Gym Routine

olboydave

Yeah, there is that. I want to get to sub 3 hour marathon, 1.20 half marathon, and 17 minute 5k.

So quite a spread there!

I know you need to be closer to the sprinter than the marathoner to be quick in all of them:

marathoner-vs-sprinter-men.jpg

But it's highly unlikely you'll achieve a sprinter-type physique by training for long distance runs.

Quite coincidentally, I've just started reading (but haven't finished) the chapter on cardiovascular training in Mike Boyle's book. He talks a lot about the different energy systems and their recruitment in different types of sports/exercise. Bearing in mind what you mentioned about wanting to increase fast-twitch muscle fibres, this is a particularly good quote regarding the three basic types (fast-twitch anaerobic, slow-twitch aerobic and intermediate):

"... a programme emphasising long aerobic workouts will cause intermediate fibres to adapt to the characteristics of slow-twitch. Only emphasising interval sprints from five to sixty seconds with longer recovery will promote the movement of intermediate fibres towards the anaerobic, fast-twitch fibre."

So essentially, it looks like you might have to choose between the awesome marathon times and looking like a beast :).

Edited by JB

But it's highly unlikely you'll achieve a sprinter-type physique by training for long distance runs.

Quite coincidentally, I've just started reading (but haven't finished) the chapter on cardiovascular training in Mike Boyle's book. He talks a lot about the different energy systems and their recruitment in different types of sports/exercise. Bearing in mind what you mentioned about wanting to increase fast-twitch muscle fibres, this is a particularly good quote regarding the three basic types (fast-twitch anaerobic, slow-twitch aerobic and intermediate):

"... a programme emphasising long aerobic workouts will cause intermediate fibres to adapt to the characteristics of slow-twitch. Only emphasising interval sprints from five to sixty seconds with longer recovery will promote the movement of intermediate fibres towards the anaerobic, fast-twitch fibre."

So essentially, it looks like you might have to choose between the awesome marathon times and looking like a beast :).

Good points

I'll settle for slower marathon times, fast 5ks and 10ks, pretty good HMs and looking well toned :-)

I don't want to look or be huge. It's not for me. Winning races but not looking like a haggard old man is my ultimate goal.

Anyone but dom   using protein shakes or supplements ?

*keep it legal 

Yes.

Anyone wanting to build muscle should be eating a high protein diet. We'd all love to do it by eating it all in whole food, but that's expensive, and tiring having to cook so much meat. So protein shakes are a must imo.

But they should be used for what they are. A supplement to help you reach your protein goal for the day.

The people who say protein shakes don't work are the people who don't do that and just sip on them willy nilly. If you'r eonly eating 50g of protein a day, then a protein shake isn't going to be enough to hit what you should be having.

I also use a pre supp (basically just a mixture of caffeine and creatine) and BCAAs.

Never used to, but when I was cutting last year I lost loads of strength. So researched it and it was suggested that a pre supp will help keep your energy up for your workouts to balance out your lack of energy due to a calorie defecit.

The BCAAs, in short, help to stop your muscles breaking down (I could link a much more in depth article about BCAAs if anyone's interested)

So yeah, that's what I take. For a casual lifter or beginner, I'd say supplements aren't really necessary, apart from protein if you're not getting enough from food.

A pre workout supp will always help but it's not a massive deal, especially if you're bulking (imo)

The BCAAs, in short, help to stop your muscles breaking down (I could link a much more in depth article about BCAAs if anyone's interested)

So yeah, that's what I take. For a casual lifter or beginner, I'd say supplements aren't really necessary, apart from protein if you're not getting enough from food.

A pre workout supp will always help but it's not a massive deal, especially if you're bulking (imo)

Given that i've got 12 weeks off training coming up, do you think BCAAs would help keep my muscle mass up?

Given that i've got 12 weeks off training coming up, do you think BCAAs would help keep my muscle mass up?

In short, yes

Read this

Another great reason to take BCAA is if you take time off due to a injury or other reason, this supplement will limit the amount of muscle loss and fat gain. A study done by the European Journal of Applied Physiology found that giving BCAAs to rats with their hind limbs immobilized helped preserve protein synthesis that regulates muscle growth. The bottom line is that BCAAs sacrifice themselves as fuel in order to preserve muscle in the body, whether you are training or not, a high level of BCAAs in your system can do nothing but help your overall body composition.

Just the basic ones on MyProtein

BCAAs

and

Pulse V4 Pre Workout

I don't have any experience with other brands so can't really say how they compare.

But they've definitely worked for me.

Last year my maxes were falling alarmingly. This year I'm 6 weeks into a cut and I've noticed almost no strength loss. Squats and deads are still rising in fact.

Some of it might be a placebo effect, but **** it. That'll do me.

There was a recent "talk" in the gym to all the lads in the gym about supplements by the local shop I found it interesting and the answers were all varied on different types of shakes etc...he recommended isatc Isolate for me if I were to go with a protein shake & branched chain amino acids (bacaa)

Â