Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expected Champions League as a minimum but going to instead get 6th in La Liga? I'll admit I dont know much about him but he has seemed very promising. Didnt realise they were underperforming though. Maybe some La Liga watchers can chime in?

If we want Champions League in probably the hardest league in the world to do so... Is taking a guy underperforming in La Liga worth a punt? Obviously talking long term. I'd be thrilled with 7th or above next season but we need a long-term manager.

From what I'd heard Quique was always a promising manager, half-decent football and had a great season last season. but I dont watch La Liga enough to chime in properly. Gut instinct would be 'yes'. But somebody who cant perform in La Liga would usually get a 'no' from me.

Unbelieveable, Villas Boas' Porto side have remained undefeated in Superliga. He's bound to win the Europa League as well. Everyone should be after him.

Flores would be a good option for us. He has underachived in La Liga, but he has managed to win the Europa League and Super Cup. Let's be honest, I think we should aim for respectable silverware over top 4 and I reckon he'll be a good prospect for us in that department. He can adapt to different leagues well, so I doubt we'll struggle relegation under him.

Hopefully Lerner knows by now that if he keeps GH and GM, the team is sunk. Any glimmer of hope that Ashley might stay would be gone, Downing would demand out, and once Downing demands out, the whole thing will be shot to hell..

Here's some news, Ashley Young would be leaving no matter who was manager, and even if we'd finished 6th this season, anyone who thinks there's even a glimmer of hope of him staying is obviously deluded.

As for the rest of your comments, interest in Downing will inevitably be high in the summer, but his position is very different from that of Young.

Actually, none of your post makes sense, because none of us know what could happen next season under Houllier/GMAC, i'm of the opinion that even if MON had stayed we'd still have struggled to finish top 10 this season, and I think that has something to do with why he left.

How about this, why not wait and see what happens, but WHOEVER is manager get behind the team ? After all we're Aston Villa fans, we don't have to be Gerard Houllier fans, but if he's manager next season it would be better for all of us if he were a success, and fans being negative will not help that happen.

The Star

ASTON VILLA will turn to David Moyes if Gerard Houllier is unable to return as manager – and the move would create a major dilemma for the Everton boss.

Glaswegian Moyes, 48, would have to decide whether it was time to move on after nine years at Goodison, where he has job security and the respect of chairman Bill Kenwright and the Everton board.

But Villa would represent a new challenge and give him more money to spend in the transfer market.

The Daily Star Sunday has been told that Moyes would top Villa’s wanted list in the event of Houllier being unable to continue in his role.

The Frenchman, who underwent open heart surgery when in charge of Liverpool in 2001, has missed the end of this season through illness after being taken to hospital with chest pains last month.

Houllier, 63, still hopes to return to work and his assistant Gary McAllister has taken charge of the side for the time being.

When the Frenchman took over at Villa Park last year, he revealed he had spoken to his heart surgeon before accepting the job.

He spoke to Dr Abbas Rashid – the man who performed his 11-hour operation – and was given a clean bill of health.

Meanwhile, Moyes has become one of the top managers in the country.

He claimed the LMA Manager of the Year award in 2009 for the third time and has won the accolade more times than any other manager.

More 'ifs and buts' than substance but still.... a move i'd definately welcome!

No chance he'll come here..

Read what I posted a page or 2 back about Flores. He'd DEFINITELY come to AVFC if he were offered the job. His teams play an attactive style of football, but are known to be underachievers in the league. As for his Europa League title...great, but let's be honest here, Fulham made the final and they are by no means a football juggernaut.

The positives are that he is young and has a lot of doubters to prove wrong. Also he'd certainly bring in some young Spanish or South American talent. This would obviously be good news for a certain Spanish CB we have rotting on the bench! Flores likes to have 1 CB who is a bruiser and 1 who can play football. His gf is very fit and for you ladies out there he's good looking. He's an ex-footballer, which to me is a plus.

Has brought young talent through well over his coaching career. He's not a moron when it comes to choosing his starting XI which is also an improvement over what we have now.

7th place in La Liga just isn't good enough with the squad he has...no excuses. Atlético is a strange kinda team though. Like a poor man's Arsenal as far as blowing leads and choking is concerned. I think he'd either do extremely well here or we could have a GH situation part 2.

Seems there are no less than four managers out there who are top of the list of replacements should Houllier not return. Makes me wonder if there's anyone who's on the list but not at the top. :lol:

I think having Houllier in an upstairs role with the younger coach/Manager in the main day to day role could suit Villa quite nicely, particularly if that Manager was someone like Flores, There would be a best of both worlds French and Spanish talent spotting to be had. I don't mind Houllier as a person and think he has some merits as a Manager. BUT. I'd prefer him in a background role, without McAllister.

I don't like all these 'if Houller is unable to return' bits. Just let the guy go already. His heart can't handle it, that's obvious. He was here for a matter o months before it gave in again, even if he makes a recovery how long before the next one?

Offer him a cushy back room job with no stress, or let him go back to his job in France (which rumours are has been held open for him) and just get someone in as soon as the seasons over to start rebuilding.

It's an odd situation, but I would let the guy know right now that he ain't coming back to Villa.

I covered that in my post in the GH thread Gav - he's dodged death narrowly twice and we're the least stress free club around. He'll get himself killed, and I'm not even kidding.

It's going to be utterly bizarre if he stays for the summer and next season.

Fan reaction will be a mixture of anger, sympathy and worry about putting pressure on him and thus killing him. If he does get the all-clear from Randy, I'd imagine a lot of people will reconsider their views about our board.

Houllier's health problems are too big a risk and that alone will "IMO" mean he will go.

I just dont see Lerner taking that risk and i think after the last game we will see things changing quickly.