• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

The only way Randy can save himself is to come out and say that the McLeish deal is off due to fan unrest.

If he dosnt, the relationship with the board will never be the same again.

That would be worse.

It would mean he is not strong willed to follow through on his convictions. What manager would join us knowing that the Chairman was the fans' puppet? They would never be secure in their job. We would also be a joke IN the game.

As he has now approached McLeish he HAS to see it through.

Why does he have to see it through???

If you're an employer do you papersift potential employees CV's but only interview one??? that would be daft!!!

To get out of this, Randy can interview 1 or 2 more candidates and simply say AM wasn't the best equipped but thanks for trying!

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like this is it then.

I suppose I have little choice now other than to give McLeish my backing. But the board have truly spat in the face of every Villa fan with this ridiculous saga. Looking at the 3 main candidates we know of, Eck, Martinez and McLaren, its pretty obvious Randy set out to find a "yes" man. All 3 of them would be punching well above their weight at Villa and happy to receive whatever meagre funds are to be dished out by the owner to rebuild our ever depleting squad. Houllier was a "yes" man too. Randy was obviously so outraged by O'Neill having the balls to stand up for himself that he decided that all future managers need to tow the line.

I can't ever remember being this disillusioned with Villa. Was so looking forward to putting last season behind us and genuinely believed that Randy would learn from the Houllier mistake and get in a top class manager and send us forward. The goalposts have obviously changed. The 5 year plan failed and its back to settling for mid-table mediocrity. Happy days.

THIS

I really don't see AM fitting the bill as a yes man. He seems to be rather thick skinned and similar to MON in many respects, only less eloquent perhaps.

Your sarcastic tone doesn't make you look clever or validate your point any further.

On McLeish we shall see. His CV is not appalling. His relegations have been balenced by his success also. He is not my top choice or even in my top 5 but to say his CV is "appalling" is just incorrect.

I agree his CV is not appalling, however his premier league record is....

Yes, he did well with Rangers (bit like taking over ManUre or Chelsea but in Scotland) and cut his teeth well with Hibs (after their initial relegation)

But going on the Board's criteria of 'Premier League' experience then he should fail dismally.... Awful brand of football (admittedly with a poor squad) and a gift of a cup victory!

I think we're all clinging onto the hope that with our players, he'll set them out to play a more expansive game (than his usual 8-1-1 formation) but I don't think he knows any other way!

The truth is most managers that succeed are a good fit for the club at that period in time.

NO-ONE (including me) will know if he is a good fit until he has a few months in the job.

The only way Randy can save himself is to come out and say that the McLeish deal is off due to fan unrest.

That would be worse.

It would mean he is not strong willed to follow through on his convictions. What manager would join us knowing that the Chairman was the fans' puppet? They would never be secure in their job. We would also be a joke IN the game.

If you're an employer do you papersift potential employees CV's but only interview one??? that would be daft!!!

To get out of this, Randy can interview 1 or 2 more candidates and simply say AM wasn't the best equipped but thanks for trying!

True but at this period of time he HAS offered him the job. So if he then withdraws the offer because the other staff don't like the look of him, then you would seem weak. And I am an employer.

I am away now for a few days in Newcastle I can't beleive I'm going to miss all the action! No internet neither hardly!

This is gonna turn out to be the most incompetent way of handling matters of dealing with a managerial appointment in the history of handling managerial appointments and we'll be a laughing stock forever!

or if me and Diehardvillain & a few others are onto something........ then in one foul swoop Randy Lerner is gonna make SHA as well as

the press look like absolute baffoons

UTV!!

Your sarcastic tone doesn't make you look clever or validate your point any further.

On McLeish we shall see. His CV is not appalling. His relegations have been balenced by his success also. He is not my top choice or even in my top 5 but to say his CV is "appalling" is just incorrect.

Yes, he did well with Rangers (bit like taking over ManUre or Chelsea but in Scotland) and cut his teeth well with Hibs (after their initial relegation)

But going on the Board's criteria of 'Premier League' experience then he should fail dismally.... Awful brand of football (admittedly with a poor squad) and a gift of a cup victory!

I think we're all clinging onto the hope that with our players, he'll set them out to play a more expansive game (than his usual 8-1-1 formation) but I don't think he knows any other way!

The truth is most managers that succeed are a good fit for the club at that period in time.

NO-ONE (including me) will know if he is a good fit until he has a few months in the job.

But with his record in the league, why take the risk that he may be a good fit???

Doesn't make sense?!?!

But with his record in the league, why take the risk that he may be a good fit???

Doesn't make sense?!?!

I think he has mitigating circumstances. I am sure a lot will not agree. I think he deserves his chance, I am sure alot won't agree.

But he may be a good fit in the similar mould to how Gregory was.

That would be worse.

If they see it through, they sh_t on the fans of Aston Villa Football club.

Its nothing to do with fans puppet.. The club have always said they like to be close to the fans..They have Krulak on here to give feedback to the board etc.. We are all in this together arnt we? As a family, as a club.. This search for a manger is for our family..

We all know they cant please everyone...Yet they are creating a huge division with this appoinment..

That would be worse.

True but at this period of time he HAS offered him the job. So if he then withdraws the offer because the other staff don't like the look of him, then you would seem weak. And I am an employer.

When did this happen?

That would be worse.

Completely different in this situation. We as the supporters should be seen as the employer. Without us the club can't survive...

He wouldn't seem weak if he pulled the deal, as it would be to satisfy us supporters. We keep the club running and are the ones that will continue to do so for years to come. You can't really compare this to a normal company. Sure, you can between the chairman and the manager, yet you can't class us as 'staff'.

I think he has mitigating circumstances. I am sure a lot will not agree. I think he deserves his chance, I am sure alot won't agree.

But he may be a good fit in the similar mould to how Gregory was.

Bangs head against wall!!!!!

I am away now for a few days in Newcastle I can't beleive I'm going to miss all the action! No internet neither hardly!

This is gonna turn out to be the most incompetent way of handling matters of dealing with a managerial appointment in the history of handling managerial appointments and we'll be a laughing stock forever!

or if me and Diehardvillain & a few others are onto something........ then in one foul swoop Randy Lerner is gonna make SHA as well as

the press look like absolute baffoons

UTV!!

I like your thinking Julie & I am trying to see it as a positive that nothing has been said.

But like you say, we look VERY imcompetent at the moment, and when it suddenly looks like this saga is over and done with; they decide to let it drag on another 24 hours. I was applauding the way the board went about there business, but it would seem WHEN McLeish is appointed FINALLY, the whole media will be vindicated for the way they have criticised our conduct and secrecy. It has quite frankly turned out to be laughable. HOWEVER, maybe just maybe it isn't all as straight forward as it appears. Clinging onto some hope...forgive me.

Shame...because we are at a point on needing a team re-build...And we chose McLeish as the man to do it..

Not Va Gaal, Rijkaad, Flores etc,.. who would have the pick of some of Europe's finest plyers..

We chose McLeish who can sign rejects...