415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the point in booing him and piling on the pressure when I thought there was a chance of getting him to walk or getting Randy to off him. That doesn't feel the case any more though. I wouldn't chant his name, but I wouldn't chant against him either.

Yep, i think Randy is (rightly so IMO) backing the manager and is prepared to just settle for safety this season with a view to building for next season.

In fairness, that line-up yesterday was the only choice with Young and Heskey missing, and I suspect Gabby was picked not on form because he can't hit a barn door at the moment, but because he is a senior player now with a good record against the blues and understands what the derby is all about. It was about 11 players with as much experience as we could muster to go into a battle.

It didnt really strike me as though playing Gabby on the left (Downing?), he was popping up all over the place, his first missed shot was him drifting in from the left, but he also popped up all over the pitch. Houllier wants to play a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 like the majority of teams finding success at the moment, and Gabby was in the hole with JC the target man?

I do feel the GH knockers are grabbing at anything - for me Gabby and Carew were lucky to start and if we had alternatives they wouldn't have played. If all our forwards were earning their money this season we wouldn't be where we are now and I would go as far as to say that our predicament is more their fault than the manager - they were doing a good job at losing and letting in goals for KM before GH arrived.

How can anyone watch the game last night and think Gabby played in the hole?

He kind of did for a period towards the end of the game, but I'd argue it wasnt playing in the hole; more uptop alongside Delfouneso.

He kind of did for a period towards the end of the game, but I'd argue it wasnt playing in the hole; more uptop alongside Delfouneso.

Yeah he was moved when we did the subs (to play up top, not in the hole), I was just talking of this:

It didnt really strike me as though playing Gabby on the left (Downing?), he was popping up all over the place, his first missed shot was him drifting in from the left, but he also popped up all over the pitch. Houllier wants to play a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 like the majority of teams finding success at the moment, and Gabby was in the hole with JC the target man?

I think playing Gabby on the left wing is a sackable offence in itself. You have to wonder what Houllier is thinking sometimes.

I support Houllier, but to be honest that really is a baffling decision...makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I thought the most common sensical thing to do would be to play the players in there natural positions!

reminds me of when he was at Liverpool and he played Heskey on the wing a lot but Heskey responded by getting his highest goals total ever

I'm not a fan of Houllier because I've seen little to make me approve of him. He's largely been a disaster.

It would take a miracle to make me become a fan of him, as I just dislike Houllier. I don't like an awful lot about him, I don't like an awful lot of what he's done here (by which I mean asides from having a team he's responsible for the success of plummet in quality it seems), for example the Liverpool debacle, the Ireland hilarity, etc etc.

For me to approve of him, however, I'd quite like to see us actually start to be good again. I'd like to see us be consistantly as good as we can be. If he can manage to make us do that, I might not want to see him leave very quickly.

Until that happens, I'll just be deeply critical of him. Pointlessly deeply critical of him because we're as likely to sack him as we are to discover he can fly, but I'd rather be vocally critical rather than have silence taken as an approval.

This and your other posts following this on Houllier are exactly where I am on the subject.

He has to do a lot to change the opinion and for me a point at sha is not a lot.

This and your other posts following this on Houllier are exactly where I am on the subject.

He has to do a lot to change the opinion and for me a point at sha is not a lot.

but its a start ;).

Houllier is right though in that a few weeks ago we would never have equalised and just lost meekly

I suspect Gabby was picked not on form because he can't hit a barn door at the moment

But he's not being played up front. If he was playing as a out an out striker and was getting chances and missing them then crictising him would be fair but at the moment he's the only decent available striker we have and Houllier is playing him on the wing??? :huh:

He certainly wasn't playing on the wing - just because he pops up wide doesnt make him a winger.

Theres not much of an issue here is there? The sooner GH gets a decent striker the better that will settle this, and I'll nail my colours to the mast: I not a big fan of Gabby - great in the squad but should should aspire to better to move us forward, for me he hasn't kicked on from beginning to blossom two seasons ago.

He certainly wasn't playing on the wing - just because he pops up wide doesnt make him a winger.

You must be the only person in the world who thinks he wasn't playing on the wing last night (first 70 mins). Seriously I'm not just having a go here, it's absurd that you think he wasn't told to play on the wing last night.

Seems like Houllier is staying then? :winkold:

Wonder if any of this would've happened if we'd lost to SHA on Sunday?

Given that a bid for Bent went in last week then it seems it would.

Fair play to Houllier his ventures in to the market have been excellent so far. Long may it continue and provided results pick up, which is obviously essential, then we'll all be happy.

Â