Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

Looking at the next 5 games I'll be very surprised if he's still here after that.

I don't care what Lerner says at the moment, the more games we lose, the louder the fans get and the more trouble we're in, he'll have no choice but to sack him.

Can't wait for him to **** off before the damage he causes is too bad

Folk were saying that before the Spurs game and he is still here.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the next 5 games I'll be very surprised if he's still here after that.

I think we'll win two, draw one and lose two. We may even manage a win at the sty. I don't think there'll be enough in that for Lerner and the board to change their stance.

The next two after that are Fulham and Blackpool and if we do well in those two games then he may even be a little safer by mid-February.

I'm not sure whether that will be a good thing or a bad thing in all honesty, but I do think we've just had the hardest run of fixtures we're going to have this season, we've now got the majority of our players back from injury and it looks like he'll be given the opportunity to sign a couple.

I see us improving to the point where we're just poor rather than disastrous - the reaction to that will I think be more interesting (and tell us more about our ambitions) than the reaction to where we are right now.

Ill say it again, just get rid of him - bring in Kevin since they wanted to play under him and just write this season off.

you can keep saying it but it doesnt makie it right. Didnt look like the players wanted to play under him against Stoke and Newcastle. Wouldnt improve us, would just make us a joke.

Look fact is, they got jeered off, a manager who is severly under pressure was trying to keep the morale up. This is another story to heap pressure onto the guy, the press would have loved it if the 4 managers under pressure got fired.

Look fact is, they got jeered off, a manager who is severly under pressure was trying to keep the morale up. This is another story to heap pressure onto the guy, the press would have loved it if the 4 managers under pressure got fired.

As would the fans. Houllier can't win at the moment but it seems that the two people at Villa that he needs to impress are still ok with his performance/potential so far. However, any comments about him staying post Sunderland have come from Houllier himself so anything could happen. Hodgson was confident in his position 2 games ago and his days look numbered now. Hopefully Faulkner will use the same company who advised him on Houllier to advise him that GH has thus far been terrible in every aspect of management for Villa.

Hopefully Faulkner will use the same company who advised him on Houllier to advise him that GH has thus far been terrible in every aspect of management for Villa.

And sue them for falsely representing him as a football manager!

I think we'll win two, draw one and lose two. We may even manage a win at the sty. I don't think there'll be enough in that for Lerner and the board to change their stance.

The next two after that are Fulham and Blackpool and if we do well in those two games then he may even be a little safer by mid-February.

I'm not sure whether that will be a good thing or a bad thing in all honesty, but I do think we've just had the hardest run of fixtures we're going to have this season, we've now got the majority of our players back from injury and it looks like he'll be given the opportunity to sign a couple.

I see us improving to the point where we're just poor rather than disastrous - the reaction to that will I think be more interesting (and tell us more about our ambitions) than the reaction to where we are right now.

You think we'll avoid the dreaded R word then Scott?

Time running out for Gérard Houllier as Aston Villa's fans grow restless

• Stilian Petrov urges manager to heal rift with John Carew

• Next two games will decide Frenchman's future

Stuart James

The Guardian, Friday 7 January 2011

Gérard Houllier is under mounting pressure after defeat by Sunderland. Photograph: Phil Noble/REUTERS

Gérard Houllier's position as Aston Villa manager is likely to become untenable if the club are knocked out of the FA Cup at Sheffield United and lose at Birmingham City on Sunday week. The Villa board have maintained Houllier's job is safe but, with supporters calling for the Frenchman to be sacked and discontent festering within the dressing room, Randy Lerner could be compelled to act if there is no immediate improvement in results.

Although the club's owner is desperate for Houllier to succeed after he appointed the 63-year-old as Martin O'Neill's replacement in September, the dismal run of form that has plunged the club into the relegation zone for the first time in seven years, together with the unrest that surfaced after Wednesday night's 1-0 home defeat by Sunderland, when Villa fans chanted "You're getting sacked in the morning", has placed Lerner in a difficult position.

Lerner has worked hard to rebuild bridges with fans disenchanted under the previous regime but the Villa owner risks damaging that relationship if he shows blind faith in Houllier. Sacking Houllier would be an admission that Villa made a mistake in appointing him in the first place but accepting that error – as Tottenham Hotspur did with Juande Ramos in 2008 – would be a small price to pay compared with the financial catastrophe of relegation to the Championship.

Villa made a record loss in their last set of accounts, which showed their wage bill had climbed to £71m – £11m higher than Tottenham's – and the figures for the 2009-10 season are expected to be every bit as bad. Life outside the Premier League would deepen the pain. There is a bonus system in place for the players if they qualify for the Champions League but there is no provision in contracts for salaries to be cut in the event of relegation.

The knee-jerk response to talk of Villa dropping into the Championship is that the club have far too many good players to go down. Yet that argument ignores the relegation form Villa have shown since Houllier took over – 14 points from 16 matches and only three league victories – and the growing disenchantment within a dressing room where the Frenchman's methods and approach to the job are a source of bemusement and frustration to many of the senior players.

