Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

I don't think it's a success at all but it'll do right now.

I mean long term, he'll prove to be a success. Just needs to get his own players in.

I feel there's a lot of senior players, who should know better, that are giving him a hard time at the moment. Negative influence on the club.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's a success at all but it'll do right now.

I mean long term, he'll prove to be a success. Just needs to get his own players in.

I feel there's a lot of senior players, who should know better, that are giving him a hard time at the moment. Negative influence on the club.

Totally agree

Oh. I don't know, I thought he could be, a part of me wants to believe he still could be but I don't know. He does know how to win football matches though and has done his whole career in management so there is still some hope, we'll see in the future.

For sure.

I'm kind of lost what to think, I dont know how much of me just wants him to be a success (becuase anyone whos a success at the villa makes the villa successful in my book) and how much of me actually believes he could be a success.

It's a mixed emotion thats easily confused.

If he stays, and let's hope he doesn't, what will be expected from him next season. Has a terrible season so far and lack of investment lowered expectations so people will be happy with a top half finish? Or after a summer and pre season should houllier be expected to get us back in the top 4 fight?

I think our biggest problem is the board neither sacking him or backing him.

And when i say back him, I mean in the transfer window and to the hilt.

Still 22 days to go. We don't know if he is going to be backed significantly. The last thing we should want is for Randy to come out and talk about how much money is available as it would push prices up for us.

Seeing as this threads still looking a little gloomy I'd just like to throw a quick positive. I'm glad he's not messing around regarding getting new players in, we've got 1 in and already confirmed official interest in another 2. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but it's nice to know who we're actually interested in. With MON he denied or avoided every single player we got linked with AFAIK. I know the players might not be up to scratch or who we particularly want but remember our current position. If we can build on that I'm sure Houllier would attract better quality in the summer and thereafter.

I believe in taking one game at a time and viewing it for what it is. The Chelsea game, good point but we were winning and they are truly shit at the current time. Lose at home to Sunderland because even a blind man can see we are toothless up front. Win at a struggling Championship side in the cup, positive to have avoided a banana skin but, expected. Lose at Birmingham next week and I doubt this message board will be too forgiving. To date, It Gerard Houllier's biggest game as Villa boss. They will be up for it, Villa will be as nervous as hell, without Heskey and Young too. The players need to step forward but what concerns me is that some of the dissenters won't give a shit about the rivalry and we won't see the effort required.

If he stays, and let's hope he doesn't, what will be expected from him next season. Has a terrible season so far and lack of investment lowered expectations so people will be happy with a top half finish? Or after a summer and pre season should houllier be expected to get us back in the top 4 fight?

Depends a lot on teams around us and how they strengthen because there is new competition up there (such as spurs) but I would expect at this point with teams staying like they are to be a 6+ finish. At this point in time we should only need to worry about manu/mancity/arsenal/spuds, the rest are there for the taking.

Having had a full preaseason and time to fix issues, providing he gets the financial backing, I would expect enough managerial nouse to get us 5/6th. My expectations havnt lowered, they took a massive setback (in terms of time scales) when Mon dumped us.

I'd expect the same as I did under O'Neill, definite top 8, hopefully top 6. I didn't think there were many better managers than O'Neill we could of hoped for, he always achieved probably more than expected but that's where I think our 'level' is.

I have to say I'm not too worried about what he does next season as I have big doubts that results will pick up sufficiently enough for him to still be here then.

Its pretty simple what needs to happen under Houllier. He needs to string some results together and get us out of the shit he as gotten us in to. He does that then the majority of supporters will back him. If we continue on this terrible run of form of the last 2-3 months then it is inevitable he will get sacked. I'm sure he knows that and accepts it.

Next weeks game is absolutely huge and can't be down played. Regardless of it being a derby it is against a relegation rival and one that we can't afford to lose and given our terrible league form and the fact we are playing catch up one we really need to win especially when you consider Man City and Man Utd are just around the corner. We lose against Sha god help us. Houllier may also be looking for divine intervention.

For me, although we really could do with a win, as long as we don't lose, it's okay. Yes we have City and United coming up but we also have Fulham at home, Wigan away, Blackpool away, 3 of the next 6 games (including SHA)...probviding we don't lose next week, I'd be surprised if we aren't out the relegation zone looking at the fixture list.

If we were going in to the Wigan/Blackpool/Fulham games in anything like half decent form I'd expect 5 or 6 points from those games given that two are away. It is likely though that we will go in to them games in the bottom three in very poor form with huge pressure on us. As things stand today if I had to predict results from our next 6 games I'd go:

Sha A - Draw ( although possibly letting heart rule head )

Man City H - Lose

Wigan A - Draw

Man Utd A - Lose

Fulham H - Win

Blackpool A - Draw

So thats 6 points from our next 6 games and I feel I have been slightly optimistic expecting a draw next week but I'm struggling to accept we can lose to that shite again.

I think lose next week and against Man City I fail to see how he could keep his job. For that reason alone next week is a massive game for Houllier.

I don't think you'll be far wrong although I think we will beat Blackpool, they are quite poor at home and our pace and quality on the break will just about see us through. Yeah I agree, if he doesn't get a single point vs Blues and Man City, I'm just not sure how he will still be in the job. To be honest, I keep running through our fixtures and for me, it just makes me feel 'safer'. Like if your predictions are correct which aren't exactly optimistic, fairly realistic...we'd have 27 points from 27 games....with then the likes of Blackburn, Stoke, Newcastle, Wigan, Wolves at home and Bolton, West Brom, West Ham all away...in which we'd need probably 10-11 points from. (as well as picking up probably a 1/2 points from City, United, Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal games)

I feel confident, I need to do so. Unless Houllier does something very good towards the end of the season then I think even if we do stay up, he should go.

Heart - we'll beat blues when Bannan hit's an amazing through ball to Clark who puts a screamer in the top corner in extra time

Head - we can't score... we allow silly goals.

My honest opinion... how we do next weekend depends on what personnel GH and Randy can add this week.

Seeing as this threads still looking a little gloomy I'd just like to throw a quick positive. I'm glad he's not messing around regarding getting new players in, we've got 1 in and already confirmed official interest in another 2. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but it's nice to know who we're actually interested in. With MON he denied or avoided every single player we got linked with AFAIK. I know the players might not be up to scratch or who we particularly want but remember our current position. If we can build on that I'm sure Houllier would attract better quality in the summer and thereafter.

The worst thing about the transfer windows and MON was staying up until midnight on the last day of the window only to be told by about 9pm from the guys in Sky Sports studios that all the lights at Aston Villa have been switched off.

If we were going in to the Wigan/Blackpool/Fulham games in anything like half decent form I'd expect 5 or 6 points from those games given that two are away. It is likely though that we will go in to them games in the bottom three in very poor form with huge pressure on us. As things stand today if I had to predict results from our next 6 games I'd go:

Sha A - Draw ( although possibly letting heart rule head )

Man City H - Lose

Wigan A - Draw

Man Utd A - Lose

Fulham H - Win

Blackpool A - Draw

So thats 6 points from our next 6 games and I feel I have been slightly optimistic expecting a draw next week but I'm struggling to accept we can lose to that shite again.

I think lose next week and against Man City I fail to see how he could keep his job. For that reason alone next week is a massive game for Houllier.

i think we'll get

Sha win

Man city Lose

Wigan - win

Man Utd - Lose

Fulham H - Win

Blackpool win

thats 12 points, well im more hoping really tbh..

Â