• A Young
    • Makoun
    • Reo-Coker
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Petrov (for Makoun 57)
    • Albrighton (for Agbonlahor 77)
    • Herd (for A Young 88)

So the morning after, I'd say the fans were great, but that idiot with the drum?? Constantly banging it but none of his fans were chanting anything, you know what i did not hear one song from them all game. They look a team going down. Ash and Bent seem to be building a great understanding. But as many have said we got the flanks very wrong, Downing should not be on the right side, he broke down the right, instead of crossing it with his right, he cut back and tried to cross it but it went straight to Al Habsi. As for Gabby on the left, are you kidding me? Makoun looked very tidy and once up to speed you can tell the boy is going to be quality, just hope he's not too lightweight, but at one stage a Wigan player tried a WWE move instead of a tackle.

So the morning after, I'd say the fans were great, but that idiot with the drum?? Constantly banging it but none of his fans were chanting anything, you know what i did not hear one song from them all game. They look a team going down. Ash and Bent seem to be building a great understanding. But as many have said we got the flanks very wrong, Downing should not be on the right side, he broke down the right, instead of crossing it with his right, he cut back and tried to cross it but it went straight to Al Habsi. As for Gabby on the left, are you kidding me? Makoun looked very tidy and once up to speed you can tell the boy is going to be quality, just hope he's not too lightweight, but at one stage a Wigan player tried a WWE move instead of a tackle.

Yeah, people were saying Makoun is a big bruiser, but hes not, is he? He's slight of frame, just like the rest of the MF....we still need a midfield boss

Friedel - 7.5 - Had a good game and made a decent save.

Cuellar - 7.5 - Looks a really decent palyer. I hope he stays as he's a great squad player.

Dunne - 7.5 - Looks back to near his best

Collins 8.5 - MOTM - a bargain at the price we paid for him.

Baker 7 - I thought he did okay. I'd sooner see him play than that word removed warnock.

Makoun - 7 - He looked good but not quite up to the pace of the Premier league just yet.

NRC - 6.5 - Did the usual NRC performance, tackled well, full of energy, woeful passing.

Downing - 7 - PLayed okay, should be playing on the left and should have pulled that ball back for Bent instead of shooting.

Gabby - 7.5 - Need s to have the confidence to run at his man more often. Nice to see him score.

Young - 8 - Work rate was fantastic, poor peno though if the keeper went the right way it was an easy save.

Bent - 7 - His touch was poor but his work rate was good and its nice to havea forward willing to make runs unlike Carew...

Petrov - 7 Came on at the right time and played well. Lovely to have a player like him to come off the bench.

Albrighton - 6

Herd - N/A

but that idiot with the drum??

That bloke with the drum is annoying to say the least. I'm sure it was last seasons trip up there that had a big artical about him in their program. I suppose he's the most exciting thing happening at the DW stadium for wigan fans.

i thought for the defence tactics were good again, didnt think n'zogbia did much all night, altough at times carlos came too far over leaving the right hand side exposed, tactics up front were poor, downing and gabby 1st half in particularIMO had a bit of a mare not going to slate them as it blatantly doesnt look right, as for downings outside of the boot neither a cross or a shot when in a great position, i think at the height of his confidence he'd have put his laces through that into the bottom corner

overall hard to give anyone less than a 7, wigan were pretty shit and us fans probably got the ole out too early, but overall again the travelling support was very good too, apart from the worlds miserablest word removed who managed to get a seat behind me, criticised every song we chanted, every touch gabby, downing and carlos had and left unhappy that we hadnt scored 4, **** clown

Had it set to record and just watched it. 3 points away from home are never easy, and these 3 were crucial. HUGE win no matter how you slice it. Very pleased, I think the team have a look of renewed confidence, and I expect even better things the rest of the way.

UTV!

This is pretty how I see it too. At this point, we need to win more than anything else, no matter how it looks like. We won.

Young motm for me. I don't think anyone had a really bad game, but Gabby ain't a left winger and Downing is best on the left side.

Baker had a solid debut, IMO.

Big 3 points for us, but the performance wasn't the greatest.

We're all on here critising Downing and he wasn't great last night but why is he being played on the right and Aggy on the left - Its no coincidence that their form has dipped.

Can some one give me a logical footballing argument for persisting with this.

All you ever hear the pro's talk about is how important it is to have a balanced side yet we continue to contradict that.

Its so frustrating

but that idiot with the drum??

That bloke with the drum is annoying to say the least. I'm sure it was last seasons trip up there that had a big artical about him in their program. I suppose he's the most exciting thing happening at the DW stadium for wigan fans.

Yeah, my Mrs was going mad about that drum. I found the chants of `stick your drum up your arse' and `wheres your drumming now' were good..

Huge 3 points. Defence looking much more composed now. Ash was everywhere last night and MOTM for me.

Makoun looks to me like he will be a very good player. Neat and tidy, always looking for a quick pass. Once he is up to speed I think he will be huge for us. Him and NRC in midfield would be a fine pairing. All that was missing last night was the final ball.

DRUMS. NO. JUST PLAIN NO.

Great 3 points. Long may this run continue

Rather annoying that we have United next. Ofcourse every game is winnable, but a couple more games against sides outside of the top 5 and we could really have been looking to put some wins together.

Yeh but Shilz, lose against United the following games are very much winnable and the only team i'd actually fear are Arsenal away.

Definitely.

It's just a shame we cant go straight into that run of games.

Man Utd away will obviously be a backs to the wall effort, any kind of point scoring result would be massive.

a few thoughts:

someone pointed out that our attacking players were missing so many passes. While this is true, I think they are trying to figure out how to play with Bent. His runs are great, and I think Downing, Ash, Gabby were a bit surprised at times and held the ball just a moment too long, or found themselves in space created by those runs and took a second to take advantage (except Ash, who is looking great with Bent and the space created).

Makoun looked so small! But his first touch and quick passing (he clearly knows exactly what he is going to do before he receives the ball) are excellent. While most of the time he seemed to be playing very conservatively, or not to make a mistake (he may have been told to do so), he definitely picked some spots to get forward and was effective doing it. When he gets a bit settled and the shackles are taken off I think he's going to be excellent.

Cuellar, while not the prettiest attacking player, sure is excellent defensively no matter where you put him. I think he was the right choice tonight with Baker at left back. I thought it was clear that Dunne/Collins/Cuellar were told to help him out and they all shifted left to support him many times.

Bent is dangerous, and creates space, pushes the defenders back, and makes every possession dangerous because he can get on the end of the long balls. It won't be long until he is scoring regularly as I feel like there were 10 chances last night where we were just a foot off from a great chance.

So happy, bring on Man U.

We're all on here critising Downing and he wasn't great last night but why is he being played on the right and Aggy on the left - Its no coincidence that their form has dipped.

Can some one give me a logical footballing argument for persisting with this.

Lots of managers do this now. Mancini with Milner and Johnson and Capello with the same.

The logic is two fold I believe:

1. Makes you narrower and therefore harder to break down.

2. Means that the full back is probably on the wrong foot when the wide player comes inside.

BUT like you, I don't agree with it. I think we should be solid enough with the central three and DJ looks much more of a threat when he is driving in from the left (as we saw last night when Albie came on).

I would like to see a lot more fluidity where the three of them - Gab, Ash and DJ - are constantly swapping positions and making it more difficult to be picked up, particularly with the stronger defensive shield with NRC and Makoun/Stan behind them.

Â