Wednesday night was a case in point. Having produced a sub-standard performance against Sunderland, which culminated in Villa's sixth defeat in eight league matches, the players were amazed when Houllier elected to praise rather than scold them. It is understood that on another occasion the Villa manager said next to nothing when he came into the dressing room at half-time, effectively leaving the players to conduct the team-talk themselves.

Arguments with players have also been a feature of Houllier's reign, and Stilian Petrov, Villa's captain, placed the manager in an awkward position after the Sunderland game when he called on him to end his feud with John Carew. "I think the manager and [John] need to sort that out between themselves," Petrov said. "They are grown men and I think everything is about the club. If you want to have someone in the team you need to go and see what he can do. John has been a big figure here and we have missed him."

Sources close to Carew say it is unlikely he will play for Houllier again and that he has made up his mind he wants to leave Villa. The Norwegian fell out with Houllier at Lyon and before the Frenchman was appointed at Villa Carew ranked him bottom in a list of the seven managers he had played under. Houllier has at least managed to reintegrate Richard Dunne into his plans after a training ground row but Paul Faulkner, Villa's chief executive, is believed to have played a key part in their rapprochement.

Getting the Villa supporters back on side promises to be much more difficult. The reality is that the fans did not take to Houllier when he was unveiled and the combination of poor results and his bizarre behaviour at Anfield deepened their suspicion that he is not the right man for the job. It remains to be seen whether the FA Cup will provide some respite. "Where we are at the moment I will take staying in the Premier League," Petrov added. "I won't even care about the Cup. I am sorry to say that."

Clicky

Wouldn't mind Lambert, he looks like a promising manager... Houllier won't be sacked though, not at all. Not until its a bit too late anyway.

Good post OBE.

"Where we are at the moment I will take staying in the Premier League," Petrov added. "I won't even care about the Cup. I am sorry to say that."

Nice one Gerard. We went from not quite being able to cross the finish line to not being able to out of the blocks without being lapped. All in 6 months. Get out. Get out. Get out. Get out. Get out. Get out. Get out. Get out. Get out.

A debate between the press. Daily Mail vs the Birmingham Mail. This Twitter thing is awesome.

@Neil_Moxley_DM Twitter rows and intro advice! Much love Mox.

about 12 hours ago via web in reply to Neil_Moxley_DM

@Neil_Moxley_DM I thought about writing blog challenging your points. But truth lies somewhere in between your views and the polar opposites

@Neil_Moxley_DM pensioner, hoodies, sweets is all I say to you Mr Moxley

Not trying to totally absolve GH of blame, by the way. He's obviously made his faux pas #avfc.

about 12 hours ago via web

@Neil_Moxley_DM if I'd "deliberately set about sabotaging #avfc" I'd have quit as boss 5 days before season. http://tinyurl.com/39hs57q

about 12 hours ago via web

As I told Mox, if I'd "deliberately set about sabotaging #avfc" I would have quit as boss 5 days before season. http://tinyurl.com/39hs57q

about 13 hours ago via web

Neil Moxley in response to MatKendrick.

@MatKendrick And the intro to the piece was used to emphasise the situation, not flag it up as fact!

about 12 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to MatKendrick

@MatKendrick I agree Mat, spiteful exit of MO'N. (IMO) But all the points listed are nothing to do with MON. GH has made his own choices.

about 12 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to MatKendrick

Randy is a bloody fool for standing by this fella, the more i think of how far he has dragged us down the more i get pissed of. from **** 6th in the league to this. how can people try to defend this situation the man should have been gone after the Liverpool game, i wish Randy and Fuckner would wake up before its to late.

Agreed. It is why I think we will just about be okay.

Wigan, Fulham, Wolves, Stoke, Newcastle, Blackburn, Liverpool all at home left.

Blackpool, West Brom, Wigan, SHA, Bolton, West Ham all away.

Also Everton, Arsenal, City, United games (can't see us getting anything out of them)

I'd imagine we need 17-19 points ish to survive. I think we are capable of 4 wins, 6 draws, 7 losses.

To be honest, I think we'll do slightly better than that.

A debate between the press. Daily Mail vs the Birmingham Mail. This Twitter thing is awesome.

Just shows in my view that Matt kendrick is one of those who hasn't yet got over MON leaving & wants to focus (pointlessly) on that as the main reason for all our woes, while Neil Moxley is concentrating on the actions and impact of the manager in whose hands our fate now rests 100%.

BTW, wondered how much on the money MK is when I read this on his Twitter account - 8 hours ago (although you v=can't trust the crazy timings on the Twitter website)

#avfc First I've heard about Wayne Bridge to be honest, but his new WAG, Frankie from the Saturdays would be more than welcome at VP

Although someone will no doubt tell me this isn't really Matt Kendrick. :oops:

Yeah but we need to get those points. Can Houllier do that? I don't know.

None us 'know' but I'd go with yes.

Beat West Brom, Wolves, Blackpool from those teams.

Drew to SHA and Fulham.

Lost to Liverpool (although home/away record is something else..) and also Blackburn.

So our record against the poorer clubs this season is at least slightly respectable.

Compared to just 3 points from 9 games vs current top 6 so far.

Â