The Smiths.

dont_do_it_doug.

The Smiths  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Smiths

• Yes
    • No

Ah the memories, Tower Ballroom in Edgebaston by the resovoir. The tour for the first album supported by the Red Guitars, one of those gigs you never forget. Also saw them at Liverpool Uni on the same tour (they were playing there the night of my interview for the course I did - how convenient!). Saw them quite a few times after that too but that performance in Brum remains as one of the best gigs in my memory.

Went a bit downhill after The Queen is Dead in terms of consistency but a great band nonetheless.

New Morrissey Album is also great which is a shame, why is it a shame? because I have it on good authority that if it had failed The Smiths were getting back together. What a double edged sword that is.

Safe to say I'm a fan

I play piano, so my favourite style of music is the Ben Folds feel - piano, bass, drums. Ever heard of Ben Folds? He does some pretty cool stuff IMO. Also listen to guys you may/many not have heard of: Keith Green (USA), Sons of Korah (Australia), don't mind a bit of Wierd Al... Just like stuff with lyrics that are either deep, meaningful or funny and some chords that do something a little different. Cool piano playing is a bonus.

You play any of your own music DDID?

one of the best bands of the 80s.

too many great songs to mention.

If anyone ever watches "Charmed", they nicked the them tune to that from The Smith's. But i won't digress onto that subject, as i'd be salivating all day :P

Guest RantinRob

If anyone ever watches "Charmed", they nicked the them tune to that from The Smith's. But i won't digress onto that subject, as i'd be salivating all day :P

I'd MUCH rather watch Alyssa Milano than Morrissey with half a tree hanging out his arse :wink:

They never realy broke the charts

I don’t think that they had any hit singles (a few top twenty hits at the most), but I am pretty sure all there albums were top five; and more than a couple made it to number one. Certainly Morrissey and Marr wouldn’t have had to pay so much to Rourke and joyce if they hadn’t sold more than a few...

How soon is now, and Please Please let me get what I want are my faves

Digressing again Rob, I'm more taken with Rose Magowan. Used to drool over Shannen D as well before they killed her off.

Holly Marie Combs doesn't really do it for me. Neither does Leo :oops: :wink:

I love the Smiths dearly, they meant a lot to me growing up and still do.

Just trying to think of my favourite smiths song - you've got your obvious classics like 'there is a light', but 'reel around the fountain' sticks in my head, as does 'i won't share you'. Classic band.

I think my favourite Smiths track is Ask. "Spending warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse, to a buck toothed girl in Luxembourg"

I really can't think of a band as consistently brilliant as The Smiths, or one who mean as much to me. Although at the time I was almost as big a fan of The Housemartins.

Martin I have always had a lot of time for your excellent musical taste; however I have to question your liking for the Housemartins. Sheep was ok, but then they got really annoying and contained a mad axeman, the future Fat boy slim (real name Quentin), A childrens illustrator of dubious taste and possibly worst of all a future member of the Beautiful South. Can that be forgiven?!! Im with Blandy on the SMiths, a top band, but certainly not the greatest; that would be A Certain Ratio or Durrutti Column!

Got into the Smiths about a year before they split up (remember being gutted tbh). Loved all their stuff and it's one of the reasons me and the wife got together (both big fans). Morrissey's solo stuff has been a bit hit and miss, loved 'Vauxhall and I' didn't rate 'your arsenal'. Went to see the man himself many moons ago at Wolverhampton Civic, had to que forever but well worth it :lol::lol::lol:

Martin I have always had a lot of time for your excellent musical taste; however I have to question your liking for the Housemartins. Sheep was ok, but then they got really annoying and contained a mad axeman, the future Fat boy slim (real name Quentin), A childrens illustrator of dubious taste and possibly worst of all a future member of the Beautiful South.

Spot on with the Housemartins assasination (mind you the drummer was off his rocker - why is that always the case)

Can that be forgiven?!! Im with Blandy on the SMiths, a top band, but certainly not the greatest; that would be A Certain Ratio or Durrutti Column!

ACR ? Durrutti Column? What next Stockholms Monsters, come on lets face it ACR and Vini Reilly were an interesting aside nothing more nothing less

I mean have you listened to "Sextet" its utter rubbish

I did wonder :oops: I agree about Duritti, I have a few albums, song for dawn being a favourite track of mine (I think thats what its called anyway)

but ACR always got far too much press considering what they were a new wave funk band who wore combat shorts and had nazi haircuts, arty for arty's sake

Â