Stephen Ireland

Richard

This is a guy who has a fundamental flaw in his character and although I accept there has been signs of improvement towards the latter part of the season he is just as likely to flip to the SI that couldn't give a shit. Technically I agree that he is good but I do not see enough consistency or end product he spends too much time on the edge of the action with only fleeting contributions

What we should be doing is getting the new manager to bring in more quality within the squad so that SI can become a very useful member of that squad. imo SI is not good enough to warrant building a team around

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably alone on here in thinking Ireland has been shite once again last season. How he got player of the season is a joke and is beyond me.

However, with 2 strong CM's behind him, I could definitely see him doing well playing support striker behind a finisher like Bent.

Note 2 strong CM's does NOT mean Herd and Clark! We need 2 quality signings there.

Ditto ^

Said the same before and got 'attacked' on here for saying it. He is shite and he really does not give a shit. Puts 80% effort in at most and for one excellent pass he does about 5 shit ones per game. Get rid off him. Prefer Bannan to be honest

:bonk: :wave::crylaugh:

Bannan better than Ireland. Yeah that little guy that knocks 60 yard passes to the opposition. Good call

I'm no Ireland lover - imo shit is a bit extreme but so are the calls for our team to be built around him. As for Bannan Championship player at best

He's our best player/most technically gifted, why would you not want to build a team around him??

Because he hasn't proven anything in Villa colours for 2 years. To build a team around such a player, it's a huge call. You said earlier about giving him no position etc..and let him roam. He has scored 1 goal and has 3 assists or something in his 2 seasons at the club! Clearly he has improved but do you put the whole teams attacking and defensive structure around a player who has yet to prove he can do it. We'd need 10 goals, 10 assists and consistently our best player over the season, is he that man? I don't know.

Let's not forget his wages, we're a team trying to reduce the wage bill and build a strong competitive squad on a budget, his wages could see two really smart players in our team for example a Mark Davies and Stuart Holden wages both together would come to around what Ireland is earning by himself. I think that is something to take into account.

I'm probably alone on here in thinking Ireland has been shite once again last season. How he got player of the season is a joke and is beyond me.

However, with 2 strong CM's behind him, I could definitely see him doing well playing support striker behind a finisher like Bent.

Note 2 strong CM's does NOT mean Herd and Clark! We need 2 quality signings there.

Ditto ^

Said the same before and got 'attacked' on here for saying it. He is shite and he really does not give a shit. Puts 80% effort in at most and for one excellent pass he does about 5 shit ones per game. Get rid off him. Prefer Bannan to be honest

Bannan better than Ireland. Yeah that little guy that knocks 60 yard passes to the opposition. Good call

I'm no Ireland lover - imo shit is a bit extreme but so are the calls for our team to be built around him. As for Bannan Championship player at best

He's our best player/most technically gifted, why would you not want to build a team around him??

Well then surely other clubs will be in for him this summer? Any other decent players we've had have been off so surely Ireland will be as well?

If the club/new manager wants to sell him, then he'll probably go.

However, one thing about SI is that he's not the type of player to move on simply chasing a higher pay packet. He actually likes it at Villa. He likes it more now than he did 12 months ago, probably because he's playing football in exchange for wages. He wants to do well here, he feels like he's turned a corner (in terms of form and his relationship with supporters) and he doesn't feel the need to move on. If a new manager has other ideas, he'll try to earn his right to stay. He definitely definitely won't spit the dummy out if he isn't picked for the team, as you'll have seen this season. Wasn't in the team, worked hard in training to earn his right to play and then played well when given the chance.

He also feels he has a good relationship with the RL/PF in the aftermath of the Houllier debacle and is enjoying feeling part of the club.

Ditto ^

Because he hasn't proven anything in Villa colours for 2 years. To build a team around such a player, it's a huge call. You said earlier about giving him no position etc..and let him roam. He has scored 1 goal and has 3 assists or something in his 2 seasons at the club! Clearly he has improved but do you put the whole teams attacking and defensive structure around a player who has yet to prove he can do it. We'd need 10 goals, 10 assists and consistently our best player over the season, is he that man? I don't know.

