Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I think Costa deserves more credit than Baker deserves blame tbh.

Really? It was a great run but Baker was marking fresh air. You can't be stood around ball watching when one of the most in form strikers in the world is standing in space 5 yards away from you. Maybe one of the midfielders should have dropped back in to help though as well.

Am I the only one genuinely concerned about baker's health? He literally gets a head injury every game, surely that's going to shorten his career and have knock on effects

It probably will. 

The dangers of concussions and 'post-concussion syndrome' are now well know, he's taking far to many head injuries for my liking. 

Nathan Bang-on-the-head.

Baker held his position on the front post, a good position.Costa made a good run across him, a good run, from a good player.You can criticize Baker if you want to, but i think sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say well done.

Absolutely, it was a great run but standing near the front post is only a good position when all players within your radius are marked up. Fresh air has never scored a goal as far as i'm aware.

I'm also not having a dig at Baker. I think he played reasonably well but I'd expect better from a Premier League defender on that goal.

No one knows bakers instructions, Zonal or man to man marking?

It may be the case at set pieces that he is told to mark space/fresh air, which I personally don't favor, but if he is being told to mark fresh air in open play then that would just be madness.

Overall today I thought Baker did okay. The lad is as brave as a lion and never gives less than 100%.

• Like 2

It may be the case at set pieces that he is told to mark space/fresh air, which I personally don't favor, but if he is being told to mark fresh air in open play then that would just be madness.

Overall today I thought Baker did okay. The lad is as brave as a lion and never gives less than 100%.

Never seen anyone suggest zonal marking is being used in open play before, that is a new one.

• Like 1

Never seen anyone suggest zonal marking is being used in open play before, that is a new one.

Lambert shouldn't be surprising anybody 3 years in pal.

Lambert shouldn't be surprising anybody 3 years in pal.

Oh behave yourself.

You mark space to minimize danger, that is what Baker was doing.His positioning wasn't bad, but Costas movement was very good.Full stop.No blame to Baker, much to the displeasure of some on here.

I thought Weimann and Richardson were very poor today, and the midfield 3 need to be better on the ball, and better in possession.They we're more to blame today than Baker.

You mark space to minimize danger, that is what Baker was doing.His positioning wasn't bad, but Costas movement was very good.Full stop.No blame to Baker, much to the displeasure of some on here.

I thought Weimann and Richardson were very poor today, and the midfield 3 need to be better on the ball, and better in possession.They we're more to blame today than Baker.

Minimise danger from what? The empty space?

You cannot choose to mark empty space when the striker is 5 yards away from you. Space does not score goals.

Its not zonal marking, its shape.You have a shape to defend certain situations, man at the front post, man in the middle, fb covering the back post.Nothing that Baker did was partic bad, in comparison watch Clark last week for the 2nd goal.

But Clark was marking the space, just a different space to the one occupied by the player. :)

Its not zonal marking, its shape.You have a shape to defend certain situations, man at the front post, man in the middle, fb covering the back post.Nothing that Baker did was partic bad, in comparison watch Clark last week for the 2nd goal.

Ok, well we will have to agree to disagree. 

I'm still of the opinion that given the choice between marking a player and standing in empty space there is only one option that a defender should choose in open play.

Â