The Smiths.

dont_do_it_doug.

The Smiths  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Smiths

• Yes
    • No

If there was ever any chance of liking the Smiths it went when my sister spent about four years looping their albums, whatever years it was they were out.

Drove me up the wall!!

I remember them as being huge in the 80's though.

I liked The Cure too, but only the really old stuff.

They never realy broke the charts, but they have a massive cult following.

You cant really paint them like that. They sold a lot of albums. Four studio albums, three of them reached #2 and the other one got to #1. A string of compilations went top 5 too. Their legacy, well, one of the most influential British bands of all time?

Oddly though, my favourite song to come out of that musical camp was a solo effort by Morrissey. (no prizes for guessing which) . I guess thats because im probably six or seven years too young to have appreciated The Smiths first time round, and this was the first song I recall hearing and loving.

I like googling for "Salford Lads Club" though. How many people do you reckon have recreated that photograph?

salford%20lads%20club.jpgsalford-lads-club.jpg

Moz+riders.jpgSalfordVisit.jpg

C_71_article_1041599_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg2599091622_6170c672e8.jpg

Blimey this must take the record for the oldest thread revival!

:oops:

didn't notice that until you mentioned it

me too

Another band Ive been listening to recently (as you can tell by my avatar)

I was racking my brains trying to come up with a connection between Chipper Jones and the Smiths :oops:

Its funny this thread has popped up from 4 years ago because I've just been getting in to the Smiths for the last years or so but at the moment I just cant stop listening to them, becoming a bit obessed. An absolutly fantastic band, one of the best. My personal favourite tracks would be Boy with a thorn, heaven knows I'm miserable, I started something I couldnt finish, there is a light. Tbh I could keep going, thought it would be easier to keep it to a few, but perhaps not! hey ho.

I really like The Smith, even if Morrissey is a clearing in the woods... But I massively prefered The Cure.

Same here, The Cure have been my favourite band since 1982, no reason to stop now as far as I can see. Muscially they shit all over the Smiths to be honest who were really just a half decent guitarist and a great lyricist - albeit a total wank-stain.

I really like The Smith, even if Morrissey is a clearing in the woods... But I massively prefered The Cure.

Same here, The Cure have been my favourite band since 1982, no reason to stop now as far as I can see. Muscially they shit all over the Smiths to be honest who were really just a half decent guitarist and a great lyricist - albeit a total wank-stain.

Jackson_popcorn.gif

Jackson_popcorn.gif

What are you trying to say, Marr wasn't a half-decent guitarist, or that he's better than I suggest?

If it's the latter then you're flat wrong I'm afraid. Good but not great.

Marr is a great guitarist, it was a partnership that worked fantastically, but some people I know say 'I love the smiths tunes but the lyrics are depressing' and only really listen to the smiths for Marrs great guitar riffs. Anyway have a look at this video from about 1min 50s. Not a bad refernece unless you think noel gallagher is shit, which I suppose is possible.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1MsuoNJQ3U

Thats what some people I know say, personally i think the lyrics are **** hilarous at times, and pretty inspired at others. Btw the friends of mine who have levelled this accusation at the Smiths arent massive fans, just saying that they are more interested in the melody of the songs.

Marr is a great guitarist, it was a partnership that worked fantastically, but some people I know say 'I love the smiths tunes but the lyrics are depressing' and only really listen to the smiths for Marrs great guitar riffs. Anyway have a look at this video from about 1min 50s. Not a bad refernece unless you think noel gallagher is shit, which I suppose is possible.

Gallagher is a competent guitarist just like Marr was...Marr wrote better riffs is the only difference. Neither are great guitarists though which was my point - the Cure have Smith and Thompson, both of whom are great guitarists, also Gallup who is one of the best bassists I've ever heard and when they were at their very best they had Boris Williams on drums who was also great. The Smiths had a very weak bassist and drummer which isn't good for a 4 piece band. I never found their lyrics depressing at all, mostly just amusing tongue in cheek stuff. Anyone that said The Smiths were depressing was obviously just too thick to 'get it'.....but that doesn't stop Morrissey being an absolute word removed.

Gallagher is a competent guitarist just like Marr was...Marr wrote better riffs is the only difference. Neither are great guitarists though which was my point - the Cure have Smith and Thompson, both of whom are great guitarists, also Gallup who is one of the best bassists I've ever heard and when they were at their very best they had Boris Williams on drums who was also great. The Smiths had a very weak bassist and drummer which isn't good for a 4 piece band. I never found their lyrics depressing at all, mostly just amusing tongue in cheek stuff. Anyone that said The Smiths were depressing was obviously just too thick to 'get it'.....but that doesn't stop Morrissey being an absolute word removed.

The mates of mine that say the smiths are depressing genuinely aren't stupid people just they're not massive fans of any music pre-1990's, and when I'm playing some Smiths and they hear Lyrics like, 'girlfriend in a coma' or ' and if a ten ton truck, kills the both of us' and 'heaven knows I'm miserable now' they turn to me and and say 'God, how depressing are these?' I just say, 'nah you should listen to them'. Funnily enough I heard the same mate humming their tunes later that day, which I duly pulled him up on.

A couple people questioned whether they had any hit singles or albums ... well, they definitely didn't have any here in the US I can assure you. I didn't catch on until around 1989 (when I was 15) but I was a huge fan. However, it's hard to listen to them objectively these days having played all the songs a million times back in the day. Still, "Hand that Rocks the Cradle" and "Rusholme Ruffians" are two tracks that immediately come to mind (although like most of you, I could name dozens).

Great thing about the Smiths was that even their little known B-sides like "Accept Yourself" and "Jeanne" were great songs. Also loved the 'Hatful of Hollow' version of "Reel Around the Fountain."

Saw Moz at Madison Square Garden on his first solo tour back in '91 and it was a huge thrill at the time. Saw him a couple more times on the 'Your Arsenal' tour in '92. Realy liked most of his solo stuff but haven't bought a Moz album since about 1997.

I was into Zeppelin, Maiden, Hendrix, Marley..... I did not like The Smiths, or any of that British new wave stuff.

But when I hear it now, they sound good. I have a new appreciation for them.

I voted "no" - The Smiths are OK in small doses - and I admit to having hated the "Manchester Brit-pop" thing (Stone Roses, et al) at the time - but now, having mellowed out over the years, I've realised that stuff wasn't half bad at all (still detest Oasis, though!)

Love them. And Marr is a great guitarist IMO - was doing stuff that no-one else was, and without him there may not have been a John Squire and my Uni days without I Am The Resurrection or Waterfall would have been unthinkable.

Saw Mozzer a couple of years ago in Newcastle and he opened with How Soon Is Now. Marvellous. Not sure what my favourite Smiths song is though - probably Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now at the minute. My favourite Mozzer song is Suedehead.

Â