The classical music thread

mjmooney

The piano stuff is very mixed. Some is very easy on the ear, not something I usually associate with him.

Some isn't ;)

Try Etude No.13, 'The Devil's Staircase' ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Recently I've been listening to this a lot:

Per the description:

'Arsenij Avraamov's best-known creation appeared involved the Caspian port of Baku [Bakı, capital of Azerbaijan], for the Fifth Anniversary of the Soviet Republic on 7 November 1922. A spectacular, called the Symphony of the Factory Sirens, used the services of a huge cast of choirs (joined by spectators), the foghorns of the entire Soviet Caspian flotilla, two batteries of artillery guns, a number of full infantry regiments (including a machine-gun division) hydroplanes, and all the factory sirens of Baku. Conductors posted on specially built towers signaled various sound units with colored flags and pistol shots. A central "steam-whistle machine" pounded out "The Internationale" and "La Marseillaise" as noisy "autotransports" (half-tracks) raced across Baku for a gigantic sound finale in the festival square.'

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

one of my all time favourite pieces of music. So beautiful and yet so sad.

RVW improved it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

RVW improved it. 

There are so many versions. I do prefer the ones that don't try to complicate things and that are slightly repetitive. I really should be casting my net into the classical genre. A beginners guide to classical anyone? Or is that a silly question.

• 3 months later...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They've recently released the whistles and bells edition of the '55. It's not cheap.

I quite like Joanna MacGregor as it goes. Maybe not for the purists, but more approachable than most.

Â