Stephen Ireland

Richard

Gazton, is Ireland 'one of the lads' or does he keep himself to himself? Does he feel 'part of the team'?

From the images posted on the training field and on a night out he certainly seems like one of the lads, he's definitely not like Makoun who right now seems to prefer being the quiet professional.. Ireland seems to be enjoying himself out there.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MatKendrick Mat Kendrick

Oh, just quickly, not sure when #avfc squad list will be announced, but @DarrenBent WILL wear number 9 and Stephen Ireland will wear 7

I came to that conclusion this morning because in the online shop with the new away hero shirts...the only two they seem to not have listed are Bent's and Ireland's

MatKendrick Mat Kendrick

Oh, just quickly, not sure when #avfc squad list will be announced, but @DarrenBent WILL wear number 9 and Stephen Ireland will wear 7

It sounds like he might actually be willing to give it a go this season. I hope he does because there is a cracking player in there somewhere.

Surely we should give him the number 8 shirt?

7 = Right winger

8 = Central midfielder (attacking)

Good shout, hopefully the number 10 shirt remains free and big mack is going to surprise us with a nice signing!! 8)

I've always seen 7 as the "glamour" number ala Beckham etc.

And let's face it, he's our only realistic chance at a great season, let's make him the centre of attention and watch him shine!

I've always seen 7 as the "glamour" number ala Beckham etc.

And let's face it, he's our only realistic chance at a great season, let's make him the centre of attention and watch him shine!

On a sunny day that will happen.. We'll watch the sunlight bounce off his head.

Stephen Ireland is ready to make a fresh start to his Villa career, insisting: "I'll give my all for the cause."

The Irish midfielder endured a difficult first season after joining from Manchester City last August.

He picked up a couple of niggling injuries and then slipped down the pecking order under former boss Gerard Houllier.

A frustrating loan spell at Newcastle followed when an ankle problem restricted him to just two appearances.

But Ireland is determined to kickstart his claret and blue career under new manager Alex McLeish.

"You have to start with a fresh new slate now," he said. "It didn't go off with a bang like I wanted it to when I first signed here.

"I just want to be given the opportunity to play. Last year I felt in training I had done enough to get that chance to play but it didn't happen for me for whatever reason.

"I want to play as often as I can and that is why you do pre-season - to stamp your name on the teamsheet as early as you can and then maintain it all season.

"There is a lot I want to give for the team and the cause and I am hoping I get a fair shot."

A major regret for Ireland since his switch from Eastlands is the lack of opportunities to shine in front of the Villa faithful.

That is something he hopes to address quickly with consistent performances.

"That's my main goal and my target," Ireland said. "I haven't played enough games and that's what I intend to put right.

"The only way of me building up a better relationship with the fans is by playing, regardless of what's said in the press.

"You do the talking on the field and that's exactly what I want to do.

"The fans are brilliant and all I ever wanted was to play in front of them but I haven't been given those opportunities.

"Summer has gone and pre-season is here and we just need to move on with the new manager and new staff."

Ireland revealed he is set to claim his favourite no.7 shirt for the 2011-12 campaign after it was vacated by Ashley Young.

The reshuffle will allow Darren Bent to take the traditional goalscorer's no.9 jersey.

"Darren's taking no.9 and I'm taking no.7," he added. "My number has always been seven, but when I came here Ash had got that number.

"But now I've got the one I want and so has Darren so we're really happy about that.

"I've always worn the no.7 since I was a young boy and it's the number I love. It kind of is a superstitious thing.

"The no.9 probably comes with a bit more pressure but I'm sure Darren can handle that and score the goals and hopefully I can do what a number seven should and set him up for a few of them."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2389485,00.html

I'm happy to give the guy a fair chance this season, if he can recapture his form of 2 years ago or get close then we got a player on our hands. Manager seems to have faith in his ability from the vibes and after being given the number 7 shirt.

That's what we want to hear Stephen! Can call it media or typical sort of quotes, but he comes across hungry in this piece and if it's the case we're going to benefit from that hugely. But as ever in football, time will eventually tell.

I'm feeling good vibes this season for him, as long as he isn't asked to play in a 2 man mid and we give him a decent run we will see what a player we have!