• A Young
    • Makoun
    • Reo-Coker
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Petrov (for Makoun 57)
    • Albrighton (for Agbonlahor 77)
    • Herd (for A Young 88)

Didn't like the look of the last 20 mins, almost like we took the foot off the pedal, started to pass the ball around casually, lost a bit of intensity and perhaps thought we'd already won?

However the first 70 was very good imo, and everyone contributed. Baker had a good debut against N'Zogbia, Downing was very energic, Bent worked hard, Ash good again (finally getting back to the player we know he is), Makoun looked very tidy, excellent touches, can't remember a single mistake except for a silly yellow.

But I have to give MOTM to Reo-Coker who I thought was immense for 75 mins until he, like the rest of the team, lost his way a bit.

Big, big win though, so important to get that when we have Man.Utd coming up.

Message for Ian Holloway: We're not 7 points behind you anymore. Can we have Adam now?

:flag:

great win always difficult at wigan esp as houllier had makoun and baker playing and a very trial and error formation (well players playing in random spaces). lets go to OT and finish off what we threatened to do at villa park for the first 80 mins!

Yeah, Downing didn't do much of note but only because nothing quite came off for him from what I saw. If he'd dug his feet out properly for his outside of the foot cross in the second half he'd probably have set up one of our goals of the season for Bent

Thought Mkoun looked distinctly average to me. I thought he was to have this great engine - seemed to be walking half the time tonight. lots of 4 yard passes most seemed to go sideways.

MOTM Ashley Young - quite easily - looked like what he is - a class player - hope for a miracle and he stays.

Still think we build up to slowly - which wastes the paces of Gabby and Bent.

2 wins on the trott which gives us some breathing space.

we were dominant for most of the second half, passed it around well which was very good. i didnt like how nervy we went when they got their flukey goal. we were dominating by passing the ball, so why the sudden reverting to hoofball? especially as we had petrov and nrc in CM, 2 experienced players. they should know better.

if downing could pass or cross a ball properly bent would have had a couple of tap ins. just watching him in the box and how he manages to get into space away from defenders is exciting. downing overall i thought was poor. he gets a lot of the ball, but keeps choosing the wrong options all the time. hes not taking on people like he should be. hes not tracking back all the time and hes going into tackles half hearted. there was one occasion in the last 10 minutes when nzogbia moved inside past baker, and ran right past downing who just stood there watching him.he only just missed with the shot.

makoun showed some very nice touches. pleased gabby got a goal. he looked way better after that. funny what a single goal can do for confidence.

only 3 points off 7th now!

well if gabby is eithe rplayed upfront or on the right, he will be fine, put him on the left and he is shit.

this is hands down, downings worst game this season, bottled EVERYTHING gave it away, poor decision making poor **** everything.

put us under pressure countless times through stopping an attack and passing it back to a defender under pressure.

stop **** thinking about your **** opta stats for completed passes you fanny fart, you have been doing this for the last 8 weeks or more.

NRC was what we hoped Makoun would be oddly enough, until around the 70 to 75th minute when i guess having had to cover for chicken shit downing as well as do his own stuff AND try and protect makoun, he got **** knackered.

for me cuellar was man of the match, bearing in mind the cock he had to also cover he was a beast tonight.

bent for me should have scored early on, i was almost more suprised he didnt put it away, same with the second effort although downing did try his best to **** it completely up for him.

i thought ashley young was great tonight for his energy, but please to **** god, he is not a second striker, he put in countless challenges in their half to stop them having easy posession but he should be delivering it in to bent rather than running around putting in tackles.

baker was ok, nothing great but his confidence grew at 2-0 until that **** downing kept putting our defence under pressure then like the rest of the team bar bent, they started bottling it.

despite only playing with 10 we were very comfortable and 2-0 up despite downing.

i am guessing either he deliberately played the worst he has played in a good 12 months as a protest to playing on the wrong side or he is looking to get dropped.

petrov steadied the ship but again he was played into trouble by the every shit tonight downing.

makoun did some decent stuff but the game passed him by, im glad he started and also that he came off when he did, he was looking a little lost in the end. he did some nice things though so showed promise, didnt see ay salmon like leaps from him, more tinned tuna but i guess with confidence in the team he will get better.

first 70 or so minutes everyone acept downing gets an 8

last 15 minutes bent was our best player holding it up to relieve the pressure.

dunne and collins were not bad but were not as good as the other day.

albrighton looked short of pace for the 8 minutes he came on or what ever it was.

GH, well we won so technically he gets a 10

however please **** please do NOT play downing on the right any more, he is NOT any good on the right, if he were he would have played some part of the last 20 years as a player on the right, he hasnt.

and gabby on the left?

in the summer time when the pitch is firm and grassy he can use his pace and have time to turn, in the winter time he has less time to turn and the going is not as firm under foot.

if he plays he needs to be up front with bent or if not i dont think he should start i prefer albrighton on the right.

on the left it again is easy for me, either downing or young and drop the other to the bench

downing has been one of ourt best players up till around 8 games ago when he obviously thought he would try and get the highest percentage of successful passes no matter what, and passes the ball back at every opportunity no matter how good a position we are in when going forward, he would rather pass it back than whip it into the box.

that is very wrong and needs **** sorting.

well done though for the win ( im still pissed off at how downing was SO shit tonight)

Sorry, utter rubbish.

just asking, did you actually watch the game?

i read yor description and you make it sound like he played well, so from that i can only presume you di not in fact watch the game.

he was shit, it isnt up for discussion

Thought Mkoun looked distinctly average to me. I thought he was to have this great engine - seemed to be walking half the time tonight. lots of 4 yard passes most seemed to go sideways.

MOTM Ashley Young - quite easily - looked like what he is - a class player - hope for a miracle and he stays.

Still think we build up to slowly - which wastes the paces of Gabby and Bent.

2 wins on the trott which gives us some breathing space.

Sorry don't agree on Makoun... I thought he looked very tidy... very quick and decisive with his passing...doesnt need to run all over the place because he does what he does efficiently. It was his debut for god sake..... give him a chance! Bent made some great runs and would have been dissappointed alot of them weren't picked up. We should have been at least 3 up by half time. We had some very flowing moves at times.

Downing was shat going forward he looked intimidated and those orange boots just look daft on him. Ash again was on fire but did make the mistake leading to the goal with that dodgy flick. Cueller MON was immense again looks more comfortable on the ball these days too I can remember when he first came it was like he had never played football before.

Just watching the highlights, Bent has already made 3 superb runs that none of our other strikers would even think of making.

Yep - Would love it if Stephen Ireland got his act together and created a partnership with Bent like he had with Robinho a few seasons back.

Â