The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I've been rather too busy to keep up with the MLS as of late, but wow... the Galaxy with some serious cup hangover at dead last in their conference. And what's happening in Toronto? 9 played and 0 points.

So I've been rather too busy to keep up with the MLS as of late, but wow... the Galaxy with some serious cup hangover at dead last in their conference. And what's happening in Toronto? 9 played and 0 points.

Oh god. Can't we have at least one half decent team in the city?

• 4 weeks later...
looks great! How many does it hold?

Not sure, but looking at it I'm guessing around 22,000...

I'd love it if Bob Kraft built something like that in Boston...we're one of the last MLS clubs to still play in an NFL stadium...total joke of a situation, really.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty entertaining game, ended 4-3 Earthquakes. Becks is totally pissed off right now - just got a yellow card for firing a ball from about 20 yards away at someone receiving treatment which started a mini ruck, and he's now starting on a couple of Earthquakes players after the final whistle. That's some Olympic rejection rage right there. ;)

Galaxy vs Earthquakes is about to start. The Galaxy are doing a lot better as of late - mid-table now after 3 wins on the trot.

A bit OT but any bright talent coming from the MLS that could give the USA a good chance of going far in future World Cups?

I've read that football (ie soccer :) joke never gets old) is rapidly gaining popularity in America now, if so it shouldn't be long before the US and A starts to compete at the very top when it comes to the world's most popular sport.

Edit: Okay, not so OT :D

San Jose vs Galaxy was an exciting game to watch.Not the highest standard but a lot of effort with San Jose coming back from 3-1 down to win 4-3. Beckham lost his cool at teh end at booted the ball at the ref and an injured player. He and Keane looked very frustrated throughout

Juan Agudelo and Brek Shea have already made some noise in US friendlies and the like. Other than that, I don't think anyone's especially distinguished themselves. I don't pay a ton of attention to MLS, though, so there could be some others who just haven't gotten games with the national team where I would notice. It does seem to be a bit of a lull as far as domestically produced young players coming through the pipeline and forcing themselves into the picture internationally. Don't see any Clint Dempseys or Landon Donovans just yet, which could be a problem after this World Cup cycle.

Probably the biggest revelation in terms of new US players has been the German mother/American military father group (Fabian Johnson and Jermaine Jones in particular). Both will likely feature in Brazil. That has helped to a degree in pushing the roster forward in terms of quality and youth, but 3/4 of the first choice back line are already on the wrong side of 30, let alone at Brazil 14.

With MLS, there are a couple factors in play. There have been several young US players that have just skipped MLS and gone straight into youth setups - Lichaj for example, but also TSG Hoffenheim has had at least two, plus German-Americans Fabian Johnson and Danny Williams (probably the most Americans for a team outside of MLS/USL). MLS has also turned to Central and South America for talent, so several of the top players in the league are not eligible for the national team. It's definitely improving the quality of the league, but perhaps it gives national team prospects less opportunity to develop.

watched Brek Shea a few weeks ago on ESPN he looks quite decent

He is definitely considered the biggest up and comer in the MLS, trained with Arsenal in the winter. Omar Gonzalez is quite good as well, and should move to Europe soon as long as his recent knee problems do not set him back too much.

On another note, there has been rumours of Donovan making a move permanently to Everton, don't know if I buy into that however.

Â