The classical music thread

mjmooney

OK, this may die on its feet, or end up being just me, Xann and theunderstudy (same thing, I suppose). :D

But this is the place for "classical" (in its widest sense) music discussion - what you like, what you hate, recommendations, questions, general chat.

Me? Currently grooving on that Stravinsky box set I mentioned in the "cheer you up" thread.

Anybody else listening to this stuff?

and
for me.
Can't play music at work, but I'll be checking these out when I get home. :thumb:

BTW this thread will not be officially gay until we get to Tchaikovsky.

It's boring innit?

I had a tosser of a music teacher at school who launched a tirade at me when I dared ask a question about classical music. "Classical boy, do you mean baroque, or romantic?!" Ginger, bearded bastard. I hope he's dead now.

Ginger, bearded bastard. I hope he's dead now.

Thanks...i just got a death stare from the gaffer because i laughed at my computer screen which generally means im not pricing the new care home in Hereford like im supposed to be and instead im swinging the lead cruising the Interweb.

:lol:

It's boring innit?

I had a tosser of a music teacher at school who launched a tirade at me when I dared ask a question about classical music. "Classical boy, do you mean baroque, or romantic?!" Ginger, bearded bastard. I hope he's dead now.

That certainly proves he was a tosser, I agree.

Doesn't mean the music is boring though.

It's boring innit?

No I know, I was being ironic or something. I don't mind a bit of classical, no expert like, I just know if I hear something that I like.

It's boring innit?

No I know, I was being ironic or something. I don't mind a bit of classical, no expert like, I just know if I hear something that I like.

Yeah, that's the thing. There's too much elitism and fear. People think you need to understand musical theory before you can listen to it, but to me it's no different to pop music. You don't need to know WHY you like a piece, just enjoy it.

It took me years of "dabbling" before I started to form strong likes and dislikes.

For all its shallowness, Classic FM has probably done a lot to break down the barriers. But it still seems to target the "SAGA generation" (i.e. people like me!)

Ginger bearded bastard? Not dead, posts on VT under the name "Gingerlad"

Currently enjoying a bit of Grieg at work. In The Hall of the Mountain King to be precise.

Another tune I love:

And no, I cant hear it without imagining helicopters blowing up a village.

You have no idea having this blaring loud and driving down a crowded high street in Tewkesbury can make people move out of the way in respect. I one day dream to fly a plane whilst listening to this.

Another tune I love:

And no, I cant hear it without imagining helicopters blowing up a village.

Ah, Wagner.

Now, I have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to opera. I think it's because I grew up with Anglo-American pop/rock, but I can't help thinking that that 90% of "classical" singing just sounds ludicrous. But I do like Wagner's tunes and orchestral arrangements.

So I kind of though that this might be ideal:

51S3REJiI8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And it's sort of OK. But it makes you realise that a symphony is more than just stringing a bunch of tunes together. This doesn't claim to be a symphony, admittedly, but it doesn't really hang together properly - you can "see the joins".

Has a certain something played very loud in the car though!

Last concert I went to was Birmingham Philharmonic performing the works of Dmitri Shostakovich - very very good, and a very very underrated composer.

I listen to it a lot , some pieces I have no idea of a name or composer but that isn't always important , unless you want to try and get a copy of it then it's a tad difficult :-)

It's timeless music and I think people know it more than they realise through TV adverts or even borrowed by other musicians

Pachelbel's Canon is one of my fav pieces for what it's worth

they recently found a missing Vivaldi flute concerto in Scotland that was thought to be lost , only heard a brief excerpt of it but it was rumoured to have been a geographical equivalent to The Four Seasons ..the "found" piece was referred to as "India" .. makes you wonder just how much music has been lost

Last concert I went to was Birmingham Philharmonic performing the works of Dmitri Shostakovich - very very good, and a very very underrated composer.
Careful, or we'll start replicating the "underrated"/"overrated" argument from the pop threads!

Shostakovich is a strong contender for my favourite composer. He could do it all - nice tuneful stuff, film soundtracks, big symphonies, demanding experimental chamber music, you name it.

The 5th symphony would be in my desert island list.

Pachelbel's Canon is one of my fav pieces for what it's worth

Mine too. Simple, but perfect.

But please don't talk to me about The Farm's "All Together Now".

Â