What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

I was given some records a few years ago by a mate who was emigrating. This is one of them

Yachts were another of those bands from the Eric's Scene in Liverpool. This, is their eponymously titled debute from 1979. It's power pop really but also very much has a similar flavour of some of the other bands around at or just after that time. I can hear bits of early Wah and early Icicle Works (who followed not preceeded them)

They are only really notable for being Henry Priestman's first band. Henry was in The Christians and wrote most of the first two albums (the best ones) and also featured Martin Dempsey who was later in a band called The Mellotones, who were essentailly the band of the lads that worked behind the counter in Probe Records and who Kurt Cobain oftern referenced as an influence

It's OK but that's all it is, nothing more nothing less. I keep it as an artifact of the time more than anything

Ny01MjE5LmpwZWc.jpeg

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I was given some records a few years ago by a mate who was emigrating. This is one of them

Yachts were another of those bands from the Eric's Scene in Liverpool. This, is their eponymously titled debute from 1979. It's power pop really but also very much has a similar flavour of some of the other bands around at or just after that time. I can hear bits of early Wah and early Icicle Works (who followed not preceeded them)

They are only really notable for being Henry Priestman's first band. Henry was in The Christians and wrote most of the first two albums (the best ones) and also featured Martin Dempsey who was later in a band called The Mellotones, who were essentailly the band of the lads that worked behind the counter in Probe Records and who Kurt Cobain oftern referenced as an influence

It's OK but that's all it is, nothing more nothing less. I keep it as an artifact of the time more than anything

Ny01MjE5LmpwZWc.jpeg

"Suffice to Say" is one of my all-time favourite songs. 

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Dangerously close to post-punk and 80s :D

I know. We had a similar conversation about my love of 'Too Late to Fly the Flag' by Hambi and the Dance. 

Thing is, late 70s, early 80s, I was mourning the death of 60s styles in mainstream popular music - blues, folk, country, psychedelia and progressive rock were all resolutely out of fashion. But what remained - at least in small pockets - was what was being labelled 'power pop' - short, punchy, jangly, melodic guitar bands. The Motors, The Records, Kursaal Flyers, The Teardrop Explodes, Nick Lowe, Graham Parker, The Distractions (and from the US) The Knack, The dBs, Cheap Trick, The Smithereens, early REM - all that stuff. It wasn't Jethro Tull or The Eagles, but it wasn't Joy Division or Gary Numan either. What I liked about 'Suffice to Say' was the witty lyric - a pop song about how to write a pop song: "I never wrote a middle eight/So we'll just have to do without/But there's an instrumental break/Just after this..." 

EDIT: I expect someone will query my examples as being from different genres, but it doesn't matter - they are grouped together in my memory as 'stuff that I was finding to enjoy in grim musical times'. I was probably clutching at straws, because I hardly ever play those songs nowadays. 

My playlist

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Reissue I take it, original UK would be on tan colour Reprise. 

Yes, a cheapo reissue so it was ‘new’ out of the cellophane on the weekend. I think it was just under £18 so not that bad these days when every reissue has to have an embossed cover or new sleeve notes or something to try and justify a 50 year old record costing £35.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, a cheapo reissue so it was ‘new’ out of the cellophane on the weekend. I think it was just under £18 so not that bad these days when every reissue has to have an embossed cover or new sleeve notes or something to try and justify a 50 year old record costing £35.

Worth it, one of his best. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Will your filing system have a scar?

Have you shelves been told to expect a non-Beach birth?

spacer.png

• Haha 2

spacer.png

Triple album of sort of funk soul jazz stuff.

Every last track is the tune you were looking for to kick start that blaxploitation movie you always promised you’d make.

Baby Huey / Funkadelic / The Pharaohs / Gil Scott-Heron / James Mason / The Oneness Of JuJu. 

Yeah, suck it up, losers.

• Like 1

One of those albums you wish you'd bought when it came out and you actually had it in your hands and put it back. If I had bought it, it would be in the £75-£100 bracket now.

Originally released on the very collectable Ghost Box label but now rereleased on the bands own label with brand new artwork

The Soundcarriers - Entropicalia

Experimental psyche-folk I guess is what you'd call it. The final track is a 12 minute opus narrated by Elijah Wood

NDYtNjE0My5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

One of those albums you wish you'd bought when it came out and you actually had it in your hands and put it back. If I had bought it, it would be in the £75-£100 bracket now.

Originally released on the very collectable Ghost Box label but now rereleased on the bands own label with brand new artwork

The Soundcarriers - Entropicalia

Experimental psyche-folk I guess is what you'd call it. The final track is a 12 minute opus narrated by Elijah Wood

NDYtNjE0My5qcGVn.jpeg

will check this out as don’t have it. 

Their latest Wilds is also very good (just as Celeste was too) 

Great band 

• Like 1

Another one added to the On-U collection

Prince Far I (AKA The Voice of Thunder) - Cry Tuff Dub Encounter III

Strictly speaking not On-U but originally released on Daddy Kool in 1980, then re-released by Pressure Sounds when it was a subsiduary of On-U (it no longer is, they split)

Adrian Sherwood doesn't get a production credit PFI and Dub Syndicate do but it's widely acknowledged that he was involved and I suppose technically he was also a member of Dub Syndicate so sort of does. Listening to it, it's pretty bloody obvious

Recorded in Jamaica but mixed & dubbed in London. As well as the usual suspects it features Vivian Goldman, Ari-Up and a few non-Cunningham Flying Lizards

LTk0MTAuanBlZw.jpeg

• Like 1

Â