Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me Milner has shown glimpses of class for City against Arsenal, two moments which show if he was played in the middle he could do some damage but hey hope they continue to slate him. The first was a through ball to Richards, the second was where he dragged it back from his right to his left and put Silva in only for a good save from the Arsenal keeper, but similar to Ireland it is just glimpses. I look at Barry and just think your career is going the drain son, as soon as they reach Champions League your 'gone'.

OT but Milner could be an awesome player for Citeh, BUT (IMO) only if they deploy him as an attacking CM'er.

He is a better winger now than he was when he first arrived at VP BUT he is not a top 4 winger. He is, again IMO, a top 4 ACM.

If Citeh don't want him to play there, he should come back and play for us. I always wanted to see a CM of:

----------------- NRC --------------------

----------------------------- Delph -------

----- Jimmy -----------------------------

Milner had the energy and drive that suited our style of play so well but lacked the final touch of class, which is being shown up at Citeh now when they expect their players to do something out of nothing every week.

No, he's just being used as a winger. When was he ever more than a £7-8 million player as a winger at Villa? Never.

Central midfield though, he'd score goals, create goals, great passing, energy, he was a £20-25 million player.

Man City though have bought that £20-25 million and made him back to a £7-8 million player which is kinda funny.

Ireland off after 60 minutes again tonight... Hope things pick up for him, although I think he could do with a few more full games. I thought he was unlucky to get substituted against Chelsea and he shows glimpses of class. I am not worried yet, Milner and Petrov weren't great when they first came here after all, but I can't say that he's performing as well as I hoped he would.

Ireland may take time, he strikes me as the type of player that needs to be in his comfort zone to flourish. I'd imagine he's still just getting used to the players and tactics and his new life. I think Ireland has a very different personality to Nigel... Ireland being more of the slightly strange genius type player.... cant really compare the two, IMO.

Its going to take him a while after 12 months without any football!

funny how its not the same for born again Nigel

Thats hardly a good comparison!

NRC has been with this group of players for years now.

Its going to take him a while after 12 months without any football!

funny how its not the same for born again Nigel

Thats hardly a good comparison!

NRC has been with this group of players for years now.

Exactly what I was about to say. Dumb comparison really since NRC has been here for years and Ireland has made a life-changing move, it's not just about how gifted a player you are, all sorts of factors come in to play.

I really hope he comes good for us, just at the moment he doesn't seem like a good fit, and he was subbed again tonight. Makes me concerned that Houllier isn't very fond of him. Too early to tell though.

Thought he had a decent game today, would have took Bannan off before him as he looked out of his depth a little. Ireland was making some quality passes and through balls but for most of the first half he was playing as a CF!!

Thats what he gets for choosing the number 9 shirt! ;-)

In all seriousness, this weekend he will be a hero. Mark my words!

We're not really playing to Ireland's strengths yet. Although we are playing a more expansive game than under MON, it's still not to the level of pass and move that would get the best out of him. I haven't seen any of tonight's game to comment, but in the Chelsea/Sunderland games he was coming short to try and receive from Young, but getting frustrated as Young cut back in or out and tried to cross. There's only so many times you can make yourself available, only to be ignored.

It will come though, once they get an understanding they'll be scary.