The classical music thread

mjmooney

Boulez is most famous for being a conductor. He's done Beethoven, Mozart, Debussy... the popular stuff. He's also been the champion of the less accessible, contemporary composers and works. He recorded the likes of Ligeti and Varese for Deutsche Grammophon, as well as composing his own often quite experimental music.

You'll get a fair bit of listening out of him. You might even like some of it? :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am about halfway through reading "Instrumental: A Memoir of Madness, Medication and Music" by James Rhodes". Has anyone read this?  Brutally honest, powerful, and a bit disturbing, all at the same time.  He talks a lot about music - how it helped him through some very dark times as a kid and how it can help to heal.  Very informative and interesting for anyone into classical.  I am not particularly, but I have learned quite a lot reading this and it has changed my view of classical music and the composers!   He recommends a piece of music to accompany every chapter and has created a playlist on Spotify.  If you want to check it out you can get the playlist for free - just search 'instrumental James Rhodes' and you should find it.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jun/04/instrumental-a-memoir-of-madness-medication-and-music-james-rhodes-review

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you got it already?

It looks ok. Not too mental by any means. Nothing too sleepy either.

Partch is quite approachable generally. There's the usual danger that you might not get on with the voice of the chosen vocalists.

It's not for me, got a bit of it already, and the EMI 20th Century box set.

Not sure what you're going to make of disk 9? The electronic/concrete one.

Sprinkle a couple of the titles into Spotify, see what you think?

The EMI box has more in it, but is much more orchestral.

What contemporary stuff do you like already?

If "contemporary" means 20th C, then Stravinsky, Bartok, Shostakovich, Berg, Schonberg, a bit of Cage and Riley. 

Oh, and I like a lot of the Nikos Mamangakis soundtrack on "Der Zweite Heimat". 

6 hours ago, Xann said:

Sprinkle a couple of the titles into Spotify, see what you think?

The whole album is on there. Thought I'd have a look at widening my tastes a bit. Skipped through a few tracks and not so sure, but will give it a proper go some time.

3 hours ago, Xann said:

The EMI 20th Century Masterpieces is more where you're at now. The Sony one if you want to strike out a bit?

Have you got a link for that? EMI seem to have a range of "Masterpieces" CDs for different composers, but is there a various artists box? 

Â