Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Next Villa manager will probably look at the way the fans react to the team not performing as they - the fans - want and think 'Do I need that kind of abuse?'

of the last 4/5 managers only MO'N seemed to get away with and even then he had Moscow and the two Chelsea games last season to answer for.

DOL - abused.

Gregory - abused.

Little - abused.

GT(mk2) - abused.

We as fans do have quite a history of giving the manager grief even if only on the net and radio phone ins.

David O'Leary made the mistake of taking on the fans directly - which if you're doing your job properly and getting good results you can get away with. He was doing neither and the "fickle" comments were the first of many self-inflicted wounds that ultimately led him being ushered out. The fact that no other football club has gone anywhere near him in five years should indicate exactly what his standing inside the game is.

Graham Taylor made the mistake of thinking he could revive past glories but the club and the game had changed a lot since his earlier tenure and the job he took on was a very different beast - one that he looked ill-prepared for. He did, in all fairness, get a bit of grief that year - no doubt exacerbated by two embarrassing performances and results against Blues - but nothing compared what Houllier is receiving now. The fans knew he loved the club and the fact that he walked away and acknowledged that he couldn't do the job properly was, for me, a dignified way to demonstrate that he understood what the club needed. He will always be welcomed back.

John Gregory was generally well-liked by the fans, but was technically limited and at times tactically naive. He also, it has to be said, spent a lot of money of some poor players. But I think everyone knew that he loved the club and always acted with the best of intentions towards Villa. He only left because of his deteriorating relationship with Doug Ellis.

Brian Little was never abused. With the way performances were going, I think many were worried that things could turn sour at some point but there was - and still is - huge affection for him. Unfortunately, when the pressure of results and working for Ellis combined, he gave the impression of not being able to handle the pressure and walked.

Villa fans are no different from any other club's in this regard. But saddle us with a man that demonstrates no visible understanding or appreciation for the size, history and expectations of the club and patience will run out fast when performances on the pitch are so pitiful.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next Villa manager will probably look at the way the fans react to the team not performing as they - the fans - want and think 'Do I need that kind of abuse?'

of the last 4/5 managers only MO'N seemed to get away with and even then he had Moscow and the two Chelsea games last season to answer for.

DOL - abused.

Gregory - abused.

Little - abused.

GT(mk2) - abused.

We as fans do have quite a history of giving the manager grief even if only on the net and radio phone ins.

Alan there is a difference between a bit of stick being dished out on a radio phone in, faceless letter to the paper and internet forum post.

Fulltime at VP on Saturday I saw the most hostile reaction to any Villa manager I've seen in 30 odd years of going.

It was very intimidating just watching on tele

I don't agree with those who says we won't get [insert name here] because we're in trouble atm. We're Aston Villa and we're a big english club who I think most people think should do better than we are. We're not in the drop zone yet, and I think many managers would jump the chance to get us up tha table and then try their best to become a legend at VP. We're one of the biggest clubs in England. There are many who'd take that job just to prove themselves. And we have an owner knowned for being very loyal to his managers, I think. So, even though we're in trouble now, I think many managers would take the chance, especially british ones.

But my first option may not fall in to that category, and that would be van Gaal. Great manager with a good reputation. Would love it, and now I think is the right time to bring him in. He'll leave Bayern at the end of this season anyway.

Others would be Lambert and Grayson. Jol, no doubt.

No for me would be the likes of McClaren, Allardyuce and Curbs.

But I think there are plenty of options.

Houllier to stay? I've supported him for most of the season, but the problem for me now is that he seems to lack the ability to get the players to fight for our cause, and for that I think it's necessary for him to go.

he's been rather successfull as a manager, has he not? So he must be doing something right. I don't care if the players really like their manager or not, as long as they play well. Of course, it might go hand in hand, but if van Gaal has the reputation of upsetting players and still has that record as a manager and has represnted some of the biggest clubs in the world, I think he could do well for us.

I really think if we go down - we could do worse than Curbishley - I wanted him ahead of GH.

We could do worse than Curbishley but we'd have to be looking really hard.

Shit we looked really hard before and looked what it got us :o

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://img546.imageshack.us/img546/8774/houllier.jpg' alt='houllier.jpg'>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I wouldn't mind Grayson tbh.

