The classical music thread

mjmooney

That's on Deja Vu, a rather lacklustre (shite) label.

The next step up are the albums on Capitol and BMG.

If you really love them there's the GDM reissues. Expensive, but the best reproductions available. They're usually listed under the films' Italian titles.

I was going to link the cheapest GDM I'd ever seen, but I bought it instead, sorry. :oops:

• 3 months later...
Rossini -

LLate, but the whole of that piece is brilliant. Though everyone will of course recognise the famous couple of minutes of it.... and imagine riding a horse.

Rossini -

LLate, but the whole of that piece is brilliant. Though everyone will of course recognise the famous couple of minutes of it.... and imagine riding a horse.

I'd have thought that that famous truism ("An intellectual is someone who can hear 'The William Tell Overture' without thinking of 'The Lone Ranger') no longer applies to most people. The Lone Ranger TV series stopped being shown when even I was a small boy. Who has seen it these days?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's a sign that you're truly turning into a boring old fart.... or it might be the fact that the mere mention of the word football regurgitates unhappy recollections of this season's never ending collapses.........but I find myself tuning more and more to Classic FM in the car these days.

I've also discovered that classical music instantly shuts up a certain 9mnth old in the back of the vehicle as well!

Danke schon M. Mooney, I shall check it out when next on my laptop.

I've just started having a gander at Grade 6 pieces to attempt to rachet up my musical skill another level. There is a piece for lute (adapted for guitar) by none other than Johann Sebastian Bach. He really does not make allowances for different instruments, as soon as I heard a recording played you could tell it was the father. I'll see if I can find a clip for on here.

Another under appreciated composer

The string chops at 0.57 could almost be from a 20th century piece.

Excellent. And that video clip is **** freaky.

Â