Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think players we want to keep (Young's, Downing, NRC etc) will be looking at any new appointemtent (our 5th manager in 12 months) and hedging their bets on it, as good as Lambert, Poyet etc are we are in no position to be taking on a championship manager imo, whilst i agree they will all be top managers, with the season we've had we cant risk taking a punt on somebody we need a well-known name who has a proven record (i know many would argue this didnt work with Ged) but if we take on a 'nobody' we'll quickly lose our key players and have to completely rebuild with names that are mid-table fodder.

Under a bigger name, with their connections, even after a bad season (see Bent and Makoun) we can attract decent players, i worry that under a Lambert or Poyet we wouldn't have the same pull in the transfer market and have to spend another 5 years catching up with Spurs and Liverpool.

I think players we want to keep (Young's, Downing, NRC etc) will be looking at any new appointemtent (our 5th manager in 12 months) and hedging their bets on it, as good as Lambert, Poyet etc are we are in no position to be taking on a championship manager imo, whilst i agree they will all be top managers, with the season we've had we cant risk taking a punt on somebody we need a well-known name who has a proven record (i know many would argue this didnt work with Ged) but if we take on a 'nobody' we'll quickly lose our key players and have to completely rebuild with names that are mid-table fodder.

Under a bigger name, with their connections, even after a bad season (see Bent and Makoun) we can attract decent players, i worry that under a Lambert or Poyet we wouldn't have the same pull in the transfer market and have to spend another 5 years catching up with Spurs and Liverpool.

That is pretty much exactly how I feel.

Exactly this. There are at least a dozen managers in the lower leagues who have done good jobs with what they've had at their disposal but remember this is the big leagues. We need to attract big players and not only that but we still have considerable funds when compared to lower league clubs. I would worry what these lower league managers would do if they suddenly had millions to spend.

I've been a big fan of David Moyes since his days as manager of Preston when he had them playing out of their skins! I also think that Owen Coyle could produce a Villa team that would be well worth watching, and I'm fairly sure that Paul Lambert would be effective as a Prem manager.

However my first choice given a swift and full recover by GH would be to sit back and watch Gerard implement his "summer of change." He's done a lot of the painful preparation for this already, and he's taken a hell of a lot of flak for both his own mistakes and also situations which arose from our previous incumbent.

I would love to see a fully fit Houllier having got rid of the naysayers and dead weight, starting next season with his own football philosophy firmly in place and 24 fully fit and focussed players ready to die for the Villa cause.

I've been a big fan of David Moyes since his days as manager of Preston when he had them playing out of their skins! I also think that Owen Coyle could produce a Villa team that would be well worth watching, and I'm fairly sure that Paul Lambert would be effective as a Prem manager.

However my first choice given a swift and full recover by GH would be to sit back and watch Gerard implement his "summer of change." He's done a lot of the painful preparation for this already, and he's taken a hell of a lot of flak for both his own mistakes and also situations which arose from our previous incumbent.

I would love to see a fully fit Houllier having got rid of the naysayers and dead weight, starting next season with his own football philosophy firmly in place and 24 fully fit and focussed players ready to die for the Villa cause.

GOOD POST

Lower league manager with pulling power = Sven?

With regards to Poyet and Lambert and co i would think they will be offered jobs in the Premier League next season but probably at a lower level. There will be a few managers moving in the Prem maybe Mcleish to Sunderland, Moyes to whoever, Coyle to whoever and obviously then those that get the boot Bruce we have mentioned Ancelloti at Chelsea (Nuts if happens)Keane at Blackburn Grant at West Ham depends if they are still in the Prem but lots of movement this summer i reckon.

As for us well i tend to agree with the above if the guy is fit and healthy he has dealt with alot this season gets a summer to build his vision and bring his players in and hopefully we will get somewhere next season with a fully fit squad all pulling in the same direction.

If he wants to take a back seat due to health issues then move him upstairs to help with transfers and so on and be an ear for one of those younger managers that you all mention or his buddy Moyes!

In a dream world now he has lost a league game at home and if he fancies a serious challenge and Randy decides to sell the Browns and make Villa the best team in Europe once again give the job to Mourinho!!

