Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

We're going down next season if Bent leaves.

Not necessarily.. It all depends more on what McLeish does with the rest of the side given we could be looking at a good 7-8 players being replaced.

Darren Bent was not the player Dwight Yorke was at his peak. However, he is capable of scoring as many goals and playing in a better team going back to a previous discussion.

Do people think he will be off in the summer as part of our mass clear out? Everything just seems a little extreme to me. I don't like all of the clear out talk especially if we are going to bring in new faces. We need to hold on to some of the players, chopping and changing to the extent I am hearing is very unsettling.

Darren Bent was not the player Dwight Yorke was at his peak. However, he is capable of scoring as many goals and playing in a better team going back to a previous discussion.

Do people think he will be off in the summer as part of our mass clear out? Everything just seems a little extreme to me. I don't like all of the clear out talk especially if we are going to bring in new faces. We need to hold on to some of the players, chopping and changing to the extent I am hearing is very unsettling.

He won't be part of the mass clear out he'll just be a by-product of a "bigger" club jumping for him and McLeish sensing more money to spend biting their hand off.

Whether Bent stays or goes.. Heskey, Gabby(possibly), Petrov, Delph, Ireland (possibly), Collins, Dunne, Warnock and Hutton (possibly) will all be going.. If they don't I will be surprised as many are part of the old guard and some are growing tired of our football.. All I know is if Gabby, Bent and Ireland go it will be their decision and not McLeish's as he wants to keep them I imagine.

I think bent will jump at the first chance

If Liverpool come knocking he wont be seen for dust

For £20+ million I would sell and get someone in for younger.

Not only that but I will have a little chuckle to myself too when we finish nicely above Loserpool. Great business by us.

Yorke was twice the player Bent will ever be imo.

Yorke went on and played for the best team in the world at the time and made a major contribution. Bent is not capable of that IMO.

Really!!! What absolute bullsh1t on so many levels. I wont even argue that a lucky Untied side were ever the best team in the world. The same side that got served by Barca the following year?!!

But I would argue that Darren Bent ≥ Andy Cole

United, in 1999, by winning the Champions League, proved themselves to be the best side in Europe. Although in the world would be opinion, admittedly.

That is a fact.

Andy Cole or Bent. That is opinion. But why hasn't a top club ever bought Bent?

You saying we are not a top club?!! :D

A combination of timing, price Tag and his demand for first team football. There is no doubt he is a better option than numerous strikers at the current top 4-5 clubs but he was never going to be a cheap option once he started scoring for fun at Charlton.

If we had of got him at the right time we could have tasted champions league football ourselves.

Ahh I see where we have a difference in opinion. It is the definition of a top club. Top Club for me is United, Barca, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Arsenal when they had Henry, Pires, Viera etc

So no we are not a top club.

Top clubs sign players no matter what the timing or price tag. Having said that he went down with Charlton and any top club could have got him then. He was disliked by Redknapp and any top club copuld have got him then. Also any top club could have got him from Sunderland.

I agree with your Champions League comment though.

Such a club does not exist. Every club has to think about timing and price tag. Having said that, Villa's actions when we snapped up Bent were that of a "top club", as you define it.

Arsenal have never been a "top club" (as you define it). Those signings you mention were purely down to the astuteness of Wenger - not "top club" behaviour.

I think bent will jump at the first chance

If Liverpool come knocking he wont be seen for dust

You mean like when they came knocking in January? Or last summer?

None of the 'big' clubs have ever put an offer in for Bent. Why would they now? He is a performer, but I reckon he is a performer who would do best at a club like Villa.

If he went to Liverpool and was dropped, even as part of general squad rotation, like Carroll and Suarez do from time to time, I reckon his form would also drop.

He's not good enough for where Liverpool want to be IMO. Honestly can't see him leaving.

Where Liverpool want to be and where they will actually end up are quite possibly two different places. They are a spent force living on past glories and are probably worse in the league now than they were last season so if Bent goes then I would think he would be aiming higher than these 'Has Beens.

He's not good enough for where Liverpool want to be IMO. Honestly can't see him leaving.

Where Liverpool want to be and where they will actually end up are quite possibly two different places. They are a spent force living on past glories and are probably worse in the league now than they were last season so if Bent goes then I would think he would be aiming higher than these 'Has Beens.

Absolutely. Liverpool are the eighth/ninth best team in the league. Where do they want to be? (I'm sure we want to be there as well, by the way.) Liverpool need huge wholesale changes and they simply do not have the money or manager to get where they want to be - they are light years away from the top four. I would willingly sell them Bent if they tip up the bulk of their transfer kitty to us in the summer - I actually think it would weaken them further and strengthen us because they then would have to rebuild their style of play to fit Bent's strengths. We, on the other hand, would have further funds to buy some top quality young talent to complement our youngsters.

Liverpool remind me of a more limited version of Martin O'Neill''s Villa.

Can't believe us boys would let darren bent go , he scores for fun , are we mad ! We been crying out for a goalscorer for ages ! He could become a legend !!

Sometimes you have to see the bigger picture and know when to sell. I think it's the perfect time to sell and fine tune Villa's squad. Bent simply isn't mobile or dynamic enough which, in turn, limits the team. A more dynamic front man opens up more options and styles of play.

Can't believe us boys would let darren bent go , he scores for fun , are we mad ! We been crying out for a goalscorer for ages ! He could become a legend !!

Sometimes you have to see the bigger picture and know when to sell. I think it's the perfect time to sell and fine tune Villa's squad. Bent simply isn't mobile or dynamic enough which, in turn, limits the team. A more dynamic front man opens up more options and styles of play.

As I said before, if you want someone more "dynamic" but also with a similar goalscoring ability then we'd need to spend our entire transfer budget on his replacement and break our wage structure.

As I said before, if you want someone more "dynamic" but also with a similar goalscoring ability then we'd need to spend our entire transfer budget on his replacement and break our wage structure.

Seriously out of the strikers who score at a similar rate to Bent in the Prem, who exaclty is less dynamic? Surely he has the worst all round game of any of them. Someone like Fletcher at Wolves has every bit a good as record as Bent has for you and he wouldn't be on anywhere near the wages Bent is on. Even if you use the excuse that Bent hasn't had good service this season and use last season stats, he still only scored every 156 minutes, yet Grant Holt has scored every 142 mins for Norwich this season and he's be on way less the Bent. Fletcher scored at a quicker raet for Wolves last season and this season.

I honestly just don't think you are aware of this, as you talk about Bent like he's some goal scoring sensation. He's just a striker who has played lot in the Prem so has an overall high goals total. But in reality he's not a striker that is particuarly likely to get you a goal given an even amount of playing time with numerous other Prem stikers.

Newcastle have shown you don't need to break the bank to buy much better for less. Both Cisse and Ba are proof of this. I can't believe Hernandez cost Utd much in wages and Villa would certainly have paid much more than a Mexican club. Jelavic looks a real classy player for Everton and I can't believe they are paying him more than you pay Bent. Isn't this evidence that if you just look around, you can improve on Bent without big spending?

I think the injury has worked in our favour, think Bent will still be here come the start of the season.

If he'd gone off to the euros and scored a few goals, his stock would be high here and in europe and I doubt he'd have been thrilled to come back for another mid table season.

Â