Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

It would be very interesting to hear what the Fulham fans think about potentially losing Hughes.

How do they rate him compared to Woy?

Just having a quick look through their forum, they seem gutted he may be leaving as they feel he's done a decent job (which he has). Most seem to accept that a move to Villa would be a step up for him.

Friends of Fulham

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LA LA LA LA Not listening, fingers in ears, eyes shut, LA LA LA. Hughes not going. Exciting football, building best squad we have ever had. No not going to happen. LA LA LA LA.

If it does. We might as well

No ambition and little hope left.

From their forum :D

With the amount of money Hughes had to spend at Man Shitty there was bound to be a few dodgy signings. He was building a completely new squad, so some of the players he bought were intended to be backup players.

I would say him building the spine of their current team (Kompany, Lescott, Barry, De Jong, Tevez) is enough to say he did spend well.

Also, the football they played then was far better than the boring stuff Mancini has got them playing.

im pretty sure given £230 million to spend on players, my nan could have picked some which would be good and part of a team 18 months later

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 02 Jul, 2008

Tal Ben-Haim Chelsea Signed 30 Jul, 2008

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 22 Aug, 2008

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 28 Aug, 2008

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free 31 Aug, 2008

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 03 Jan, 2009

Craig Bellamy West Ham £14,000,000 19 Jan, 2009

Nigel de Jong Hamburg Signed 21 Jan, 2009

Shay Given Newcastle Signed 01 Feb, 2009

There's some dodgy signings on that list!

yep

add in robinho, £18 million on de jong who was available on a free transfer 3 months later and able to sign a precontract agreement in january with man city.

14 million on bellemy who did well for 1 season before being booted out of the club, given was 10 million i think?

some in principle seem or seemed good buys but the value for money from them has apart from kompany who was wanted by several clubs but man city paid the most wages and arguably de jong even at 18 million is a good player but for the sake of 3 months? £18 million? really?

every manager makes **** ups but when you can buy ANYONE in the world those signings havent been THAT good really.

Transfer fees at City are irrelevant - every purchase was hiked up because the selling clubs knew they could demand it. All Hughes could do was pinpoint the right players and in this regard he did a mostly excellent job. Kompany, in particular, has proven to be one of the best finds in the Premier League in recent times.

so if he spent alot on a player it is irelevant? but if he doesnt spend as much on a player then it is one of the best finds in recent times?

you cant have it both ways

kompany was no great find, he had been purchased for £6 million by hamburg in the first place who then sold him on,he was wanted by several clubs and only one of those clubs offered £100k per week, have a guess which one?

you also make excuses for his signings saying that the money didnt count, just the players and he got the right players?

No, nowhere have I equated the lesser transfer fee in Kompany's case as the basis for it being a 'find', purely that Kompany was a young player (he's still only 25) who was bought as a defensive midfielder and has since developed into one of the best central defenders in the Premier League. The fact that £6m looks like such a bargain now shows what excellent value for money he's been in comparative terms but I don't suppose City are that fussed about such things. He was also not signed on a £100,000 contract - it was more like £35-40,000. I'm sure it's a bit more now mind you.

And as I've discussed before, Hughes has spotted great upcoming players throughout his managerial career with less money for transfer fees and less to offer in wages so its not an isolated case but merely one of many.

Hughes would be an underwhelming and safe choice by the board, guaranteed to keep us comfortably in this league, but not a lot more.

Surely Ancelotti has to be on the shortlist?? If not, why the hell not?

Hughes is the red hot fav with the bookies still in fact odds on, Moyes & Benitez have gone slightly out,the interesting one though is Martinez has had his odds reduced as low as 4-1 at some bookies!

Ancelotti has really gone out though as high as 33-1 with some bookies,not always right but they are not usually far out.

Well we are declining. Our club is in a right mess atm.

Lucky the board seem to be acting fast then as it is only June 1st. Hopefully we have earmarked potential replacements to Houllier already.

I wouldn't mind Martinez tbh!

Even though Wigan have been down the bottom of the league A LOT. He occasionally plays nice football and has signed a few decent players while at Wigan.

With a decent defensive coach, or better defenders at his disposal, he could do a job here.

But I do think he loves Wigan because of his history with them. However, if he was to come here, I reckon he'd be a pretty loyal manager, sticking with us, much like Moyes has with Everton.