I think GH could be extremely valuable upstairs. He could continue to influence the development of the club, and suggest players to the manager. He is well connected in the game and this could certainly be a benefit. I think he would be far more effective in that role than as manager. And if we could have somebody like Moyes as first team coach, already a friend of Houllier's, I really believe that could be a very prosperous set up indeed.

Meant to post this a while ago but was busy - In all honesty I think this thread is completely disrespectful to the current manager. Yes we haven't done great and he's disrespected us as fans but at the end of the day he is our manager so why talk about our next manager as if it's an inevitable outcome? We've improved and if Houllier's health improves he'll be with us through Summer and into next season.

Meant to post this a while ago but was busy - In all honesty I think this thread is completely disrespectful to the current manager. Yes we haven't done great and he's disrespected us as fans but at the end of the day he is our manager so why talk about our next manager as if it's an inevitable outcome? We've improved and if Houllier's health improves he'll be with us through Summer and into next season.

I don't think it's disrespectful at all.

I'm relatively pro houllier. And if he recovers and stays on I'll have no problem with it.

However, even if (and when, hopefully) he fully recovers I think it's a very likely scenario that Houllier will call it a day for management.

It;s not like we're saying "Houllier's definitely going to pop his clogs, who shall we replace him with"

The fact is that Houllier having managed his last Aston Villa game is a very likely scenario, even though he will likely make a full recovery. Discussing who we think will take over if this likely scenario occurs is in no way disrespectful, just a little presumptuous at worst.

I'm relatively pro houllier. And if he recovers and stays on I'll have no problem with it.

However, even if (and when, hopefully) he fully recovers I think it's a very likely scenario that Houllier will call it a day for management.

It;s not like we're saying "Houllier's definitely going to pop his clogs, who shall we replace him with"

The fact is that Houllier having managed his last Aston Villa game is a very likely scenario, even though he will likely make a full recovery. Discussing who we think will take over if this likely scenario occurs is in no way disrespectful, just a little presumptuous at worst.

Yes I understand that but this thread was going on for quite a while before he got taken ill... infact I also think there was a similar thread going on before this for quite a few months if I recall correctly... that's why I said 'Meant to post this a while ago but was busy'.

Yes I understand that but this thread was going on for quite a while before he got taken ill... infact quite a few months... that's why I said 'Meant to post this a while ago but was busy'.

At which point Houllier was getting the dreaded vote of confidence, and it wasn't looking unlikely that he could be sacked.

Is it disrespectful to discuss who we could replace Young with in the Summer when he's likely to leave?

This. Excellent post.

Yes I understand that but this thread was going on for quite a while before he got taken ill... infact quite a few months... that's why I said 'Meant to post this a while ago but was busy'.

At which point Houllier was getting the dreaded vote of confidence, and it wasn't looking unlikely that he could be sacked.

Is it disrespectful to discuss who we could replace Young with in the Summer when he's likely to leave?

No because it's a different situation, Young hasn't signed a new contract and we had been in a dangerous position in the table. Houllier on the other hand wasn't going to leave any time soon, up until this illness, which may put that in doubt if he doesn't fully recover..

The only way I think this thread would not be disrespectful was if Houllier had said he was leaving. But he hasn't. And he's not (unless he doesn't recover fully).

Not disrespectful Stevo but any thread of that nature is usually locked... "we don't allow pure speculation threads".

Luckily for this thread, a couple of mods are more than happy to discuss Houllier's replacement, despite breaking their own precious rules.

IMO, of course :lol:

No because it's a different situation, Young hasn't signed a new contract and we had been in a dangerous position in the table. Houllier on the other hand wasn't going to leave any time soon, up until this illness, which may put that in doubt if he doesn't fully recover..

The only way I think this thread would not be disrespectful was if Houllier had said he was leaving. But he hasn't. And he's not (unless he doesn't recover fully).

I sort of see what you're saying, but I think you're making a fuss out of nothing, imo.

It's a forum, this is what happens on them.

Not disrespectful Stevo but any thread of that nature is usually locked... "we don't allow pure speculation threads".

Luckily for this thread, a couple of mods are more than happy to discuss Houllier's replacement, despite breaking their own precious rules.

IMO, of course :lol:

Sarcastic criticism is a sure fire way to get on their good side though.

Well done :thumb: