The classical music thread

mjmooney

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Sure

Cat no: 2175002, if you want to get it somewhere cheaper?

Ah, yes. I saw it on Amazon (UK), but under the Warner Bros label, rather than EMI. Tempted.

Actually, on further investigation, I already have a great deal of the music on that EMI/Warner box, so I think I'll pass. I might get the avant garde Sony one, though. 

On 09/03/2016 at 21:58, AlwaysAVFC said:

When it comes to classical I have relatively no knowledge of it and never really given it a chance.

Missed this, sorry.

What do you like that's not classical?

Monsieur Mooney is looking through more recent classical music.

They experiment with, and often entirely abandon, timing, tuning and recognised instruments.

It's not all a row, but it's often an acquired taste :D

59 minutes ago, Xann said:

Do it.

These comps are great for that.

Are you more receptive to electronic music from this angle?

I'm not even sure what angle I'm looking from. Which I guess is kind of the point... :)

On 09/03/2016 at 21:58, AlwaysAVFC said:

When it comes to classical I have relatively no knowledge of it and never really given it a chance.

It's difficult to make recommendations. Imagine someone saying "I know nothing about pop and rock, where to I start?" Where would you point them? 

"Classical" is even more diverse than that. Being A Book Guy, I read about stuff, and then try things out. I like bits of various eras, TBH. 

I'm coming into classical a bit these days. Oddly enough, it comes from my original love of techno, so I started really getting into people like Tangerine Dream, Pete Namlook...these have led me onto Terry Riley and Philip Glass....before you know it, BAM! Handel.

There's an astonishing array of modern classical/electronic crossover out there that I'm always looking out for....

6 hours ago, islingtonclaret said:

I'm coming into classical a bit these days. Oddly enough, it comes from my original love of techno, so I started really getting into people like Tangerine Dream, Pete Namlook...these have led me onto Terry Riley and Philip Glass....before you know it, BAM! Handel.

There's an astonishing array of modern classical/electronic crossover out there that I'm always looking out for....

Yeah, basically the same journey. Still listen to masses of techno, but traveled from techno to noise to musique concrete to Stravinsky. 

On 10 March 2016 at 22:41, Xann said:

Missed this, sorry.

What do you like that's not classical?

Monsieur Mooney is looking through more recent classical music.

They experiment with, and often entirely abandon, timing, tuning and recognised instruments.

It's not all a row, but it's often an acquired taste :D

I always really struggle with the what music do you listen to question, and while its not as diverse as some on here I listen to a fair range. I listen to a lot of Reggae & Dub at the moment then various forms of electronic music not so much the really experimental stuff, some indie, rock, punk, blues.

On 10 March 2016 at 22:56, mjmooney said:

It's difficult to make recommendations. Imagine someone saying "I know nothing about pop and rock, where to I start?" Where would you point them? 

"Classical" is even more diverse than that. Being A Book Guy, I read about stuff, and then try things out. I like bits of various eras, TBH. 

That's what I like about the various music threads on here. People post things you've never heard. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, sometimes it needs another chance and sometimes it leads you on to other things through recommended similar artists on Spotify, YouTube etc. Its good just to see what others listen to and then make your own mind up through exploring.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

It's good just to see what others listen to and then make your own mind up through exploring.

Aye, it is.

When you're listening, do you do whole albums at a time?

18 minutes ago, Xann said:

Aye, it is.

When you're listening, do you do whole albums at a time?

I suppose it varies but generally yes, it's good when an album feels like a piece of work as a whole rather than a collection of songs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Â