to go. I actually managed to do better last week when i limped my way to the gym in quite poor health.

As you say, one of those days.

Though I looked like a bit of a cheese in not being able to push the weights up.

Yeah, circumstances have dictated that I will be doing another Saturday morning session this weekend :( I'm going to force myself to get up extra early so that I'm more awake and up to speed by the time I get to the gym (at about 11am).

For me, Saturday morning sessions always dictate that I consume some instant oats prior to workout and then purchase a Lucozade at the gym. Just for the psychological boost as much as anything. Will be doing the same tomorrow.

For me it's scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast with maybe a few slices of cold-cooked ham or chicken. The lucozade isn't a bad idea. Might try that :) I highly recommend the eggs though. Nothing touches them for instant energy.

Out of interest what is this Whey Protein you are buying for £30 for just 908g/700g of protein? I buy 5kg of Whey Protein for £43.00 which is 82% protein so 4000 grams of protein.

It seems really excessive what you are paying.

Holland and Barrett.

I've been meaning to buy it online to get it cheaper but I always forget and by the time I realise I need more it's too late

Edit: although I'd be interested to know where you get yours. That's very cheap.

Yeah, circumstances have dictated that I will be doing another Saturday morning session this weekend :( I'm going to force myself to get up extra early so that I'm more awake and up to speed by the time I get to the gym (at about 11am).

I've got a gym session tomorrow about midday after a big night out tonight.

Supposed to be going for a PB Squat (115kg) but I'm genuinely afraid I might shit myself :D

Holland and Barrett.

I've been meaning to buy it online to get it cheaper but I always forget and by the time I realise I need more it's too late

Stevo you are being ripped off big time.

Go onto MYPROTEIN website. Whey protein unflavoured £43.00 for 5kg if you buy 3 or more or £45.00 for one. Free dleivery. You will have it with in 2 days. You will pay more for flavoured but again it is a waste of money. I just put a dash of blackcurrent cordial in with mine whisk it up and it is fine.

I've got a gym session tomorrow about midday after a big night out tonight.

Supposed to be going for a PB Squat (115kg) but I'm genuinely afraid I might shit myself :D

:crylaugh: That would be a genuine concern at that weight alright. I did lol in the office reading that.

Â