He didnt play in his natural position once last season that i can remember. We have not come anywhere near to seeing the best from Stephen Ireland. If we get someone in like Martinez who wants to play attacking free flowing football, i would expect Ireland would be the first person he would sit down with and tell him his plans.

If Villa fans want to return to playing nice, attractive, attacking football...which we all do, then Stephen Ireland is essential to that.

Lets not kid ourselves, to replace Stephen Ireland with someone else who has his vision and technical ability, you are talking in excess of £10-12m.

Ireland is clearly one of those players that will always have fans knocking him.

I think it's harsh. He joined a team when the manager that wanted him left. Houllier clearly didn't like him and he was one of a few players that fell out with that prick.

He then plays under our worst manager we've probably ever had in a team focused on defence. He was our best player in many games and IMO his work rate has been one of the things that's impressed me most this season.

I think he can play in a midfield 2 or 3 and is the type of player we should be looking at as a key player for next season.

Getting rid of him would be a joke and replacing him with bannan would be even worse.

The guy gets far too much grief.

I'd like to sell Ireland and get somebody similar who sits a bit further back to control the game and make key passes. I like Ireland but I cant help but think that one of the reasons we saw players like Gardner sitting back this season was that Ireland was further forwards.

Kind of similar to how Lampard and Gerrard shouldnt play together as they both think to go forwards. Gardner should be making those late runs into the box and putting in long range shots (Milner/Gerrard-esque) where as Ireland is always looking to pass the ball on the edge of the box. He had a few shots but so many times last season I was thinking SHOOT! and he'd flail about trying to pass. Which is a shame cause he doesn't have a bad shot when he remembers he can.

Ditto ^

He didnt play in his natural position once last season that i can remember. We have not come anywhere near to seeing the best from Stephen Ireland. If we get someone in like Martinez who wants to play attacking free flowing football, i would expect Ireland would be the first person he would sit down with and tell him his plans.

If Villa fans want to return to playing nice, attractive, attacking football...which we all do, then Stephen Ireland is essential to that.

Lets not kid ourselves, to replace Stephen Ireland with someone else who has his vision and technical ability, you are talking in excess of £10-12m.

Bar Bent, I don't think theres a single player in the squad that is worth anywhere near 10-12m based on performances last season.

Ditto ^

Bar Bent, I don't think theres a single player in the squad that is worth anywhere near 10-12m based on performances last season.

Im not saying SI is worth that amount, just that to find someone who can do what he is capable of doing, that is what you would need to spend.

• 1 month later...

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2012/06/21/play-stephen-ireland-aston-villa-boss-urged/

Darren Bent today urged Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert to give Stephen Ireland a long run in a midfield playmaker role when the new season kicks off.

Ireland picked up the 2011-12 supporters’ player of the season award having produced some encouraging performances after a difficult first campaign with the claret and blues.

But Bent believes there is more to come from his Villa team-mate provided he is utilised in his favoured position behind the striker where he can be more of a creative influence.

“There’s no point playing Stevie Ireland one game and then moving him to the right and then taking him out of the team,” said Bent.

“You’ve got to play Stevie Ireland four or five games in that position and go from there.

“For me, he’s the best footballer in the squad, and if you want to see the best Stephen Ireland and get the best out of him you need to be playing him.

“As a striker you want to have somebody like that picking out your runs and playing passes to give you more chances and the best way to do that is to play him in the ‘hole’.

“Confidence can make a massive difference to any player and when he is feeling good about himself the performances will follow.”

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2012/06/21/play-stephen-ireland-aston-villa-boss-urged/#ixzz1yQhEliir

Ireland with better players around him would be an asset to the team. There is no point in selling our better players while we are re-building. However If he is not part of the new managers plans then so be it.

Fix the defence and we are in pretty good shape.. If Lambert can get some of the players playing well then were are set. Yes we would love Lambert to go in and buy 9 players but I think Lambert could get us firing with just 3-4 players in.