He's done a good job at Leeds, plays nice football and has a connection with Villa. We could do a lot worse.

Agree.

Would really like the next Villa manager to be someone whos previously played for the club. Or atleast assisted by someone who has.

DOL - abused.

Gregory - abused.

Little - abused.

GT(mk2) - abused.

David O'Leary made the mistake of taking on the fans directly - which if you're doing your job properly and getting good results you can get away with. He was doing neither and the "fickle" comments were the first of many self-inflicted wounds that ultimately led him being ushered out. The fact that no other football club has gone anywhere near him in five years should indicate exactly what his standing inside the game is.

Graham Taylor made the mistake of thinking he could revive past glories but the club and the game had changed a lot since his earlier tenure and the job he took on was a very different beast - one that he looked ill-prepared for. He did, in all fairness, get a bit of grief that year - no doubt exacerbated by two embarrassing performances and results against Blues - but nothing compared what Houllier is receiving now. The fans knew he loved the club and the fact that he walked away and acknowledged that he couldn't do the job properly was, for me, a dignified way to demonstrate that he understood what the club needed. He will always be welcomed back.

John Gregory was generally well-liked by the fans, but was technically limited and at times tactically naive. He also, it has to be said, spent a lot of money of some poor players. But I think everyone knew that he loved the club and always acted with the best of intentions towards Villa. He only left because of his deteriorating relationship with Doug Ellis.

Brian Little was never abused. With the way performances were going, I think many were worried that things could turn sour at some point but there was - and still is - huge affection for him. Unfortunately, when the pressure of results and working for Ellis combined, he gave the impression of not being able to handle the pressure and walked.

Villa fans are no different from any other club's in this regard. But saddle us with a man that demonstrates no visible understanding or appreciation for the size, history and expectations of the club and patience will run out fast when performances on the pitch are so pitiful.

I never said the reason any of them left was because of the fans but ALL of them received abuse. Little was rounded upon at Ewood in his final weeks with the very same chant from Saturday, during a 5-0 thrashing that comepleted and agg 9-0 defeat to them that season.

All I am saying is that we as fans are far worse than the majority of other fans around the country and we have a reputation for it too. And that in the 'future AV manager' thread it is a point to be made.

All I am saying is that we as fans are far worse than the majority of other fans around the country and we have a reputation for it too.

Which fans do you think are different to us?

All I am saying is that we as fans are far worse than the majority of other fans around the country and we have a reputation for it too.

Rather than ask a question by merely twisting the words, how about your opinion on it?

As for fans that are different to us to name a couple of locals - Blues, Wolves and Boggies have all been below us this season and facing the same relegation battle we're in, but I don't see them flooding national radio programmes with vitriol.

Other fans are as bad when things are going wrong - Spuds - being the obvious target as if anything they are the worst and most fickle bunch out there.

Its worth noting that the Wolves fans sang McCarthy's name happily enough and they're below us.

Levels of expectation I suppose.

DOL - abused.

Gregory - abused.

Little - abused.

GT(mk2) - abused.

I never said the reason any of them left was because of the fans but ALL of them received abuse. Little was rounded upon at Ewood in his final weeks with the very same chant from Saturday, during a 5-0 thrashing that comepleted and agg 9-0 defeat to them that season.

All I am saying is that we as fans are far worse than the majority of other fans around the country and we have a reputation for it too. And that in the 'future AV manager' thread it is a point to be made.

I appreciate what you're saying but I disagree; the club will almost remain an attractive proposition for managers and the fans are not regarded any worse or differently than those of other clubs.

And I maintain that those previous managers did not receive anything that could be construed as out and out abuse. Criticism, yes, but that's very different from the kind of abuse GH is getting at present. Even during that 5-0 defeat to Blackburn (and I remember that well - one of the most truly awful afternoons I've endured as a Villa fan), the fans' vitriol was reserved almost entirely for Savo Milosevic rather than Brian Little.

Ive never known a set of fans keep a team up. It really is down to the players and manager.

It's down to them yes but home advantage does exist. That's why most points are won at home in a season. But a team can also become afraid to play at home if they know they're in for a hiding from the fans. We at least need to let them know we're on their side. Do our bit as it were.