The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

43 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I actually think it's one of the more ugly products Apple has made in recent years. And the fact that's the first thing you tend to think with Apple stuff, their looks, says a fair bit I think. It's not particularly good looking in the marketplace generally either I think.

I'm not entirely sure why it's so expensive, beyond 'because they think they can charge that much'.

Also fantastic to see Apple keep to their habit of saying things are revolutionary years after the competition did it. Tap to wake! My nearly 4 year old OnePlus has done that for ages, and that wasn't the first either.

I said the same to my OH.

"You can unlock it with your face!" she said.

She was shocked when I told her you could do that on a Galaxy S5 (I think).

But that's Apple isn't it? They take things that already exist, call themselves revolutionary, and bring it to the masses. Like it or not they make that kind of thing popular.
Wireless charging, for example. I had that on my Nexus 5, 4 years ago. But expect places where you can wirelessly charge your phone to pop up basically everywhere now.

I agree with you though, I'm actually not sure it looks that nice. I'd have to see one in the flesh but going by my first impression, I wasn't wowed.

That being said, I think the current iPhone 7 is a lovely looking phone, and lovely to use. So I think I might be more interested in an 8 or 8 plus than the X.

Edited by Stevo985

What's the point of the 'entire front' being a screen, when you have to do this in games and full screen video?

The way the Iphone X front camera notch cuts into the screen, blocking parts of videos

I might look like an idiot when every phone in the world does this in the next couple of years, but I think it looks like shit. I'll take a 5mm black bar across the top rather than chopping out some of the content in full screen, thanks.

Also, am I the only person utterly underwhelmed by exciting 'new' ways to unlock your phone? Here's me just using a PIN like a peasant.

Edited by Davkaus

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I said the same to my OH.

"You can unlock it with your face!" she said.

She was shocked when I told her you could do that on a Galaxy S5 (I think

It probably could, I can do it on my Note 3, and that came out in 2013. Just another example of Samsung stealing Apple's ideas before they invented it. :P 

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What's the point of the 'entire front' being a screen, when you have to do this in games and full screen video?

The way the Iphone X front camera notch cuts into the screen, blocking parts of videos

I might look like an idiot when every phone in the world does this in the next couple of years, but I think it looks like shit. I'll take a 5mm black bar across the top rather than chopping out some of the content in full screen, thanks.

Also, am I the only person utterly underwhelmed by exciting 'new' ways to unlock your phone? Here's me just using a PIN like a peasant.

It looks **** stupid.

Also they're claiming it's bezelless. But it clearly isn't... Because it's got an incredibly ugly Fisher Price border all around it.

The Face ID is literally solving a problem that doesn't exist and calling it a feature.

I'd wager the face unlock thing will be incredibly irritating when it doesn't work properly (apparently it failed in the demo at the keynote?).

Anyway, I think I'm moving back to iPhone this year. I was planning to go for the X when it was revealed, but I highly doubt that I will now. 

On another Apple Note: I still think Apple Watches are the ugliest, stupidest things I've ever seen. They look wank.

• Like 1

I'm convinced the Apple Watch must be one of the most resold/traded in products, as a proportion of overall sales, ever. Loads of them sell but I swear I've only ever seen a dozen or so in the wild. 

And yes, they are universally **** ugly.

I'm sure loads of people buy them, slowly realise its useless, and moreover an ugly carbuncle on their wrist, and got rid.

I like Smart Watches. I don't own one, or think I need one, but I appreciate their uses, and some of the non-apple efforts are lovely.

But the Apple ones just look awful. They're way too thick, and they just look like a child's toy. Awful.

29 minutes ago, Warnock said:

Noticed the 8 is basically the 7 with a few small changes, but will hopefully mean the 7 will come down in price.

It's basically a 7S but apparently they called it an 8 to "keep up" with the Samsung numbers. 

And probably to make the jump to 10 sound less weird. 

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

So is the 9 never going to happen?

Doubt it.

Lots of stuff I've read have suggested that calling the 8 the "8" instead of the 7S is to catch up with Samsung's numbering.

And as the X is the "10" and is to celebrate the 10th anniversary, I'd assume they'll go to 11 next. Or X1. Or something weird.

Wireless charging is good if you aren't using your phone, otherwise a good old fashioned wire is better and you can carry on with whatever you were doing and charge at the same time.

Similar with the face recognition, Currently I can unlock my phone to the side of me at work and glance at something and that is that. With the face recognition I guess I've got to pick it up and line my face up with the camera. 4/10 WNU.

Â