Stephen Ireland

Richard

in all fairness when we have the ball he is the only player pushing us on and creating anything, when we dont have the ball he is the only player running his ass off trying to close the opposition down - what more do you want from him exactly? He cant win matches on his own

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed with this....

i don't really care what it took to fire him up, but it appears to have worked. workrate has increased massively in last few games he has played and has looked amongst our more creative players... feeding through to some forwards that believe they can score and we should start seeing some real reward for his workrate.

Yep another ' brilliant' performance

One or two nice touches and passes followed by huge periods of nothing. yet these one or two moments of brilliance seem enough to get him motm.

Oh well we are easily pleased since we become so mind numbingly boring and predictable

carefull mate, you will upset the stevie Ireland fan club

I'm quite interested to see your opinion on what a good performance by an attacking midfielder entails, and how Ireland fails to achieve that and is objectively a (your words) "shite player".

He is the only player we have that has any technical quality at all. The managers negative tactics have really held him back this season attacking wise, hopefully we get a new manager who plays decent football and he will shine even more.

I actually dont think that stephen ireland is shit i just believe that in a side so bereft of any attacking intent that the one or two moments were ireland produces sticks in everybodies mind and he ends up winning motm. for me the contributions of given herd clarke and even heskey were more fundamental to the winning of a point.

What i really cant believe is this notion that we should build a team around him.

Ireland is only 'standing out' because of the lack of quality within the squad and because of the negative tactics employed by our manager. i can guarantee that if we improved the quality of our side we would soon be moaning about how little he contribute and how much more we expect from him.

Its all about the perception of his ability. when he first came our perception/expectations of him were high and when he was surrounded by better quality he failed to deliver. now the quality is lower he 'stands out'

my opinion of him is that he would make a very good squad player in a better team

I actually dont think that stephen ireland is shit i just believe that in a side so bereft of any attacking intent that the one or two moments were ireland produces sticks in everybodies mind and he ends up winning motm. for me the contributions of given herd clarke and even heskey were more fundamental to the winning of a point.

What i really cant believe is this notion that we should build a team around him.

Ireland is only 'standing out' because of the lack of quality within the squad and because of the negative tactics employed by our manager. i can guarantee that if we improved the quality of our side we would soon be moaning about how little he contribute and how much more we expect from him.

Its all about the perception of his ability. when he first came our perception/expectations of him were high and when he was surrounded by better quality he failed to deliver. now the quality is lower he 'stands out'

my opinion of him is that he would make a very good squad player in a better team

I think the fact that he stood out when surrounded by such players as Robinho and Elano and won City's pots award in 09 sort of undermines your argument.

Villaboy69, Ireland is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of our team techinically. I dont really see your point.... Your saying that he stands out because the rest of the team is shite, what would you prefer?? Would you prefer him to be at the level of our other players? He stands out because he is a very good football player, One of the only exciting things this season has been Ireland. I enjoy watching him play and am gutted when he is not in the team, we also clearly missed him when he was out injured recently.

Your opinion of him being that he would be a very good squad player in a better team is a pointless thing to say aswell...

Trapatoni is talking about playing Ireland behind Robbie Keane for the World cup qualifiers

Perhaps someone should tell him there is a major problem with this plan.

That problem has, to all intents and purposes, resolved itself. SI has been reaching out to the ROI setup for a year or so but Trap (quite rightly, IMO) wouldn't consider SI for the Euros.

Villaboy69, Ireland is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of our team techinically.

You maybe surprised but I kind of agree with this but technique only gets you so far

I dont really see your point.... Your saying that he stands out because the rest of the team is shite, what would you prefer?? Would you prefer him to be at the level of our other players? He stands out because he is a very good football player, One of the only exciting things this season has been Ireland. I enjoy watching him play and am gutted when he is not in the team, we also clearly missed him when he was out injured recently.

[b]I wasn't saying he stands out from my point of view I was trying to say that his fleeting contributions make him stand out for other people due to the disappointing nature of our play this season

Your opinion of him being that he would be a very good squad player in a better team is a pointless thing to say aswell...

All I was trying to demonstrate was that imo is that he certainly would not get into any of the teams of the last 2/3 years and with a little investment in the squad his place in the team would come under serious threat. As we stand then yes I would include him in our 'best' starting eleven

I agree that technique gets you only so far, But I sometimes think people forget why they watch football. For me I would much rather watch technical players than players like Agbonlahor, Heskey, Warnock, Hutton, Albrighton etc etc try really hard but fail. I Watch football to be entertained and has crazy as this sounds I would rather villa finished 15th than 8/9th playing attacking football.

Players like Ireland /and Nzogbia may be odd and annoying characters but I would much rather watch them play.

This is Slightly off point though....

I feel Ireland would have been great in some of our past teams, Playing in front of Barry and Milner Ireland would excel. Put a forward in front of him with an ounce of a football brain and he would be even better. Im not trying to say hes world class but I think if played well He is a great assest to this club.

All I was trying to demonstrate was that imo is that he certainly would not get into any of the teams of the last 2/3 years and with a little investment in the squad his place in the team would come under serious threat. As we stand then yes I would include him in our 'best' starting eleven.

Massively disagree.

I think a front five of

--------------- DCM --------------- NRC for me the best DCM we have had

--------- Milner --------------------

Downing ------ SI ----------- Ash

-------------- Bent/Gab ----------

Would be really exciting.

SI is the first truly creative forward thinking ACM/link midfielder that we have had. But he needs to play in a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 to give him the freedom.