The Smiths.

dont_do_it_doug.

The Smiths  

86 members have voted

1. 1. The Smiths

• Yes
    • No

Probably right about Anthony H Wilson, can't stand the bloke, I had the pleasure of knocking him back at the free trade hall in Manchester once (at a Mondays gig - "your names not on the list.........!") - made me laugh for days - no joke

Don't believe those music journo's, saw ACR a few times - they weren't that good to be honest, much prefered the early incarnation of James (similar time frame and label), who were shambolic but entertaining, I always found ACR a tad dull even live

Don't anybody slag off the Railway Children if you don't mind! Certainly they don't deserve mentioning in the same breath as the lamentable Northside!

And as for the Housemartins in my opinion one of the great bands of the eighties. Bitter, acerbic lyrics wrapped up in great pop tunes, and absolutely superb live. London 0, Hull 4 is still an album that I listen to regularly.

I ve got the Railway Children debut album; but like several other bands that left Factory, like OMD, after they left Factory, things weren’t ever the same. Brighter is a fantastic single and one of these days I must buy the album on CD. Agree Northside were shite; utter shite!

And as for the drummer in the Housemartins (Hugh Whittaker) I met him a few times and a nicer more down to earth bloke you couldn't hope to meet. He was roundly ripped off by a business associate, so he responded in the only possible way: tried to burn down the bloke's house and do him in with an axe! Could have happened to any of us!

Often wondered if he's been released yet?

I overheard the one in the Ugly South saying that he thought Whittaker had been barking mad for at least two years prior to the attack but maybe that was just old band rivalries

• 4 years later...

Never really liked The Smiths at the time but years later a few of their tracks turned up on the Happy Daze compilation albums i used to buy and I became a fan

As for the housemartins debate .. loved them , their Now That's What i call quite good (their greatest hits album) has some really funny linear notes on it .... "Five Get Over Excited" was really good but " Flag Day" was their finest moment ...

Hull 4 London 0 was and still is a great album

never really got into the Beautiful South.. they were a group your parents would listen to on the radio ....

Often wondered if he's been released yet?

I overheard the one in the Ugly South saying that he thought Whittaker had been barking mad for at least two years prior to the attack but maybe that was just old band rivalries

Blimey this must take the record for the oldest thread revival!

And yes Bicks, he has been released.

Oh and glad The Smiths have had such an effect DDID! Best band ever.

A top, top, band (but not the best ever).

Absolutely.

Boy, I'm feeling a tad old with people saying that they've never heard of them and their music never really broke the charts.

I think my favourite Smiths track is Ask....

Mine is 'What she said'.

What she said was sad

But then, all the rejection she's had

To pretend to be happy

Could only be idiocy

La, la, la, la, la, laaaa

Beautifully depressing and baleful lyrics.

EDIT: And I have only just noticed how old this thread was. :lol:

Nope, it's Bigmouth Strikes Again

Is there a guitar player in the world other than Johnny Marr who could play that?

Or maybe it's Rubber Ring?

Haunting track, only Morrissey could get away with singing about his own downfall and only succeed in endearing us to him even more.

Went to see the man himself many moons ago at Wolverhampton Civic, had to que forever but well worth it :lol::lol::lol:

I went to that too. I was only 15 at the time and remember the queue turning into a scary crush as everyone edged their way towards the doors even though they hadn't been opened. It was that bad that I nearly bailed out at one point after having already spent 6 hours waiting. Got in in the end and agree that it was definitely worth it.

I should listen to more of the Smiths. Only ever really gone for the singles. Morrisey sometimes grates on me in the other bits and bobs I've heard, and other times he sounds perfect. Favourite song would be the one containing Marr's favourite riff, How Soon Is Now.

heaven knows im miserable now

or that one that goes "16, clumsy and shym i went to london and i... booked myself in at the y... w.c.a. i said i like it here, can i stay? and do you have a vacancy.. for a back..scrubber"

Â