Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with this summer crap, let's bloody stay up first!

Completely.

Lots of people talking about renewing tickets, new managers, contracts and players as if our place in the premiership for next season is guaranteed. Far from it.

I agree with your general sentiments but I don't think people are suggesting him as a long term manager, just as an 8 game kick up the arse. As you state one of his main attributes was the dogged, defensive, bust a gut tactics. Those are the sort of tactics we need now in order to dig us out of the shit we are in. Scrape a couple of 1-0 wins and a couple of draws and we will probably be safe.

As we've seen though, bringing in a manager who has been out of the loop or so long can have disastrous consequences (the exception to the rule seems to be Dalglish).

JG hasn't managed in the top flight since he took Derby down in 2002 - so he even predates GH who departed Liverpool in 2004. Also, he wasn't particularly hot even at his peak (unlike GH) so I'm not sure I'd want to chance him being even worse.

Player power was rampant back when GH and JG were enjoying their most productive years in management - but it's got even worse now. A manager out of the loop wouldn't necessarily know that. A manager still (or very recently) involved would. The game has also got a fair bit quicker, as GH mentioned back in Oct/ Nov.

Managers -like players- have a shelf life. The best, like Fergiesum, will always find a way of staying current and keeping abreast of things. But for others, they have their brief window in time when their ideas of approach have relevance and that's it.

I loved the BFR years, as I did the Brian Little era. But I wouldn't want either of those back managing the club. Or even Ron Saunders for that matter.

Who cares about "looking" interested? I just want us to stay up. I couldn't care less if [insert manager here] slept on in the dugout, as long as we stay up that's all that matters at the moment.

Talk sense. If the manager does not look interested what message does that portray to the players?

It is a basic rule of motivational skills for crying out loud.

Who cares about "looking" interested? I just want us to stay up. I couldn't care less if [insert manager here] slept on in the dugout, as long as we stay up that's all that matters at the moment.

Talk sense. If the manager does not look interested what message does that portray to the players?

It is a basic rule of motivational skills for crying out loud.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult me when you disagree with me. Why can't just disagree with people without insulting them?

Anyway, at the moment all I care about is staying up. If the manager (any manager) doesn't look bothered I'm not too bothered about that if we're winning and looking likely to survive.

Talk sense is insulting? It was a ridiculous comment to make, considering the team is in a relegation battle and you were asking who cares about looking interested. Maybe you should not take things so quickly to heart?

Think if Coyle were to leave Bolton now he would make a name for himself as a manager who abandons his team at every opportunity. Plus he has an affinity with Bolton which probably outweighs our "superiority" in the big club stakes.

Though he would be my number one choice, I dont have any faith in Lerner to sack Houllier.

I think an offer of around £5M would allow us to talk to Owen Coyle

Gartside would drive him to VP himself and let him use his pen to sign on the dotted line for 5 mill.

Spurs as much as I dislike them came the conclusion they'd **** up with Ramos, paid Pompey 5 mill for Harry and the rest as they say is history.

if we went down... :(

Laursen would be a good choice maybe??? Young... a villa legend in my eyes certainly... would command the respect of fellow pros... won Serie A titles and UCL at milan?

couldn't really hurt?

Houghton wouldnt be bad... he has an eye for a bargain... Tiote, Ben Arfa

Jol... would he come? REALLY?

Coyle hasn't done enough in the game as a manager to make me think he'd be a good long term option for us.

Gregory was mentioned earlier and he strikes me as being in a similar phase as JG's early stint with us. It's all looking great at the moment but it's way to early to call.

Plus, as bad as we've been this season, we should probably have hammered his side 8-3 at their place.

Not convinced.

Take Iain Dowie for example. He'd look more interested but would he get us out of this mess?

Dowie might have now found his level, but rememer he delivered miracles at Oldham, and Crystal Palace. Arguably he didnt have long enough at Charlton, and from the point with West Ham, and Newcastle/Coventry his personal stock has fallen so players dont/wont belive in him anymore. If you signed the Crystal Palace Dowie, Id guarantee we'd have stayed up.

But its why I maintain MON walked, as with no funds, and the logical slippage down the table, players would lose faith in the "myth" of his excellence, and might not exceed themselves.

Thats why he walked. It might be inconvenient, but was caused by Lerner, not MON, and MON isn "a fan" but a manager with a reputation to protect, for his future ambitions. If MON began to fail, he's not get a crack at another top club. Now, he might.

The results have been poor. Weekend headaches. But this has been MOS'n squad and he had his way of doing things. Houllier has been some sort of "culture shock". And it takes time to change things. And you can't deny, we have had some "problems" this season and it has not all been Houllier related. GH hasn't had many injury free weeks. And trouble players haven't helped the situation.

Today's performance was poor (I believe because I was watching bad quality streams) and it was a must win game, so I understand the frustration and I feel the same but I really think this is the time when the club, the manager and the players need the support from the fans, all fans.

I still have faith in Houllier. If I'm mad? We know the answer sometime in May.

I agree with you mate,your not mad..You obviously see the bigger picture like I do.