Gym Routine

olboydave

Yeah that gym looks awesome. Not too dissimilar to mine though if I'm honest. I'm lucky to train at a gym with an awesome owner who really knows his shit, so we've got loads of squat racks, bumper plates, benches and DBs up to 70kg, as well as two floors of AstroTurf for resisted sprints, tyres, prowlers, battle ropes etc. Best gym I've ever been to by about a million miles and it's only £30 per month! Really raises your game training in such a facility, too.

Don't suppose anyone knows of anywhere similar in Birmingham as there's a chances I might be moving back closer to home in the next few months and would be gutted to leave all these toys behind!

Yeah that gym looks awesome. Not too dissimilar to mine though if I'm honest. I'm lucky to train at a gym with an awesome owner who really knows his shit, so we've got loads of squat racks, bumper plates, benches and DBs up to 70kg, as well as two floors of AstroTurf for resisted sprints, tyres, prowlers, battle ropes etc. Best gym I've ever been to by about a million miles and it's only £30 per month! Really raises your game training in such a facility, too.

Don't suppose anyone knows of anywhere similar in Birmingham as there's a chances I might be moving back closer to home in the next few months and would be gutted to leave all these toys behind!

It's probably not quite on that level but the Ironworks in Kings Norton is an awesome gym and is very well equipped.

I used to use Iron Works back in the day and visited it recently, it's not bad.

What I dont like is that it lacks any good power racks, they have like one, it's the rickety old one they've have for years.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Cheers fellas, much appreciated. Had a quick look online and that place does look pretty impressive. They've got a strongman room with lots of cool equipment by the looks of it. Found another one in Moseley called Rigs which looks pretty good as well. It's got sprint lanes with prowlers etc. but the free weights area maybe looks a bit small. Will check it out in more detail if the move materialises.

There's a place in Solihull (right near the Sheldon end) called Dino's Gym.

I've been thinking of joining myself. I haven't visited it yet but it's a bodybuilding gym, so might be worth checking out if it's close.

So 3 weeks is apparently all it takes to ruin 11months of training . I started back on Monday. I actually did a lot better than I thought I would. Yesterday was also not as bad as I was prepared for. Today was brutal ! And I felt like my body didn't move correctly . EVERYTHING hurts. I'll get back to it quickly. I know I will. I just hate this part. Makes me feel like a puss.

As you say.  You'll be back up to speed in no time.  You're just shaking off the cobwebs.  Well earned cobwebs if this thread is anything to go by :-)  I certainly went wild over Christmas.  But as my programme wasn't as cardio-centric as yours is, my January has been pretty kind to me.

If anything, the Christmas break gave me the rest I needed to 'go again'. My bench reps dropped by 1, which is insignificant enough to explain away with mood / nutrition. I've since gone on to improve on virtually everything in the past couple of weeks. That said, I did only have about a week off.

Going to start DDP Yoga today. Somewhat influenced by Jake the Snake Roberts miraculous improvement (and numerous other impressive testimonials). I have terrible, terrible posture and my back aches from years of sitting on a computer. I'm hoping this will go someways to alleviating that. 

Quick question, because I know you all love a deadlift.

If you're not accustomed to doing them, could a deadlift rip the muscles than run across the top of your back? 

I don't normally do them with a particularly heavy weight, if at all, but I decided to give it ago with about 90kg last night (which is well beyond my norm). Today my back is aching quite considerably, particularly in my lower back (expected) and across my shoulders/top of my back (unexpected). Is this normal?

Yep, the upper back does a lot of work.

Although I very much doubt you've ripped the muscle. You'd bloody know about it if you had!

More than likely just DOMs (especially as you said yourself you haven't done it in a while) or a pull

Going to start DDP Yoga today. Somewhat influenced by Jake the Snake Roberts miraculous improvement (and numerous other impressive testimonials). I have terrible, terrible posture and my back aches from years of sitting on a computer. I'm hoping this will go someways to alleviating that. 

I've had issues in various places in my back for years and managed to live with/manage them by various methods.

Over the years I've done specific exercise routines, , yoga, physio, chiro, deep tissue massage, daily stretching, pilates . All of it helped in short term but none of it fixed the problem which was that I spent too much time sat in my chair in the office.

So I started standing at my desk 3hrs a day in the morning (bought a stand to put monitor on for about £30 from Ikea, essentially a coffee table with bit for keyboard which I put on and off desk once a day). Within a week my back was feeling better and in two weeks completely fixed.

Seems incredibly obvious now but I'm just wondering why I didn't do it years ago.

Yeah sure, that's just my lingo for DOMS or the satisfactory ache that lets you know you've had a good session.

Think i'll have to do them more often, 'ripping' my back (i.e. giving myself DOMS) has proven elusive for a long time up until now.

Fair enough :thumb:

(PS everyone who goes to the gym should have Deadlifts in their routine, imo)

Which reminds me, it's deadlift day today for me!

165kg will be attempted...

Edited by Stevo985

Â