Stephen Ireland

Richard

I think with Stan and Delph coming back in, the door could be re-opened for Ireland. It probably wasnt fair to rely on him as the senior player alongside Hogg & Clark, but he could be given a bit more license to roam about with a bit more solidity behind him. Not to mention the fact that we could have 3 players who can play football together.

Yes and NRC on the solidity part.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Petrov would simply be glad to be on the pitch with someone else who wants to be playing.

That said, on current form I'd park the proverbial bus against Chelsea and leave the football playing for Sunderland.

I think he will get rid of the people stiring the most shit, Carew, Sidwell and Beye seems like they will be gone...Then see how the team will react.

That's what I think anyway, a couple of jounro's have said Carew and Beye will be out and we knew about Sidwell anyway.

I personally don't think we should be getting rid of Ireland.

Not unless he really really wants to go.

He's still got class, and at the very least he should be desperate to play well to engineer a move away in the summer. At the most, he should be wanting to show us Villa fans, and the rest of the PL what he can really do and help us get out of this mess.

As much as he has not done anything since he joined (apart from a one on one against Chelsea early on), i think with a creative CM he can work in the whole, but then Houllier says Ireland will never play there again.

He will shine in the team once Delph and Petrov are playing, and that is something I have been waiting for for some time.

Has Ireland only played for us alongside Hogg and Bannan?

In which case, I think it's only right we give him a few more chances alongside a few more senior players.

I've slated Petrov alot in his time here, but this period without him has shown how much we actually need him. As good as Bannan has been, we have really lacked that bit of experience and composure in midfield, someone who can just dictate the tempo of the game.. Bannan is always looking for that instant-success pass and playing at a high tempo, which isn't a bad thing - but sometimes we just need to be a little more relaxed. You don't get much more relaxed than Petrov and Ireland :P Hopefully their class will shine through, though.

I think with Stan and Delph coming back in, the door could be re-opened for Ireland. It probably wasnt fair to rely on him as the senior player alongside Hogg & Clark, but he could be given a bit more license to roam about with a bit more solidity behind him. Not to mention the fact that we could have 3 players who can play football together.

Spot on, ireland's a bit lightweight himself and he was the main figure as the senior player in that midfield, he could have a chance to shine with more senior's back.

What evidence is there to suggest he is back in the fold? I for one would also be happy, as I mentioned in another post i want him to come

Good for the team. Like most of you have said, if we get him into the team With Petrov, Young, downing, NRC/albrighton in the midfield we could be onto a winner.

Have we played consecutive matches with the same team at any point this season?

The thing that troubles me about Ireland's treatment of late is that I thought he was starting to come out of his shell against Liverpool. OK the whole team we're poor, but it wasnt really a game to judge a troubled player by. It seems inexplicable that he's dropped completely after this game when he was showing signs of progress.

I thought he showed some good signs in that game too, but as you say the team were poor.

I agree. The vast majority of the team have been poor in a lot of games but it seems a couple of players have been made scape goats.

Ireland to me is a far better option than Pires at least the lad can start a game and actually keep up with those around him.

Interesting to see if he is in the squad on Sunday.

How F******* noble of Houllier.

I bet Ireland cant wait to bust a gut to keep this guy in a job.

indeed,that also goes for Dunne and Carew..i want GedtheRed gone but i hope for the sake of AstonVilla that the whole situation can be sorted out..i wonder has GH had a team meeting to sort everything out,or if he hasn't would it be worth his while.there could be to much water under the bridge at this stage for some players,and the only way to get this team ticking again is for a new manager and coaching staff..i wonder would GH changing his coaching staff work?.

Just watching Houllier's press conference. The Sky reporter is clearly poking him looking for a reaction.

Houllier's response "There is a way back for him into the team, probably."

I hope for our sakes that we get a in form SI firing for us for the rest of the season.