What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

25th anniversary edition, listening to the live disc from Greensboro (North Carolina) 89. Was at the show, opening act was Pylon. Much of the video Tourfilm came from the same show. Great tour

IMG_9766.jpeg.711f440159452d39eb54a457f07f4b05.jpeg

• Like 4

The Chills - Kaleidoscope World. Expanded version of the New Zealand band’s early singles compilation

Bit of a punt based on the song Pink Frost which I’ve wanted for a fair while and there was nothing much new I wanted. Enjoying it so far.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

spacer.png

I’m struggling with it a little if I’m honest @theboyangel it’s a little too ‘rock guitar’ for me.

Real hints of what I hoped it might be, but they refuse to be more than hints. I think I was hoping for more King Sunny Ade / Tinarewen and less stadium rock guitar. although the B side is a lot better than A, it might end up being one of those one sided albums whilst you pick something. 

• Like 1

Just bought this for a fiver in a local record fair. File under music the missus will listen to

Unfashionable as hell these days but a classic of his time. I have friends who swear this is one of the best albums ever. They are clearly wrong but it is a pleasant folky Sunday record. Very much of its time and definitely sits alongside their Kitchenware Records contemporaries Prefab Sprout and the Kane Gang

image.jpeg

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just bought this for a fiver in a local record fair. File under music the missus will listen to

Unfashionable as hell these days but a classic of his time. I have friends who swear this is one of the best albums ever. They are clearly wrong but it is a pleasant folky Sunday record. Very much of its time and definitely sits alongside their Kitchenware Records contemporaries Prefab Sprout and the Kane Gang

image.jpeg

I loved this at the time and the 2 albums that came after it. 

• Like 1

One for the sample fans. A Stereo sampler from Decca. They used to sell these to convince people to upgrade to stereo, there’s absolutely loads of them out there. This one from 1958, so a fairly early example of the genre.

But this one does have a very famous sample already lifted from it

”This is a journey into sound, stereophonic sound” used by Coldcut on their remix of Eric B and Rakim's Paid In Full (by far the best and most well known version of the song - now there’s a discussion on its own, remixes that are better than the original)

I should also point out that the missus bought this not me because her Dad used to have it

image.jpeg

Who says K-Tel only put out rubbish, well they mainly did but here’s an exception

Another of the missus purchases… Not much missing from this best of double album released in 1985 on the back of a sort of mini revival of interest in Marc Bolan because I guess a few bands like Bauhaus and Department S were covering his songs. The missus bought this for a tenner, it’s in great condition. If they brought this out now they'd be charging £35 minimum. It really does have everything that someone who has a passing interest would want.

image.jpeg

One of mine from today.

Early Simple Minds the mini-LP Sister Feelings Call

I think the early Simple Minds material is genuinely groundbreaking, this comes a bit later than that stuff but is still before their breakout album Glittering Prize and you can get a sense of where they were heading from this

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, bickster said:

this one does have a very famous sample already lifted from it

”This is a journey into sound, stereophonic sound” used by Coldcut

My mate Adrian (you’ve met him) gave me a cd yonks ago of Bill Nelson songs. One of them uses that sample too. Do you know if that precedes the coldcut use?

1 hour ago, blandy said:

My mate Adrian (you’ve met him) gave me a cd yonks ago of Bill Nelson songs. One of them uses that sample too. Do you know if that precedes the coldcut use?

Don’t know the song, I think I 've only listened to one Bill Nelson album and that’s Quit Dreaming and Get on the Beam (?) and it doesn’t ring any bells from that. have you tried Shazamming it?

Edit: That sample was also in MARRS Pump Up the Volume which also sampled Eric B and Rakim (different song) in the same year

Â